Potential burglary during broad daylight?

This is a discussion on Potential burglary during broad daylight? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This happened about a year ago but a recent thread made me think of it. It was about 1 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. ...

Thread: Potential burglary during broad daylight?

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar

Potential burglary during broad daylight?

This happened about a year ago but a recent thread made me think of it.

It was about 1 in the afternoon on a Tuesday. It was my day off. I went out to check the mail & saw a suspicious looking character looking the house at the end of the street, corner house. On my way back from the mailbox to the house I notice the screen for the front window sitting in the bushes & now he's trying to open the window. I know the home owner & it was not him.

A little background on the home owner. He's a nice guy but definitely NOT the kind of guy you want to mess with. He's had run-ins with the police, but that was a few years ago. He seems to be headed in the right direction now, married, good job etc. He has a medium sized Doberman inside the house, nice dog. He has a VERY LARGE Doberman in the back yard, not such a nice dog. Pure watch dog. He is kept outside most of the time in a 6 ft privacy fence. We live in a very small town with a low crime rate.

Anyway, I notice the guy trying to pull the window up so I try to call the homeowner on his cell phone. Voicemail. Then the guy goes to the side of the house (away from my view). He then comes back to the front of the house & glances over & sees me looking at him. He then goes to the back yard (from the side where I can see him). I can't believe that he wasn't mauled by his VERY LARGE dog. I figured that maybe they were out of town & took the dogs with them at that point. I've met the dog, there's no way he would let somebody back there.

I walk inside & dial 911, tell them what I saw. I can't believe that this guy looks like he's breaking in in broad daylight! I figure maybe it's some guy wacked out on drugs or something. My family & I were getting ready to leave in a few minutes. I told my wife that we were staying put until this was resolved by the police. He knows where we live & saw me checking him out. I do not want a molotov cocktail thrown through our window while we're gone. Or anything else for that matter.

The cops call back & get a more detailed description & the last location of the guy. About 1 1/2 min after dialing 911 a cop drove up & parked across the street from us. We live about 4 houses up from him on the opposite side of the street. 2 houses over & across the street is a sheriff deputy's house. He was not home. Anyway, the cop comes toward our house & I meet him outside to give him the scoop. He starts walking towards the house with his sidearm in the low ready position. About 5 seconds later I see a cop hauling butt in a squad car from the road behind the house in question towards the location. At this point I go back inside the house & let the professionals take care of business. About 20 minutes later a cop rings our door bell. He tells me that apparently the homeowners brother is staying with him for a while & locked himself out. I laughed & sighed at the same time. I told him that I thought maybe it was some wacked out druggie looking for drugs/cash. He said that that does happen, glad I called 911. Better to be safe than sorry. He also told me that he's glad that he didn't have to climb over the fence for the guy when he saw the size of that dog in the back yard. At that point my wife & I looked at each other in amazement as the cop was about 5' 7", 300#.

BTW, I did have my CCW on me the whole time. At no time did I feel like were in immediate danger but did alert my wife to what was going on & that she was to take the kid & dog to our bedroom if anything was going to happen. I'm glad the cop came back to our house to tell us what was going on. That's the good thing about living in a small town that believes in community policing.

I didn't see the homeowner for a few weeks after that. When he did see me, he asked if I was the one who called the cops. I told him I was & he thanked me for keeping an eye of his house. When I saw his younger brother, he looked a lot like him, only about 100# lighter & longer scraggly looking hair. I'm glad it turned out like it did. I would've felt really uneasy for a long time had the cops not found him.

As a side note, my good friend right next door became a cop in our neighboring town recently. That's a really good thing. He told me that if he ever heard our address on the radio that he'd be there in a heartbeat ready to kick butt & take names later. We each have keys for each others house (and alarm code) in case something happens while we're gone or if we need to borrow any tools, etc.

2. Remove Ads

Sounds like you have a friendly neighborhood. Consider yourself lucky. Nice job watching out for you neighbor as well. There are a lot of people that wouldn't do that. I think most people would be surprised to know how many burglaries happen in broad daylight instead of the dead of night. More people are at work during the day and at home at night.

Burglaries

I have been a burglar hunter for almost 30 years. For those that don't know over 90% of residential burglaries happen during the day when the hooks (read crooks) expect everyone to be at work or in school. Conversly over 90% of business are burglarized at night. The nighttime home invasion is a rare thing but increasing in frequency.

24/7 is the dirt bag's choice.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links