Teen Prankster Shocks Homeowner With Fake Gun

This is a discussion on Teen Prankster Shocks Homeowner With Fake Gun within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; wbztv.com - Teen Prankster Shocks Homeowner With Fake Gun ROSEVILLE, Calif. (CBS) ― It's an age-old childhood prank that has taken a very dangerous turn. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

wbztv.com - Teen Prankster Shocks Homeowner With Fake Gun

ROSEVILLE, Calif. (CBS) ― It's an age-old childhood prank that has taken a very dangerous turn. It's called Doorbell Ditch - where kids ring the doorbell and then usually just run away. Police say some kids have added a potentially deadly twist to the prank: a fake gun.

When Roseville resident Brian Stark opened his door Sunday night, he found a 13-year-old boy pointing a gun in his face.

"We were eating dinner last night and the doorbell rang. I opened up the door and someone started shooting at me," Stark told CBS station KOVR-TV in Sacramento.

"I jumped back a little bit and could tell it wasn't real because I could see the plastic BBs bouncing off the walls."

Stark said he was shocked. But his concern is that the prank could have ended differently.

"I could have been carrying a gun. Not knowing that they were using a toy gun, I could have shot them." Stark explained.

Roseville police said fake guns like the Air Soft gun used in the prank look so real, even they can't tell the difference.

"If it was found on a traffic stop or if it was coming out of their pocket, it would probably result in a shooting." Roseville Police Lt. Michael Doane told KOVR-TV.

"No officer wants to live through a shooting let alone have the facts come out that the gun that was pointed at them was a play gun and the juvenile was just fooling around," said Lt. Doane.

Because the guns can be bought at any sporting goods store for under $50, police say the risk is huge and inevitable.

"It's just a matter of time before one of these incidences turn deadly," warned Doane.

The 13-year-old in this case is being charged with battery.
    Wow, this is a real bad scenario. Could result in somebody ending up in a body bag.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    wbztv.com - Teen Prankster Shocks Homeowner With Fake Gun

Wow, this is a real bad scenario. Could result in somebody ending up in a body bag.
    I'm glad this didn't happen to me, it would have ended badly for the 13 year old.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

Senior Moderator
    It's sad that young teenagers don't realize that they can be killed.

I would probably have shot him, or went H2H depending on how close he was.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I am never going to second guess any one who points a gun in my face, if it looks real then I am going to react as if it is. Parents need to controll their children more. It is a shame when a child dies because the parents are poor parents.

If this keeps up, the politicos will enact background check laws on these - just for good measure and the fact that they don't have anything else better to do.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by matiki View Post
    I'm glad this didn't happen to me, it would have ended badly for the 13 year old.
    +1.

I'd feel horrible, especially for his parents.
    If I open my door and someone draws a gun, odds are I'm going to get off the X and start throwing lead immediately. His only hope is that I'll realize it's an airsoft gun before I break sear.

As I recall, there have been a few cases in the past where an officer has shot a child that was threatening him with an airsoft weapon, and the jury found him innocent. At least if it happens to us, the set precedent is on our side...

I hope that kid learned a good lesson here. Moreover, I hope parents giving their children airsoft or BB guns will give them a good talk about these matters, and how quickly "goofing around" can get you killed.

Peace,
    Pete Zaria.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.
    - Margaret Mead

"Booger Hook Off the Bang Switch" - unknown

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    There's a reason it's against the law to paint the orange tip on airsoft guns.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    As demonstrated...this law obviously doesn't take into account criminals or stupid actions by a kid.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Senior Moderator
    Insanity. Hopefully, this won't catch on - if it does, it is simply a matter of time before someone with a toy gun threatens someone with a real gun....

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    IIRC something like this happened to a member here and the kid got drawn-down upon. Main differences were that it happened in broad daylight at an intersection.

I'd feel awful about shooting a kid like that but really.. This is why you look through a peephole first. I see a kid holding a gun on the other side and its not going to end well. One roommate with be on the phone with the local police while the other two press-check. I can imagine that here in northern AZ someone pulling a stunt like this would have a very short shelf-life. This reminds me of the video of those punks in LA riding around and performing drive-bys with a paintball gun.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Didn't sound like this guy was a gun owner or just had really poor SA. Hasn't he heard of a peephole? Look through, identify, and don't answer if you don't know or were not expecting the stranger at the door. I think he could have avoided this by not just opening the door haphazardly.

But if he felt he had to talk to the stranger, he could have used the safety chain, slightly opened the door and if the kid stuck the gun through the open door, he could have quickly pulled his head back an shoved his weight against the door as hard as possible thereby incapacitating or possibly amputating the kids hand and handgun. May have seriously hurt the kid but at least he'd be alive. Of course, if this had been a real perp, he could have waited for the slight door opening to rush / kick the door in. Just can't be too careful.

I have three kids and one more on the way in July. My two boys have Airsoft guns (MP5, with detachable flash suppressors, silencers, scopes, clips, etc.). They are a blast to shoot and they do have orange tips but other than that they look real as hell.

I could see where this could have turned real ugly. Would have seriously sucked to light up a kid.
    The old sheriff was attending an awards dinner when a lady commented on his wearing his sidearm. 'Sheriff, I see you have your pistol. Are you expecting trouble?' 'No Ma'am. If I were expecting trouble, I would have brought my rifle.'

Quote Originally Posted by C9H13NO3 View Post
    Yes, but look at it another way... what's to stop a REAL BG from painting the tip of his REAL gun orange?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    That just might get you dead at my door! I carry all the time at home. Good Lord, how stupid can kids be?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Im guessing the guy never expected to be starring down a barrel with a 13 year old on the other end.

The terminally stupid are out there and they are all ages. This is just another fine example of stupid getting lucky, and on both accounts.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links