How to properly shoot two muggers :)

This is a discussion on How to properly shoot two muggers :) within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by Bumper If you watch the "Making of Collateral" that ExSoldier mentioned, you will hear his trainer (I forget the guys name but ...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to properly shoot two muggers :)

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    If you watch the "Making of Collateral" that ExSoldier mentioned, you will hear his trainer (I forget the guys name but he is no slouch) said Cruise picked up the training very well. The clips of the training were impressive, especially for a Hollywood type. If you have the CD, be sure and watch the "Making Of" part.
    I watched the commentary (you'll do those sort of things when you're a bored security guard) and they said he fired 5 shots in 1.04 seconds. I'm going to go watch the making as soon as im done with all my internet stuff! This will be a fun shift!
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My Pleasure Willie. . Now if I could memorize the darn thing....
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Right on miggy! We are all doing ooda loops even if we're unaware of them. The one who can spin the loops the fastest, and get inside the opponents loop will prevail.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Bumper, I watched "the making of collateral" at work earlier. That training was amazing, did you see that group he did just from point shooting? Amazing.
    "There are more things on this planet with fangs, claws, poisons, and scales, than there are things that are warm, fuzzy, and full of love. It's just a simple fact." - James Keating

Dontcha just love...

...how the beautiful people have the time and money (I guess the training was an expense of the movie) to be able to do things we peasants can only dream about and then they want to pass laws saying that we can't do it.
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    I still say, if this was real-life, the only thing that saved TC was the time BG#2 spend dancing around trying to draw his pistol. If BG #2 had been on the ball TC would be dead. Can't rely on the BG being unprepared.

I still say put 1 round in BG #1, two in BG #2, then reengage BG #1, then check your work on both. If possible he should have maintained control of BG #1's gunarm and shot one handed.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I was reading something somewhere (always the case), Tom Cruise trained with handgun instructors exstinsively for his role in the movie.

Overall, very nice.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grnzbra
    ...how the beautiful people have the time and money (I guess the training was an expense of the movie) to be able to do things we peasants can only dream about and then they want to pass laws saying that we can't do it.
    grnzbra, this past January I had the chance to attend Tactical Handgun 101 taught by Randy Cain. It was the BEST three days of shooting I ever had for around $400. Randy is quite a character. This introverted hilbilly will teach you to do things with your gun you will not believe. At the begining of the second day he told our group that, by the end of the day we would be doing 50 yard shots at human size targets in low light (which meant almost frigging darkness in the middle of the boondocks). I said to myself "Yeah right. You havent seen me shooting" but, instead of myself I was doing just that by class' end.

Randy's philosophy can be sumarized in the teaching of basics and allowing you to use the tactics that work for you. He is BS intolerant and will not suffer idiots but I will guarantee you that by the time you go back home, you will feel like you did not know squat to begin, you will be amazed at what have you learned, humbled at what you still have to learn and will be making plans to return to his classes.

Check his website Guntactics.com

This is some of his Randy-ism that have stuck with me.

You are legally, morally, ethically and financially responsible for the terminal resting place of every bullet you fire.

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    If you signed up for the advanced SWAT-black-nylon-ninja-swing-from -the- ropes-shooting class you are in the wrong place. I believe in the basics and nothing more. If you can tell me what an advanced gunfight is I'll be happy to teach it. The only advanced gunfights are the ones I was in.
    Last edited by Miggy; September 14th, 2005 at 08:25 AM.
    Randy Cain.

Miggy,

Thanks for the heads up on Randy's school. I've already blown my training budget for the year, so I'll be looking into it for next year.

However, I expect TC had private lessons for however long it took to get to whatever level he felt he needed for the movie (or perhaps for his own personal satisfaction). So the original statement still stands. (Sometimes getting the time is more difficult than getting the money)
    There's a reason The Sopranos is set in New Jersey.
    Basic Pistol

VIP Member
    True and he is better looking than us too!
    What I was trying to convey for anybody reading (and as usual I failed) was that good quality training is available without having to be some Beverly Hills star or or spending mucho money or joining the police or amed forces.
    Randy Cain.

That was awesome once again Justin!!! I have got to learn how to do that!

(Sorry, double post)
    When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

I've not seen that one before....

Guess I should go back through all of the old threads......

I was thinking, "good moves" until he started to walk away, and I couldn't help but laugh.... to the point where my kids came running into the room wondering what their dad was smoking.....

When the messenger arrives and says 'Don't shoot the messenger,' it's a good idea to be prepared to shoot the messenger, just in case.

That's one of my favorite movies. Good acting by both Cruise and Foxx, realistic gun handling, awsome plot.

It's a Friday night rental.

Administrator
    It is a good movie, but its entertainment guys, not training.
    reading some of the old posts makes me wonder if some really think that its realistic, and if they view themselves as good as cruise's character.
    Last edited by SIXTO; December 24th, 2006 at 09:57 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links