An interesting thing happened Sunday morning...

This is a discussion on An interesting thing happened Sunday morning... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This may not be the right place for this, but it is kinda a scenario. Let me give you some background here first. I-75 is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An interesting thing happened Sunday morning...

Senior Moderator

An interesting thing happened Sunday morning...

This may not be the right place for this, but it is kinda a scenario. Let me give you some background here first. I-75 is literally in my back yard, about 400 feet through a wooded lot to my house. So, when things happen at the back of my house, I'm always aware that there are all kinds of people driving 400 feet from my house; most of 'em I don't want in my house - especially if they haven't been invited.

I was sitting in my “office” at the far end of the house when my dog, Tangle, started that serious, “somebody’s at the door” bark. (Tangle is the best dog in the world; I think that because she’s my dog, but it’s ok for you to feel the same way about your dog.)

My wife was gone for the morning and knowing that nobody should be at the door, I responded in my normal way – "hope for the best, be prepared for the worst". I draw my gun of the day, which was an H&K USP, to a low ready. I listen while the dog continues to bark and "point" at the door.

Then the strange thing happens: as I begin my advance to the back door, I realize that I am cocking the hammer and engaging the safety – the ole cocked and locked mode. I proceeded carefully (tactically) through the house with my finger consciously along the frame and my thumb riding the thumb safety. Tangle was still pointing and barking at the back door, which I knew was unlocked.

What’s interesting about this is that I went to a cocked and locked mode – I’ve never done that before except of course with a 1911. I wonder if it was a subconscious thing because maybe I felt more confident with USP in SA? I would not have done this with a Sig DA/SA, and not because it doesn’t have a safety, but rather I feel completely confident with the Sig DA.

So if I’m so confident with a Sig, why am I carrying and H&K USP? That’s simple, it’s USP day, you know H&K USP on Sunday and Wednesday, Sig 226R on Monday and Thursday, Sig 229R DAK on Tuesday and Friday, and Sig 226 ST on Saturday. Don’t you all have a carry schedule to go by? I also have an hourly schedule and a “depends on what I’m doing” override. Since I can't make up my mind what to carry, I have to make up carry schedules.

Anyway, I was rather surprised at myself for going to the cocked and locked mode. You don’t suppose I really want to carry a 1911?

Oh yeah, never did figure out what the problem was. I figure they ran when they realized I set my USP to cocked and locked.

2. Remove Ads

DC Founder
    Right now, I carry one of two guns all of the time, both full-size 1911s. I have no "schedule", I switch based on the situation. If there is a chance it is going to rain, or I am doing something in a harsh environment, or I know am going to have to leave my gun in my car, I carry the Kimber. Otherwise, I carry my Nighthawk....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

i just switch at will but right now its 99% of the time its a 1911 fullsize either lightweight or fullsize stainless.

Also when i carry my Usp i carry cocked and locked just like a 1911

Senior Moderator
    I was just kidding about the schedules - a feeble attempt at gun humor, if you will, but I do switch a lot. I really don't think switching between different systems is the best idea, but what can I say, I like a lot of different guns, I'm just thankful I'm not like that with cars!

I see nothing wrong with switching a lot i used to till i found what carried the best for me

Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    You don’t suppose I really want to carry a 1911?
    No, deep down inside you really Glock and forget about those silly external safties.
    Seek safety at the heart of danger.

Live Easy, Die Hard

yeah you really want to carry a 1911

DC Founder
    Quote Originally Posted by Tangle
    I was just kidding about the schedules - a feeble attempt at gun humor, if you will, but I do switch a lot. I really don't think switching between different systems is the best idea, but what can I say, I like a lot of different guns, I'm just thankful I'm not like that with cars!
    I wasn't razzing you about the schedules, I don't do it, but there are people that do carry "according to schedule" because their needs change on a fairly firm "schedule". A full size 1911 fits my needs in almost every legal carry scenario. If I were to carry to work, contrary to the rules, I would probably have a problem and need to go to a different gun....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

My USP has been my constant companion now for over 4 years. Carry it ready to roll hammer down, after all it is a SA DA. The other day I had just came home and something got my attention in the back field, the boy (18) was walking up asking some questions and when I grabbed the HK from the holster and pulled the hammer back the boy went silent and dropped in behind me. It was nothing, just having some cyote problems
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bumper
    I wasn't razzing you about the schedules, I don't do it, but there are people that do carry "according to schedule" because their needs change on a fairly firm "schedule". A full size 1911 fits my needs in almost every legal carry scenario. If I were to carry to work, contrary to the rules, I would probably have a problem and need to go to a different gun....
    Bumper,
    I didn't consider it razzing but I'd consider it an honor to be razzed by Bumper. I'm sure if I post enough, I'll wind up providing lot's of razzing opportunities.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheldon J
    My USP has been my constant companion now for over 4 years. Carry it ready to roll hammer down, after all it is a SA DA. The other day I had just came home and something got my attention in the back field, the boy (18) was walking up asking some questions and when I grabbed the HK from the holster and pulled the hammer back the boy went silent and dropped in behind me. It was nothing, just having some cyote problems
    Sheldon,
    I writing you down in my book as a wise man. Not just because you don't switch guns, but because you obviously are an aware person as well. Well done.

As for the rest who can't decide whick gun to carry, well........wait - I'm one of those! I have nothing further to say.

Assistant Administrator
    Tangle - you are obviously imbued with the spirit of JMB! he was commanding you to cock and lock

As for carry choice etc - and accepting your funning - I reckon not to change carry piece much at all. My prime concern with the regular carry is as near total familiarity as I can plus shooting proficiency... so now since change to SIG - it has been SIG every day.

I have a slight dilemma for Tuesday. I will if weather still permits, bike up to Pitt for my last INS stage, about 115 miles each way and save a lotta gas compared with truck. It will be all but impossible to do a clandestine removal of SIG and rig beside the bike before I go into the (Fed) building and so this will be one day for change.

My R9 (usually only sometimes BUG) will be leather jacket pocket carry and that jacket will be stowed in pannier in a secure location, prior to entering building. Also jetisoned will be folder, Leatherman and other odd pointy things! So - situation dictates carry choice.

That over with - back to SIG
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    P95,
    I hear ya! In a perfect world, etc....but it's not perfect and there are times that it is advantageous to switch to a different gun. I do that too and don't worry about it. I wish that was the only reason why I change guns. Unfortunately I change guns because I can't make up my mind what I want to carry. There are just too many excellent guns out there. To be truthful, one main reason I don't rotate Glocks through my fickleness is their unique grip angle.

I once observed a IDPA national champion trying to transistion to a Glock from a CZ. He shot high with the Glock. Not to start a war here that's not the point at all, but he promotes point shooting. Again I don't want this to drift into war about how to shoot, but this is a fact and worthy of consideration. He shot high because he didn't use the sights and his reference was off by the angle of the Glock grip.

OTOH, I came back from a week of intense training in Gunsite's Advanced Pistol course using a 1911 (flat backstrap) I started building 3 weeks before the course. We used the flash sight picture-press all week and I had a week way above my ability and the gun was flawless and accurate.

When I got back, I wanted to see how I would do with a Glock. I strapped a G17 on and went to the range. I set the target at 3 yards, loaded up, holstered, started the timer, when it beeped I drew, used a flash sight picture, and fired the Glock in near record time for me. Some would claim my speed could be measured on a calender, but it was fast for me. The significant thing is that the first shot, cold from the holster was touching the X of the B-27. I repeated the feat a number of times until I was satisfied the first shot wasn't a fluke.

Two things were deeply impressed on me from these two experiences. One the gun geometry significantly accuracy of a national IDPA champion that point shoots like he breathes, hence one more reason to be careful about changing guns, esp. if you point shoot.

Second, the flash sight picture effectively factors out differences in gun geometry. I would have never believed it if I hadn't tested it myself. In fact, after I saw I could draw and hit faster with the Glock than the 1911 I had trained with for the past week, I started carrying the Glock.

But, as of late, all my guns have the same grip angle but the Glock and for some reason, even though I have convinced myself the flash sight picture adjusts to the grip, I just don't have the confidence in it.

Well, I did it again - said too much and got off subject. Oh well there's nothing left to do now but post so......

Lead Moderator
    I carry 2 guns either the HK or the Taurus. Similar grip and controls. easier to not have to figure out during stress. Best to learn 1 sytem if possible and stick with it. A friend switches gunall the time. Hopefully it won't hamper him too much if he ever needs to protect himself.

Carry for me is dependant on how I dress.
    If I'm wearing my khackis, I either carry a Walther P99 or P99C in my PagerPal. Same Manual of Arms. (Still sometimes find myself reaching off-side for the thumb safety.)
    If in jeans and untucked or w/jacket (rare in south TX), I've got one of my 1911s in my Beltster.

Someday I will go back to exclusive 1911 carry, but there is something nice about my polymer babies...
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links