It's 0200 and you see your work truck getting cleaned out

This is a discussion on It's 0200 and you see your work truck getting cleaned out within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If discharge of a weapon in the area where you live is a crime I would hesitate venturing outside. If not, I may venture out ...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's 0200 and you see your work truck getting cleaned out

If discharge of a weapon in the area where you live is a crime I would hesitate venturing outside. If not, I may venture out after notifying 9-1-1. Choice of weapon would likely be a 12 gauge shotgun

2. Remove Ads

get my gun keep it handy call 911 its the company work van and company policy is let them have what ever they want..

My van was emptied in my backyard this year no one heard or saw anything even me or dog .. so next day i went got the company credit card bought all new tools and went to work ..

There is another consideration. Your truck as a target of opportunity and probably holds no special place in their hearts. Do you want them caught, or do you want them to stop taking any more of your stuff?

Call 911 tell the cops, give them as much info as you can:

IF you want them to stop, go on your porch chamber a round in your gun and yell at them to stop. I bet they are out of there as fast as they can. You have lost less stuff and you never leave your back steps. If you think you won't get in trouble for it, you might even fire a shot into the air to really make them wet themselves.

IF you want them caught, keep pretending no one knows and give the 911 dispatcher a play by play as they finish doing their work until they have completely cleaned you out and leave, or the cops arrive. If you want the cops to hurry you might tell them you think you see them handling weapons while they work. Hey its dark from the house it looked like a gun.

If the cops catch them I don't know what happens to your stuff. Maybe an LEO will tell us how long or how much would be impounded as evidence and how long it would take you to get it back. It might be quicker getting it back if the cops don't catch them. I don't know if the insurance companies will pay out if the cops are holding your things since you will eventually get them back.

Personally I think the best thing to do would be to put a few rounds into any of them you can see from the upper stories of the house. It is what they deserve for their criminal activity, but very few grand juries have any stomach for giving criminals what they deserve.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 3rd, 2008 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Deleted a language workaround
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    The work truck and the tools inside ($30k) is your bread and butter.
    Can the work truck go in the garage? If it's worth that much to you I wouldn't leave it out.

Call the police on my cell phone. Walk out back, with cell phone in hand and gun in other hand. I would keep covered and concealed as much as possible and I would not directly confront the perps. I would stay on my property and yell out from behind cover that the police are on the way.

Then call the insurance company in the morning.

It would probably would be a very good thing to have a complete and detailed photographic inventory of all my tools that are in that truck before hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    I don't know Oregon law, but in VA if you go outside armed and confront the guys stealing from your truck, you have lost your affirmative defense.
    My apologies. Should have clarified. My knowledge of the laws is in regards to Oregon's, yes. I figured it went without saying, but it's probably worth saying anyway whenever a "read" is made on legality.

In Oregon:
    One may defend property using physical force but not deadly force; may defend a person using physical force up to and including deadly force, but only if it is reasonably believed to stop imminent threat to life or serious injury. There is no legal duty to retreat. One may challenge thieves during commission of a theft, but not using deadly force. One may defend to the extent necessary if subsequently attacked by those thieves, including the use of deadly force if reasonable to do so. There is no formal Castle law, nor formal law stating no duty to retreat. However, neither is insanity cast into law requiring a person to ignore it all and withdraw, simply because it will inconvenience the criminals.
    Thanks be to that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

one word - Tear gas

Oops that was two....

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Call the police on my cell phone. Walk out back, with cell phone in hand and gun in other hand.
    As rstickle noted above, in Maryland this lands you in a jail cell.

It's all dependent on the local jurisdiction's laws and customs.

Matt

[edited - added the rest of the quote I was discussing.]
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Creature View Post
    Call the police on my cell phone.
    As rstickle noted above, in Maryland this lands you in a jail cell.
    I think rstickle's comments about going to jail were related to heading outside, which must be taken to be the equivalent of escalating a situation (even though you're actually the good guy). It can't possibly have meant that calling for the cavalry lands one in jail. Can it? Even Maryland's master class isn't that bold.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    I think rstickle's comments about going to jail were related to heading outside, which must be taken to be the equivalent of escalating a situation (even though you're actually the good guy). It can't possibly have meant that calling for the cavalry lands one in jail. Can it? Even Maryland's master class isn't that bold.
    Ooops.

My bad. I didn't quote the entire part I was referring to.

You're right, of course - Maryland isn't quite bad enough to jail you for reporting the poor, misguided people who are robbing you blind. Yet.

OTOH, taking a firearm outside to confront them -> jail in Maryland.

Yet another reason I am glad I moved out of there.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

1943 - 2009
    You might even fire a shot into the air to really make them wet themselves.
    Really bad advice. Warning shots are never justified. Do you know where that bullet is going to come down?

If you want the cops to hurry you might tell them you think you see them handling weapons while they work. Hey its dark from the house it looked like a gun.
    More bad advice. This could be construed as filing a false police report, and cause the responding officers to be more nervous. There's enough stress involved in responding to a burglary in progress call as it is. You don't have to add to it.

Personally I think the best thing to do would be to put a few rounds into any of them you can see from the upper stories of the house.
    So, you're safely behind cover and concealment (your house) and your life is not in imminent danger. How are you justified in using deadly force? This might fly in Texas...

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have a work trailer parked out at the yard fence as we speak . Now this is the " work box " of a pickup with a topper on it and inside the topper is my generater , welder , table saw , air compresser , ect.. Inside the house i have a FAL with a full mag of tracer ammo . When i step out the back door and create a " lazer show " for half a mag ( yes i do have a safe direction that is roughly overhead of the trailer ) it should resolve any theft conflict without anyone being hurt . Where i will be shooting is such that i can watch colorado's finest young lads and not where i point the rifle since i have a broad safety cone , If all works well they will be watching the big orange punkins overhead instead of me till things go quiet also lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

It's not worth getting involved in a shooting when no one's life is in danger.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Call 911, tell them what is going on and give discriptions the best I could. The description I would consentrate the most on would be mine because I would tell them to let to responding officer know I'll be out there and arm. Any 911 operator is going to tell you not to go out there but if my lively hood depended on it, that wouldn't stop me. What happens after that point is one of those things that one can't perdict.

I'm not letting someone empty or take my vehicle and remain unchallenged. In FL I'm legally armed and I will investigate problems on my property...why shouldn't I be able to do that? I would probably exit from a back or side door and remain behind cover while investigating said noise.
    If I ask a perp to refrain from taking my 'stuff'...he has choices...take what's in his hand and run, OK...turn and move towards me, bad choice
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links