Last nights strange noise, and forums good advice - Page 2

Last nights strange noise, and forums good advice

This is a discussion on Last nights strange noise, and forums good advice within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; To hardwire a switch like that would of course be easier while the house was being built. Tough/expensive to do after it's built though. As ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Last nights strange noise, and forums good advice

VIP Member
    To hardwire a switch like that would of course be easier while the house was being built. Tough/expensive to do after it's built though. As you said, some wireless feature would be workable.

Remember the clap-on clap-off light switche commercials that were controlled by clapping your hands? How about those going on and off during a shoot out?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I've seen ads on TV lately for a remote "anywhere" wireless switch. In the commercial, they even show one on a bedside table.
    Earth is the insane asylum of the universe!

I recommend a motion sensing alarm throughout the house, and a keypad near the master bedroom as well as main entrance door.

This way, if anything's open, the alarm's beeping will help to wake you up, and let the BG know he's on a tight schedule. Also helps b/c if I hit the panic button, all hell breaks loose, and the cops are on the way. (No time required to call them)

In my 2 story house, can't hear ANYTHING going on downstairs when I'm in the bedroom. So, if I hear an odd noise, I don't really worry about it unless my downstairs motion alarms pick it up... Very useful, and not very expensive. ($200 initial setup, $30/month for servicing. Includes smoke/door/motion/batteries/service, etc.)

But I can't tell you how many times I've searched the downstairs after forgetting to set it

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    While waiting I remember wishing I had a light switch next to my bed that would turn on all the house lights at one time, excluding the light in our bedroom.
    Check out the INSTEON product line at Smarthome.com. From what I can tell that is a system that will allow you to control several lights in your house by remote control. Actually, I think lighting is just one aspect of the entire system. It can be installed in an existing home. While I haven't used this system, I think it has some features that I will look at a lot closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    HMM food for thought, anyone have some suggestions on this? because this is something I would not mind coughing up some cash for? an emergency light switch?
    Take a look at the Lutron RadioRA system. Lutron Electronics - RadioRA wireless lighting control system. I have specified it on a few projects.

Nathan
    --
    Ruger KP97DC .45 (x2)
    Ruger P97DC .45
    Ruger 22/45 .22
    Kel-tec PF-9 9mm
    Kel-tec P3-AT .380

I've had to check on noises in the middle of the night several times. It was nice when we had dogs. They would typically alert before we heard anything, and all I'd have to do is open the bedroom door and let them go! But now we are dog-less One lived to age 15, and the other to age 16!

Only once was the noise legit. My wife had left her car door unlocked, and someone found the garage door opener and activated it! The good news is that I ALWAYS keep the door between the garage and the house locked. I had once read that the garage/house connecting door was the single most common point for illegal entry into the house.

Anyway, by time I got down there with the Glock 19, and the dogs, they were long gone. But they took the remote with them! So I close the door and unplugged the garage door opener. The next day I reprogrammed the codes on the opener and all the remotes.
    Somewhere in the Pacific NW

Quote Originally Posted by bcvojak View Post
    I've had to check on noises in the middle of the night several times. It was nice when we had dogs. They would typically alert before we heard anything, and all I'd have to do is open the bedroom door and let them go! But now we are dog-less One lived to age 15, and the other to age 16!

Only once was the noise legit. My wife had left her car door unlocked, and someone found the garage door opener and activated it! The good news is that I ALWAYS keep the door between the garage and the house locked. I had once read that the garage/house connecting door was the single most common point for illegal entry into the house.

Anyway, by time I got down there with the Glock 19, and the dogs, they were long gone. But they took the remote with them! So I close the door and unplugged the garage door opener. The next day I reprogrammed the codes on the opener and all the remotes.
    Im embarrased to say that i twice have left in a hurry and forgotten to lower the garage door :(

Luckily i lived down a dead end with neighbors who always looked out for each other, not to mention a nice neighborhood.

I came home both times so upset with myself that i finally was able to always lower the door every time, even if i was in a hurry.

Guess you sometimes have to have it happen once or twice before you learn. Luckily it wasnt a hard lesson to learn :)

On a side note, i made sure the wife and i knew to scan the area and not get out of the car until we watched in the rear view mirror the garage door come down. I remember reading about how some robbers would wait in the bushes or around the corner of the house and enter the garage just before it came down. They would then assault or rob the home owners.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dihappy View Post
    On a side note, i made sure the wife and i knew to scan the area and not get out of the car until we watched in the rear view mirror the garage door come down. I remember reading about how some robbers would wait in the bushes or around the corner of the house and enter the garage just before it came down. They would then assault or rob the home owners.
    We live out in the country, no neighbors, long private driveway, and it's DARK at night. We feel our most vulnerable position is just what you described regarding parking in the garage. We have motion lights around the house, but they can be knocked out by a BG so I can't trust them. My wife and I are both scanning when we drive in close to the house, and my CCW is in my hand until we get in the house. I'm considering installing a couple of floodlights high in a tree that will light up that side of the house. I can make them work from a remote control, so when I drive in at night I can "paint" the area with bright light, hopefully giving myself some edge.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I am a fanatic about home security, we keep all our doors locked and the garage doors closed. The alarm gets set every night and when we leave. When leaving the house I close the garage door and wait for it to close before driving out of the driveway. We have great neighbors who are very watchful and live in a small neighborhood. Hope for the best but prepare for the worse.

VIP Member
    One or two strategically placed motion sensors inside connected to lights might not be a bad idea for those who don't have cats. I have them outside but I'm going to look in to that for inside my home.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    Also living in the country (for most of my life one place or another) I know that being self sufficient in security is essential. A few things we have added in the past few years include: adjustable bars which fit under the doorknob and wedge against the floor emplaced on all exterior doors before going to bed, an exterior level metal door with deadbolt for our upstairs bedroom and security cams on both porches and inside the garage. None of this prevents entry but makes it harder and nosier and with the cameras I can check the basics without leaving the bedroom. Remote control lights are another good idea I shall look into.
    Yes, there are also pump shotguns and maglites on clips on both sides of the bed, within reach without getting up.
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links