It's 0200 and you see your work truck getting cleaned out - Page 4

It's 0200 and you see your work truck getting cleaned out

This is a discussion on It's 0200 and you see your work truck getting cleaned out within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I donít know what kind of laws you have in your state so Iím only going to respond regarding Floridaís laws. In Florida weíre protected ...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: It's 0200 and you see your work truck getting cleaned out

I donít know what kind of laws you have in your state so Iím only going to respond regarding Floridaís laws. In Florida weíre protected under the castle doctrine law, and allowed to protect our property, and that includes anything on the land we own.

My homeowners insurance does not cover work equipment, and while itís not worth my life, I am not going to roll over and allow a BG to take away my means of income.

Looking at your house and buildings, I would first call 911and report what was going on, and inform them what I (the homeowner was warring).

I would then walk out your front door, with G17 in hand and use the shed as cover, to walk right up on top of them

Then while using the cover of the north side of the shed (If they look up at you the flood lights are going to be in there eyes.)

I would then order them to the ground.

What happens next is up to them.

First thing is I thank God I moved to Texas.
    Then I guess it depends on my mood. I might opt for stealth and try to sneak up on them to detain them, but that could be dangerous for me, or I might just see how fast they can run when they hear me cycle the Mossberg.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Call 911 and my insurance company - you or your company does have it insured correct?

If you're not self employed

If you're not self employed you also need to think about what the companies response about force is. It does no good to protect your stuff to get fired by them when the lawsuits fly. Being ripped off is bad but worse things can happen.

I'd think about chaining the heavier tools together in the van. With tools in the van they probably have the means to cut the chain, but time is not their friend. And even if you're short on cash it's probably something doable.

Distinguished Member
    Very tempting to install some lead "widgets" in the radiator/engine area to insure your property is not going anywhere, then head back inside the house to call 911 and wait. All depends on local and state laws.

Insurance thing sounds good, but from personal experience, after 5 break-ins over 1 summer, the insurance company starts talking cancellation!!!!

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

I'll have to check into the recovery period thing. Only because of God's grace do I have the cash to at least get started again without the insurance. (Although some of that may be going to the IRS soon. Grrr.)

I just heard tonight that there's been a rash of thefts from vehicles in our area. A few were in the next neighborhood north of us. I used to just worry about tools getting stolen from the jobsite, but not so much now. Guess I need to get that photo inventory done. . .

I wish you guys the best at getting back on solid ground!
    "Lord, help me to be the person my dog thinks I am."

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    a host of good viewpoints have been presented. I am going to go with the stay inside, call 911, and wait. Risk of exiting the house is high (both from being injured or being arrested for shooting someone). If you have planned well and are smart you will be fine

in situations like this, you must count on your good planning to work:

You should do these things now!:

-Document everything in your truck (receipts, photos, video record entire contents) It will greatly speed insurance processing.
    -Review your insurance policy to see the speed you would be paid back. Consider getting a policy that pays you for the time you miss work (something along the lines of unemployment insurance?) Look into State unemployment insurance too.
    -Save several months of $ expenses in case something like this happens so you don't have to go into debt. (saving $ is always a good idea)
    -Clean out your garage. Might be tough if you have a shop in there, you must weigh the risk of having your truck stolen against it.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

I'm going to let out my 95lb bulldog and proceed to my truck with a 8 round benelli auto. The dog should get there blood moving. If they raise anything at me or my dog(it's his yard to) I,m going to wake up the neighborhood. That's just Mississippi!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Strap on my XD... grab my Mossy... and go hunting...

Although, I live in Kansas... we have a Castle Law.

Lethal Force to protect life, limb and property.

Senior Moderator
    There's a thread running about a guy in a very similar situation, who elected to go out and initiate an armed confrontation with the would be car burglar.

The car burglar's dead - and the guy who went out and killed him is headed to prison.

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...en-any-us.html

Something to think about.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

he chased him a 1/4 mile from his house...stupid.... my feet stay on my property, and if your on my property, you better have permission!!!( castle )
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Senior Moderator
    I doubt the 1/4 mile made that much difference.

He left a place of safety to initiate the confrontation. He wasn't threatened in any way when he armed himself to go confront the would-be burglar.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    If a noise is being made on your property, you've got every right to go investigate. If intruders have come onto your property, you have every right to demand they stop. If you're attacked during making such demands, you have every right to defend yourself against that attack. In some places, you're granted the legal cover to use lethal force to defend property. The distinction needs to be understood between demanding to know what's going on and asking folks to leave your property alone, versus defending an attack on your person. Now, if folks decide to take burglary to the level of aggravated assault, then that's their problem. In none of these cases is the homeowner a criminal aggressor.
    I concur. I call 911 and tell them there is a robbery in progress. Hang up. I go out cautiously, armed, and from a position of cover if possible demand that they stop. If they advance on me I let them know I am armed. If they continue to advance I fear for my life and react accordingly. You do not have to let criminals steal your livelihood.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    First thing is I thank God I moved to Texas.
    Then I guess it depends on my mood. I might opt for stealth and try to sneak up on them to detain them, but that could be dangerous for me, or I might just see how fast they can run when they hear me cycle the Mossberg.
    Amen Brother!

I would definitely have the wife call 911 While I step outside and confront the BG's. If they run they run. If they get aggressive they get shot.
    Last edited by Captain Crunch; February 25th, 2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: Spelling.

No, its not because if you are close enough to be stealing from my truck, you are close enough to enter my house. You would be well off of the main road, way down my driveway, and you would have had to cut the lock and chain off of my gate as well. So if you've gone through all that, and with the amount of armed and violent home invasions around here I would consider you to be a considerable threat and respond with enough force to appear to be more than one person. Being out in the country its gonna be quite some time until the police get here, and thats even if they'll be able to find the driveway in the dark. Its different being out in the country.

Some of us keep more than a handgun in the house for home defense...
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
    --Thomas Jefferson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links