Wierd happening tonite

This is a discussion on Wierd happening tonite within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Ok, to set the scene it is 21:00, I live in a semi-rural area (seemingly crime-free area ), 55mph, deserted road, I am on the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wierd happening tonite

Wierd happening tonite

Ok, to set the scene it is 21:00, I live in a semi-rural area (seemingly crime-free area), 55mph, deserted road, I am on the phone with my girlfriend. I pull in the 100 yd. long driveway, get out to check the mail, truck still running, lights still on, D.S. door open so cab lite is on, I am aprox 20' from the truck. As I am grabbing the mail out a black H2 w/ tinted windows comes to a screeching halt one lane away from me. I kinda was taken by surprise! I was telling her about it later and I could not really remember what happened in an exact order. I remember realizing I am lit up by the cab light. I instinctively reached for my 1911 but did not draw. I did not recall being on the phone with her at that time and she said I stated "...I guess this is where reach for my gun." then we hung up (maybe I hung up on her) I didn't recall that statement until she told me!
    Kinda reinforces to me the idea of no matter clear headed I feel after an incident I should shut up. Offer to talk later with my attorney present but not now. The truck sat there for about only 4-5 long seconds then drove off. Not sure if it was related to me? was a rolling domestic...no idea. Not sure if I could have done anyhting different as it happened so fast and was over. Maybe move backward into the shadows?
    Wierd anyway.
    R1

This is mine. That is yours.

Lets keep it that way.

2. Remove Ads

Maybe they were going to ask directions and then thought better of it. :-)

-john

Administrator
    I've been startled more than once by people checking their mail while I was going by. I see them out of the corner of my eye, and think of a second that the personi s going to walk out in my path...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SOLOLUCKY View Post
    she said I stated "...I guess this is where reach for my gun." then we hung up

Now thats priceless right there. Its amazing what all happens in such a short time. You don't realize it, but how fast you make your decisions, commit, and take action can dramatically increase when a situation gets intense. The whole time slowing effect.

Also that is a good reminder about having an attorney before you talk, because what you remember in the immediate aftermath may not be what happened.

Glad it turned out ok for you.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Ya know strange post, cause tonight i was trying to drive to a friends house in my H2, got lost and saw a guy checking his mail, figured I would ask him directions, maybe I should not have slammed the brakes on so hard, but anyway My wife is rolling down her tinted window to ask this guy for directions, I cant get a good look at the guy but she starts whistling the theme song to deliverance, I figured I was not gonna even ask this redneck for directions and kept going. After seeing this post I am glad I kept going.

Ok seriously they may have seen your reaction and said "forget this, that guy looks like the guy from deliverance" did you have a banjo?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    Ya know strange post, cause tonight i was trying to drive to a friends house in my H2, got lost and saw a guy checking his mail, figured I would ask him directions, maybe I should not have slammed the brakes on so hard, but anyway My wife is rolling down her tinted window to ask this guy for directions, I cant get a good look at the guy but she starts whistling the theme song to deliverance, I figured I was not gonna even ask this redneck for directions and kept going. After seeing this post I am glad I kept going.

Ok seriously they may have seen your reaction and said "forget this, that guy looks like the guy from deliverance" did you have a banjo?
    A guy from Texas thinks a guy from Ohio looks like a deliverance character? Jeese.

We have 'em too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    A guy from Texas thinks a guy from Ohio looks like a deliverance character? Jeese
    Most people in Arkansas look like that...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Hindsight being 20/20...put the phone down temporarily when you get out of your truck, scan the area, do not silhouette yourself by the truck light.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    Alright! You owe me a new keyboard! I just shot coffee all over mine!
    The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. ~ Albert Einstein

Sig P229 DAK - .40 S&W
    Ruger SP101 - .357 Mag

No banjo, but SouthTexas, ou had me hooked right along!
    Yeah, definitely all food for thought. I will handle things slightly different next time...situational awareness just got a reminder.
    R1

Lets keep it that way.

Didn't pull the trigger, didn't even pull it out, hung up the phone, heightened state of awareness ...good job. Not sure of the comment to the girlfriend, though.
    ...one jagged hole!

Exit42...is the statement you are referring to the statement [...she said I stated "...I guess this is where reach for my gun." then we hung up ] I think that was more my brain thinking out loud cuz I did not remember saying that til she told me I said it. I went onto auto-pilot for a few seconds there and didn't even know it.
    R1

Lets keep it that way.

I sometimes think out loud. Sometimes gets me in trouble especially with the wife. Still think you did OK.
    ...one jagged hole!

I had something similar happen to me the other day. Spooked me a little bit, but it gave me a good situation to review my tactics, techniques, and proceedures.

Could have been any reason that they stopped. I would have stepped back behind the door at least, or closed it to get out of the light. I'm not sure exactly where your located so have no idea of the criminal element or the potential for a crime there.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links