About this "Drop Wallet" thing, how are the ladies supposed to do this with a purse?

This is a discussion on About this "Drop Wallet" thing, how are the ladies supposed to do this with a purse? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; After discussing several threads about the "Drop Wallet" in case of a mugging, with my CFO (wife) and my view on it, she brought up ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: About this "Drop Wallet" thing, how are the ladies supposed to do this with a purse?

About this "Drop Wallet" thing, how are the ladies supposed to do this with a purse?

After discussing several threads about the "Drop Wallet" in case of a mugging, with my CFO (wife) and my view on it, she brought up a good point.

What the heck are the ladies supposed to do? They can't very well carry two purses.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    carry thier cash in on them and drop thier purse.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

drop it...and pick it back up after shooting the BG.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Seems to me that a purse (bag, satche, small briefcase, whatever) can be an advantage or disadvantage, depending on how it's used.

If it's going to carry critical items (firearm, pepper spray, keys, ID, money), then it's a huge liability. Otherwise, being able to toss it in an attack situation can be advantageous, as all the critical items are retained while the thief absconds with something else.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Why is it that men can carry everything they need for the whole day in a couple of pockets, but women need a bag big enough to carry a bowling ball in?

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Husker View Post
    Why is it that men can carry everything they need for the whole day in a couple of pockets, but women need a bag big enough to carry a bowling ball in?
    According to my wife, it's because most womens clothes don't have enough pockets. And they like to carry too much junk.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

VIP Member
    It's as simple as wife pulls pin, and throws grena...I mean purse to bad guy. Problem solved :)
    Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
    I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference.

VIP Member
    I could be wrong here, but it seems that I notice a correlation between age and purse size?

I think a purse containing a water moccasin would be ideal

Really I don't have a good answer, my wife carries her pocketbook inside her purse. If she had a dummy pocketbook inside, the BG likely won't allow her to rummage through her purse to choose the dummy for him, he'll just impatiently take the whole purse. On a side note, my wife wouldn't want the dummy pocketbook anyway, as it would take up too much room. She purse carries a ccw(let's not go there right now) and she's making it work for her, a few times her radar has gone off and she has changed her "posture" so that a BG might look for a different victim and leave her alone.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Marry one and watch her buy stuff...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lets not let this get sexist guys.

Seriously, think about this one.

I would love to here from some of our lady members on this one.
    Sticks

A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

If you've seen Ron Becker's "Defending the Caveman" description of men as hunters and women as gatherers, you would understand a good part of it. A lot of women have a need to feel like they are prepared for anything that comes up. So they do carry a lot more than they NEED on an every day basis -- but on the other hand, they have "it" when they need "it" - what ever "it" is, buried in the bottom of their bags.

Practically speaking - look at the difference at how men's and women's clothing is made. Men's pants pockets have wider openings, are deeper and fuller than women's pants pockets. Men's pockets are styled to be more utilitarian. If we have pockets on women's pants, we usually can't get our hands into them comfortably much less anything else that would be considered essential. Women's pockets are not functional, they are more decorative than useful.

Secondly, the way we fill out our pants is different. Even if we aren't consided "full figured", our legs & backsides are naturally fuller than most men's. The space men use in their pants to fill stuff up in their pockets is the same space we fill up by our natural curves.

I don't carry a purse - I am too lazy to keep up with one. Instead, I keep everything on my body. I latch my keys onto my belt. I keep my wallet in my back pocket and my blackberry holstered on my belt. If I can carry, depending on the choice of the day, it will be IWB or smartcarry or IPS holster. The key for me is to buy men's pants. The styling isn't so different that anyone notices and I can have pockets I can use AND I'm not tied down to having to keep up with a purse!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy W. View Post
    According to my wife, it's because most womens clothes don't have enough pockets. And they like to carry too much junk.
    haha, yea girls are silly.
    my way to solve the problem- i dont carry a purse.
    i carry everything in my pockets. and yes girl pockets are small, but its not THAT hard.
    for the girls that do carry a purse- i HIGHLY suggest keeping the cash and the credit cards in your pocket.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Senior Moderator
    One word: Makeup.

You guys are all such creatures of the eye that we have to compete and make sure we are as beautiful or more so than the girl who just walked by. I have AT LEAST lipstick, powder, lip liner, gloss and mascara in my purse, as well as my pepper spray, sometimes spare magazine (depending on if I'm carrying a spare mag pouch or not), another knife, my wallet, some feminine products (because you can never be too prepared for THAT disaster), a few pens, hair pins (try getting into the middle of mounting a scope and having hair that goes down to your middle back and no hair thing.. it will drive you mad), a lighter (OOOooohhhh Fire!), a nail file (when you have nails that are as long as mine, breaking them is guaranteed and a file is crucial), spare keys for my parents house and car, an eraser, a cleaning cloth for my glasses and whatever else JD asks me to hold because he doesn't want to or can't fit it in his pockets.

However, everything in that purse is expendable. So, if in a mugging situation I would have no second thoughts about tossing my purse. My gun, my cell phone and at least three spare knifes (including my TDI) are all on my body.

I don't carry cash in my wallet so the only thing I would be sad to loose would be my I.D. but often that will go in my pocket anyway so even that isn't a big loss.

I'm not worried about my credit cards either because they'd be canceled before the thief would have a chance to use them.

So, I guess I would have no problem tossing my purse at a bad guy. He'd get enough to make his eyes and lips look really pretty, some pepper spray, a spare magazine (which unless he has a government sized 1911 is useless to him), canceled credit cards, spare keys to a vehicle and house over 900 miles away and hair pins... He'd be SERIOUSLY disappointed, especially when he looked up from retrieving said purse and saw Wilson's muzzle pointing at him (and Wilson has a SERIOUSLY intimidating muzzle).

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    My only recommendation would be to carry as little as possible in your purse and try to carry things that are important to you on your body. Better yet, attached to your body.

Even without being mugged, the possibility of leaving a purse in a restaurant or something is moderately high.

I don't think anyone here daily carries anything truly irreplaceable. If you are carrying something irreplaceable, stop or get it insured). If you loose a $100 purse, $60 cash, cancel your credit cards, ID, makeup, and assorted things how bad can it be? Sure you loose a few hundred dollars and its a pain to cancel or replace things, but life goes on. The scariest part is probably knowing some BG has your home address...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Quote Originally Posted by nutz4utwo View Post
    My only recommendation would be to carry as little as possible in your purse and try to carry things that are important to you on your body. Better yet, attached to your body.

Even without being mugged, the possibility of leaving a purse in a restaurant or something is moderately high.

I don't think anyone here daily carries anything truly irreplaceable. If you are carrying something irreplaceable, stop or get it insured). If you loose a $100 purse, $60 cash, cancel your credit cards, ID, makeup, and assorted things how bad can it be? Sure you loose a few hundred dollars and its a pain to cancel or replace things, but life goes on. The scariest part is probably knowing some BG has your home address...
    Quoting my statement from another thread -
    Now, regarding your statement of how easy is it to replace ones wallet and contents thereof (providing it is not a dummy wallet, and providing the mugger does not check the contents thereof before departure). The financial damage that can be caused by identity theft is HUGE, and I daresay equal to the damage that can be caused in the legal defense of a questionable shooting.

If your wallet disappears on a Friday night, the mugger has until Monday with many credit cards to max them out, create a new identity based on you, and a lifetime of dipping into and ruining your credit rating. Have you ever tried to fight with the credit bureaus to have something reversed or removed? I have and still am, and this is stemming from my mail being stolen 5 years ago.

In addition to all of this, the mugger now knows where you live, where you bank, where you shop, where you eat, what you drive, possibly where you work, married or single, family, and so on.

Never mind the hassle of waiting for replacement credit cards and bank cards, standing in line at the DMV, replacing your CC permit (My sheriffs office only accepts on Tues & Thurs 8-4), Social Security office if your SS card was in your wallet. Lots of time off from work, and lots of waiting, and reflection on your actions.

Ask again if the $50 in cash and the very detailed profile of you that you have in your wallet is worth refusing to give it up.
    This is even more important with a purse, as they likely contain much more info than a guys wallet, including pictures of said family (kids!).
    Sticks

See also Sheep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links