Robbery Question - Page 2

Robbery Question

This is a discussion on Robbery Question within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by ppkheat Tip: Never use the convenience store potato chip rack for cover. Toms chips make great cover they are tough and harder ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post

Tip: Never use the convenience store potato chip rack for cover.
    Toms chips make great cover they are tough and harder than most lead bullets, JK, there is no good cover in a c store. exception being the safe in my location, which is my spot and your not getting to it. so your next best bet is toms chips, or the doughnuts, they are also harder than most lead bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    ...(snip)...but please remember your priority here is to protect yourself, not stop the bad guy....(snip)...
    Well put.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    How do I know that the 'customer' isn't a vice squad LEO making an arrest of a clerk that is dealing drugs in addition to chips? Heck, I wouldn't even know if he fired, as the bgclerk might have pulled to try and take him out!

I would think such to be a pretty difficult situation - should I expect him to shout "Police!" just before or just after he shot at the bgclerk? I mean, if I were a cop in such a situation, I could imagine wanting to "check six" immediately after taking out the bgclerk, which would involve sweeping the store across JoeCCW, who would already have his gun unholstered... bad all around.

I would appreciate any input on this variant of the above scenario. I already have decided not to be a LEO-wannabe (no "put your gun down" from me), but I would love to know how to react if I don't hear the 'gimme your money' or other verbiage to help me distinguish true BG from vice-squad-in-disguise.
    Last edited by Paymeister; February 7th, 2008 at 02:01 PM. Reason: typofix

Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    How do I know that the 'customer' isn't a vice squad LEO making an arrest of a clerk that is dealing drugs in addition to chips? Heck, I wouldn't even know if he fired, as the bgclerk might have pulled to try and take him out!

I would think such to be a pretty difficult situation - should I expect him to shout "Police!" just before or just after he shot at the bgclerk? I mean, if I were a cop in such a situation, I could imagine wanting to "check six" immediately after taking out the bgclerk, which would involve sweeping the store across JoeCCW, who would already have his gun unholstered... bad all around.

I would appreciate any input on this variant of the above scenario. I already have decided not to be a LEO-wannabe (no "put your gun down" from me), but I would love to know how to react if I don't hear the 'gimme your money' or other verbiage to help me distinguish true BG from vice-squad-in-disguise.
    From what I know as a LEO here in NJ, a "scheduled" arrest(meaning arrest warrant from previous conduct) will have more than one officer and would usually be conducted outside the store. OMO.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Administrator
    Interesting addition;
    There was a similar scenario in PA about 9 (?) years ago.
    Armed GG confronts armed BG in convenience store robbery and has weapon failure. That was not a happy final outcome.

Then one actual bank vid of bank robbery - armed bank robber - threatens to shoot - off duty street clothes cop in the bank doing his banking - fires one shot & hits BG in the chest - BG fails to drop - officer experiences weapon failure - now forced to wrestle the firearm from the BG who is ready to do him in - officer lucky to be alive today.
    Not exactly a great situation to find yourself in and can really ruin your day.

Hey...if you need to protect you life then do what you need to do. Don't risk your life protect a cash register.
    Especially if it's not your cash register.
    And for sure try to have a immediately accessible BUG on your person if you decide to interject yourself into any deadly encounter.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

kpw
    In PA, it's "death or serious bodily harm to yourself or others". I'm not out to get in a gunfight or even shoot someone over a store's money. It's just money and it's not mine. I'd take cover and put him in my sights. If he doesn't become violent, I'll let him walk and be a good witness for the police. If he becomes violent, I'll do what I have to. My local morning stop got robbed a few weeks ago before I got there. The girl got pistol whipped. At that point, I would have intervened.

For those of you who don't know, some cell phones give an very audible signal when 911 is dialed. Some phones have a "disable" function. Others may not.

My point is, b4 making a 911 call, you should be absolutely sure that your phone won't blow your cover.

<><Peace

moral and ethical answers to this question will differ from person to person. it really is an individual call whether to get involved. we all have our reasons for doing it or not.

legally, it differs from state to state. many of the state laws that i've researched allow for you to use deadly force to prevent loss of life or prevention of a major crime to another. some don't, however.
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    moral and ethical answers to this question will differ from person to person. it really is an individual call whether to get involved. we all have our reasons for doing it or not.

legally, it differs from state to state. many of the state laws that i've researched allow for you to use deadly force to prevent loss of life or prevention of a major crime to another. some don't, however.
    True, im not going to judge anyone who shoots a robber whos got a gun pointed at the clerk. Most states allow you to do so, just make sure your willing to live with the consequences.
    "...trying to get a long gun into play while someone is all over you like a monkey eating a cupcake is not very conducive to good survival techniques." ~Bark'n

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Isn't it great how all the lawyers have gotten us to think about something that otherwise would seem so cut and dry?
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

Hudsonvalley, that's mighty astute talk for a yankee...or a southerner for that matter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links