Katrina

This is a discussion on Katrina within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Will New Orleans BE THERE in the morning? I need to jump off the forum right now ...but, I can see some possible situations that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Katrina

Administrator

Katrina

Will New Orleans BE THERE in the morning?
    I need to jump off the forum right now...but, I can see some possible situations that could unfold there where some real survival & tactical skills could be necessary.
    What say you?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

yes i would say aside from trying to survive the storm and the aftermath then there will be other problems .. i cant quite say what all would need to be done but gun and ammo would be my first grab

VIP Member
    Thirteen foot tall levee....twenty foot (predicted) storm surge....New Orleans built below sea level....
    Doesn't sound very good at all.
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Two words...Big Boat...one that can hold all your guns, ammo can be replaced.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Assistant Administrator
    This monster has grown to fearful proportions ... a consequence regreatably of having gotten out over warm water again for so long.

I am hoping all folks have evacuated that need to and can hang out somewhere relatively safe but - as to the damage potential, I am very pessimistic indeed. 45' surge has been referred to - and a levee max of 25' - tho not sure on that. I dread to think what ******* mess is gonna be left behind this beast.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array LenS's Avatar
    News story interviewing folks in New Orleans. One fellow they interviewed (not LE) had a 18" pump shotgun on his shoulder. Neither he nor the reporter mentioned anything about the shotgun. Yup, I see it as a necessity of life under the circumstances.

I wish all well down there, hope everyone gets out safely.

Administrator

Just got Updated

I don't think I've ever even heard of wind gusts up to 202 MPH.
    This one is going to get mighty ugly. This is probably going to hit as a Category 5 Hurricane.
    My latest update is that the eye DID NOT turn in the direction that would be most advantageous to the folks living there.
    I just flipped the TV on & it's just driving me crazy that 99% of these people have absolutely NO conception of survival preparedness. NONE.
    A massive killer hurricane is headed directly toward them with expected sustained winds of 170 MPH & they flock to the SuperDome carrying a freaking PILLOW & maybe an umbrella and...that is all.
    Meanwhile...the REASON that it is taking all of those people such a long time to get into the SuperDome is because they are ALL getting checked for weapons. No weapons (of any sort) allowed in the SuperDome. I sure would brave this storm out myself and alone rather than pile into a confined area with 30,000 plus ???? scared, panicked people and into a structure where they are not even sure if the roof will be able to withstand sustained winds that high. No Thanks...not for me! Keep your shelter and your doggone phony "protection" - Meanwhile, I don't want anything bad to happen to these people and I honestly wish them the best of luck. I don't think they deserve to have bad things happen to them BECAUSE they are unprepared for ANYTHING. This Feed Me - Clothe Me - Take Care Of Me - Protect Me - Don't Let Me Get Wet - Give Me Water - Rescue Me - mentality is Crap For The Birds though. These people are in my thoughts and I sure hope they make it through this Terrible Hurricane unscathed but, I also hope that it knocks the "Sheeple" right out of their systems for a few generations. Things are getting TRULY PATHETIC in this country.

Forgive My Rant.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

In natural disasters most dangerous people will tend to take advantage of the fact that emergency personnel are occupied trying to save the innocent.

I say, defend yourself!

Administrator

That's True

The Looters & The Night Crawlers will crawl out from under the rocks to feed on and gouge the helpless people.

VIP Member
    We just had Katrina at level 1 down here. I pray for the folks in N.O. but they better be ready to stand their ground in the aftermath. I have not heard any reports of looting in South Florida, the damages were not that bad, but I did notice an increase of traffic in my area in the wee hours of the night by people in cars that did not belong in my neighborhood. Nothing like spotting them right in the eyes with a Nitrolon to make them consider this was not a safe area for them
    And, of course, assorted firearms were available within easy reach in case of necessity.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    This Feed Me - Clothe Me - Take Care Of Me - Protect Me - Don't Let Me Get Wet - Give Me Water - Rescue Me - mentality is Crap For The Birds though....~~ Things are getting TRULY PATHETIC in this country.
    Forgive My Rant.
    Tell me about it. I am near Pensacola, a good 160 miles or so east of the eye, and we had folks calling the local radio station last night to find out where the free MREs, free water, free ice, free FEMA money/food stamps/vouchers/etc.
    I could not agree more with your last statement.
    Good luck.
    Sarhog
    NRA Life Member
    Northwest Florida Defensive Pistol Shooters Member
    Sarhog's gallery

Administrator
    Seems like the folks that were able to leave (of course) did the smart thing. Some people were unable to leave but, there is no excuse for them not being SLIGHTLY prepared for any unexpected event.
    Saw hundreds of people standing in lines to get into the SuperDome with nothing more than a jacket or a doggone umbrella & what really "tore me up" was the people that carried nothing but, a pillow. A doggone pillow.
    They obviously are thinking: "OK...I'll go wherever they tell me to go & then I'll just go to sleep & "if and when" I wake up...everything will be all over & the Government will feed me and give me Pepsi~Cola & Twinkies.
    That manner of thinking is totally incomprehensible to me.
    I just don't understand it.

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Two years ago we got hit by Isabel in VA. My company had us in a sattelite office that was in the same building as Social Services. The lines for free food/money afterwards were crazy, and the worst part was seeing people drive up in $50,000 SUV's and get in the line. Anything to latch on to the government teat!
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Wink Where do I go to get in line?

I am about a two day drive from New Orleans. Where is the line for the free government goodies? I figure if I leave now I will get there in plenty of time. Will they turn me back if I don't have a valid welfare card from some govrnment agency. I will have a trailer with me to haul the loot back out here. What about free gas, I will need some to get back home.

A few snips from a Miami Herald article on Katrina. They confirm the "be prepared" sentiments posted earlier in this thread. I italicized what I thought were the pertinent points.

SSKC
    --------

Buildings collapse as Katrina pummels New Orleans, Gulf Coast

BY MARC CAPUTO, ERIKA BOLSTAD AND DAVID OVALLE

mmerzer@herald.com

NEW ORLEANS - The core of Hurricane Katrina passed just east of New Orleans late this morning, giving the city a partial reprieve but only small consolation. Several buildings collapsed, the Superdome refuge of last resort lost part of its roof and flood waters rose.
    >
    New Orleans Police Superintendent Eddie Compass said three people were arrested for looting by 7:30 a.m. ''I couldn't believe it,'' he said in a radio interview.
    >
    Sonia Smith, a spokeswoman for Escambia County, said the authorities could no longer respond to emergency calls because of high winds. More than 11,000 people were without power.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links