It's 0200 and you see your work truck getting cleaned out

This is a discussion on It's 0200 and you see your work truck getting cleaned out within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; It's 2:00am and for whatever reason you get up and go to the kitchen to get a drink. You look out the window and you ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

It's 2:00am and for whatever reason you get up and go to the kitchen to get a drink.

You look out the window and you see your work truck parked next to your garage with alley access getting cleaned out. Behind the truck is another vehicle with the drivers door open. You move to the back door window and see at least 1 BG, but your view of the other half of the truck is obstructed by the shed.

The motion light on the garage alley is activated, as well as the parking area. The garage back door motion light is off, and the back yard motion light is on dim (goes bright when activated, as well as the parking area).

The work truck and the tools inside ($30k) is your bread and butter. Between the insurance co. and the time to replace everything will take at least a month, during which time you can not work.

There is a 4ft wood privacy fence around your yard, and all your neighbors on both sides are have fenced yards.

You know that 911 is at least 5 minutes out.

What ya gonna do?
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Senior Moderator
    Arm yourself, in case they decide to leave the truck and see what might be available in the house.

Call 911 and give them the play by play.

Personally, I am not going to go out and initiate a confrontation. Being the aggressor in a confrontation where someone gets shot will cost you much more than the tools in question, IMHO.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    Being the aggressor in a confrontation where someone gets shot will cost you much more than the tools in question, IMHO.
    Let's be clear about what going outside means. It does not mean one is an aggressor, a criminal or in any way responsible for the actions of the criminals.

If a noise is being made on your property, you've got every right to go investigate. If intruders have come onto your property, you have every right to demand they stop. If you're attacked during making such demands, you have every right to defend yourself against that attack. In some places, you're granted the legal cover to use lethal force to defend property. The distinction needs to be understood between demanding to know what's going on and asking folks to leave your property alone, versus defending an attack on your person. Now, if folks decide to take burglary to the level of aggravated assault, then that's their problem. In none of these cases is the homeowner a criminal aggressor.

==========

Well, if you're underinsured, then you've got a simple decision to make: is your life worth being out of work for a month.

What's unknown: how long a response will take to a burglary in progress; how many BG's there are, and whether the ones you'll see will have a lookout watching their backs; whether you'll in fact end up stopping a burglary or get stopped yourself.

What you need to decide is: what's it worth to you? Worth your pride, your working a month, your going through the legal shenanigans that will result, your possible death ...

For myself, I'm insured and safely inside. If I were to suspect burglars in another part of the property, I would almost certainly call for assistance instead of going outside alone. I would assume more than one criminal was there, and I'd be concerned about my ability to survive a multi-perp on one encounter when quickly roused from sleep. Take the insurance and force the month out of work, then I would probably still remain indoors and call for assistance. If they came anywhere near the house's doors or windows, however, that would be it. But that's just me.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    As someone whose livelihood currently depends on his work truck and equipment, that would be a very difficult decision.

I honestly would take it as a direct threat on my family. If I can't work, my family doesn't eat. You can have all the insurance in the world, but a month of no work can really hurt life.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I'd call 911...I suspect BGs will be there more than 5 mins...a good description of the vehicle etc.

Rick

VIP Member
    I've had my truck robbed twice this year. The second time they used a brick to gain access to my vehicle which woke me up. I chose to go outside. The bad guys took off in their vehicle. I had plenty of time to get off three or four aimed shots broadside at the driver.....but I didn't because then I'm the bad guy. In the end it still comes down to "fear for your life" not for your tools. IMO that doesn't mean you have to roll over and hide from the bad guys. To spin Jeff Cooper evil is not overcome by hiding inside either. In your case I would have armed myself to the teeth (12 gauge) and gone out to confront them using my knowledge of terrain to gain the most surprise/initiative. If they chose to fight then there would be at least on less bad guy in the world.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Let's be clear about what going outside means. It does not mean one is an aggressor, a criminal or in any way responsible for the actions of the criminals.
    Depends on where one lives. In Oregon, you're probably right. In Florida, probably right as well.

But try it in Maryland....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

call 911. go out the front door, go around my house behind the shed and lase the closest one's chest from cover. tell them to stop and drop. i wouldn't shoot unless they were armed.

p.s. it's a good point that it differs from state to state. some castle doctrines include your yard.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    call 911. go out the front door, go around my house behind the shed and lase the closest one's chest from cover. tell them to stop and drop. i wouldn't shoot unless they were armed.

p.s. it's a good point that it differs from state to state. some castle doctrines include your yard.
    South side of shed is an obstacle course.

CO law allows for protection of property, and use of force to prevent or stop a commission of a crime.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post

If a noise is being made on your property, you've got every right to go investigate. If intruders have come onto your property, you have every right to demand they stop. If you're attacked during making such demands, you have every right to defend yourself against that attack. In some places, you're granted the legal cover to use lethal force to defend property. The distinction needs to be understood between demanding to know what's going on and asking folks to leave your property alone, versus defending an attack on your person. Now, if folks decide to take burglary to the level of aggravated assault, then that's their problem. In none of these cases is the homeowner a criminal aggressor.
    I don't know Oregon law, but in VA if you go outside armed and confront the guys stealing from your truck, you have lost your affirmative defense. I'm not a lawyer, but that is the advice my lawyer gave me on a very similar scenario. The difference is that they were emptying one of my out buildings in my scenario.

On the OP...Due to VA laws I would dial 911 and keep the house quiet to give the police the best opportunity to catch the guys.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    South side of shed is an obstacle course.

CO law allows for protection of property, and use of force to prevent or stop a commission of a crime.
    that's exactly what i'd want (obstacle course). it means they'd be looking for me from a lit position into a dark position. i'd have both cover and concealment. if the state law was as you stated...i probably would shoot to defend my property and prevent the crime. where i live atm, defense of property is not allowed, nor is engaging in your yard (AZ).
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Different jurisdictions will have different responses allowed, with TX being it's own world.

One thing to keep in mind, even if allowed by law, it may not be "approved" by local community standards. Local community standards is what the jury will be judging you on if you are charged with a crime. Yes, they are suppossed to be the "triers of fact" but in reality their emotions, predjudices and feelings play a BIG PART of what they decide for a verdict.

I myself personally would not give up my "tactically superior" position of the home. I would thus be eliminating an armed home defender if I am taken out of the fight. Thus, the rest of the family has to pick up the slack and do their job and mine. Others have mentioned it, but it bears repeating. What if you get hurt or killed?

Yes, life has risk, but no sense making it easy for the BG's. Your tools and truck are most likely a "target of opportunity". Why make your home that same thing? Stay inside, call 911 and be prepared to repel boarders.

Also, let's say you go outside. You've called 911 and they repond. You are now running around outside in the dark with a gun. Want to bet you will have a gun or three pointed at you when the local constabulary show up? I hate having guns pointed at me. Going outside you have a better chance of being shot. I don't know about you, but I don't like the idea of being shot if I can avoid it.

OK, that's my long-winded reply. Take care and stay safe. BTW: if you are out of work and unable to buy groceries, I have some PB&J and an extra loaf of bread.

Biker

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Depends on where one lives. In Oregon, you're probably right. In Florida, probably right as well.

But try it in Maryland....
    YOU go to jail!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    It would be a cold day in Haydes before I let some scuzball rifle though my stuff unchallenged.

Sure, you could get hurt or even killed, but wrongs are not righted by ignoring them.

By staying in the house and calling the police, which may or may not get there in time to do something, you are pretty much guaranteeing that the perps will be successful. In my case, response time will be a minimum of at least 15 minutes. I will take whatever action is deemed necessary to stifle the action.

Once a thief goes unchallenged, your place becomes a target. They will be back, statistics prove this. It's no different than succumbing to the bully in the school yard, if you give in to him, you'll be doing it the rest of the year, fight him just once, and he will be more hesitant to choose you, even if you lose the fight, he will respect the fact that you fought back.

Sure it can be dangerous.I don't like the idea of getting shot either, so I will do my best to avoid that. If that means shooting someone that is stealing my stuff that is stupid enough to point a gun at me...so be it. At least he wont be stealing my stuff anymore.

Not only that, I have to live with myself. Cowering in the house hoping that they will leave me alone....that ain't me and it ain't gonna happen.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Moderator
    Arm yourself (just in case) while you are calling the police, turn on the back porch light and open the back door slightly saying, "Okay sweety, I'll pick up the milk on my way home from work." and watch the little sucker run like a cockroach when the lights come on.

Even yelling, "WHAT THE HE(double hockey sticks)!" as loud as you possibly could, or "THE POLICE ARE ON THE WAY!" would be enough to send the guy clambering for his own car. Then you get a license plate number and physical and vehicular description and laugh when he gets pulled over and your stuff is returned.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links