An interesting thing happened Sunday morning... - Page 2

An interesting thing happened Sunday morning...

This is a discussion on An interesting thing happened Sunday morning... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Donít you all have a carry schedule to go by? I also have an hourly schedule and a ďdepends on what Iím doingĒ override. Since ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Donít you all have a carry schedule to go by? I also have an hourly schedule and a ďdepends on what Iím doingĒ override. Since I can't make up my mind what to carry, I have to make up carry schedules.
    Sounds like you were doing something out of habit. Maybe it's time to consider changing weapons less frequently?

IMHO, when the SHTF you don't want your body to forget what is in your hand.

MIke

Senior Moderator
    Mike,
    Good advice! However, I was just kidding about the schedules I don't really do that. But, unfortunately I do change guns frequently.

Actually I didn't forget what was in my hand, I knew I had a heavy, long pull trigger and if I had to shoot it could be a 30 foot range and I wanted a SA trigger pull. It was just kind of odd that I did that; it's out of character. I'm one of those that believe a DA/SA is a great trigger and there I was avoiding it.

Tangle,

I figured you were kidding about the schedule. But it does seem that you were doing something out of habit.....

I'm one of those that believe a DA/SA is a great trigger and there I was avoiding it.
    any thoughts?

Mike

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LPguy
    Tangle,

I figured you were kidding about the schedule. But it does seem that you were doing something out of habit.....

any thoughts?

Mike
    Well, maybe more out of opportunity than habit. The really optimistic thought would be that I quickly adapted to the versatile options of the USP and opted to take advantage of them for the given situation; but I guess you'd see right through that, right?

I will say, the USP encourages thinking outside the box so to speak. Like the hammer can be cocked with the safety on and the slide can be racked with the safety on.

Something I like about a Sig 226 is all the serations on the slide. With a little work, I've discovered I can do a one-hand press check with the Sig 226. However, the slide movement often cocks the hammer and you wind up holding a gun in an unusal, but not necessarily unsafe grip, but the hammer is cocked and the gun is in a SA trigger mode.

With an H&K USP, I can engage the safety before I change my grip to the one-hand press check. The hammer will still likely cock when I pull the slide rearward, but the safety blocks it's release.

Not only can I do a one-hand press check readily with the USP, I can actually "charge" the chamber with one-hand using the same method and grip - and all done with the safety on as an added measure of precaution.

I kinda drifted a little there didn't I, well, drifting is a gift I guess and besides you asked for "any thoughts" and this is certainly any thoughts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links