Real life situation with a question

This is a discussion on Real life situation with a question within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Okay, so you went out to the range and had fun. You shot all your 250 rounds you had. Now you come home and clean ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Real life situation with a question

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

Real life situation with a question

Okay, so you went out to the range and had fun. You shot all your 250 rounds you had. Now you come home and clean your gun and go to load it... woops, shot all the ammo at the range, except the 1 bullet you find in your range bag. Someone breaks into your house at night and you have one bullet... is it worth pulling the gun? I know most BGs would be fleeing after they see the gun much less after one shot, but is that a chance worth taking? All of this is true, except the person who broke into my house was my cousin, we are a very close family and i had my cell phone off (don't have a house phone) and he needed a place to crash b/c him and his gf got into a fight. Bad move on his part coming thu the window i guess, b/c he almost got himself shot. Kudos to myself for target identification. ( on a side note he literally pissed himself when he saw i had lit him up w/ a flashlight and 9mm which sucked, but i told him to clean it up, and ii guess when you have a gun in your hand and you just woke up and are feeling kinda grouchey people listen to you.)
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

2. Remove Ads

+1 on identification. If I had one bullet, I would find some cover and stay there. If you need it, go for the head shot. BTW, buy some extra SD ammo.

My range rounds are different than my protection ammo. I use ball ammo for practice then at the end alway run two mags of my defensive loads for function check, and to expend any rounds that may have suffered setback during unloading/reloading since the last time. Leave the rest of your defensive ammo home!

Never....I say again...NEVER leave the range with less than one full mag/cylinder. If for some reason you miss with your ONE AND ONLY shot, you are up the creek.

But to answer your question.....Yes I would draw my almost empty gun.
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    yea, hell of dumb move on my part. I dont turn 21 till the 15th, and i nearly went up to wally world to try the ol' oh forgot my id in my other pants trick, but i thought oh well no one is breaking into tonight and if they do i have one shot to hit them in the face with... yea we all saw how that worked that.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I agree with with AZ Husker and target1911 ie. Different range rounds than protection rounds leaving some at home. Plus NEVER leave the range with less than one full mag/cylinder. Even when I clean my guns, one is always loaded and ready. I use to think I was paranoid until I started reading these threads but now I only know that I have a lot to learn. This is a great forum to do so.

Never leave the range w/o a load or two.

Thank God you ID'd your threat! Good experience to learn from... good job.

Lead Moderator
    Get more guns and ammo. I never shoot all my ammo up.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I use different ammo for defense so I always have it on hand.

If I only had one round I would only use it if I REALLY had to. A gun or knife would have to be coming at me before I shot.

I work in corrections and know many of the BGs and what and how they did their thing to get where I am working. I really believed that if you fire a shot you will more then likely get a hail of rounds coming back at you.

Ray

If for some reason I got home and had only one round left, then I either forgot to get fresh defense ammo at the range, or make a stop on the way home. Wally World is open 24 hours, sporting good shops are open until at least 8...

That would be a priority, go out and get more. I am home, dressed and done cleaning. Put on my holster, weapon and Barney Fife round and get the job done.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    In unload my carry rounds prior to going into the range. I load up my mags before I leave the range & load up in the truck. So, I think 21 rounds (also carry extra mag) should do it.

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    I always keep my SD handgun loaded with SD rounds! When I get to the range I unload the mags, put the SD rounds in the console of the truck. After shooting up a bunch of ball ammo, I get back in the truck, reload the mags with the SD ammo and go home to a cleaning session. I also keep a loaded handgun around while I am cleaning the others, once the cleaning is completed I reload all the guns with SD ammo.
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member
    Never let you ammo supply run dry. Just like your gas tank. This maybe a reason also to have a 2 gun family of different cal. so you have something at home for your protection. Nice NOT shooting, could have been very bad.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I never shoot through my carry ammo without having replaced it beforehand...

I reload, so I'd mix up a new batch.

1SGCasey
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links