One Great Cop

This is a discussion on One Great Cop within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This incident caused me to get my permit. I was living in Columbus then, and some friends and I went to see a favorite act, ...

Thread: One Great Cop

One Great Cop

This incident caused me to get my permit.

I was living in Columbus then, and some friends and I went to see a favorite act, Damageplan, lead by a guitar wizard by the name of Darrell Abbot (aka 'Dimebag'). I was with three of my closest pals, and we were expecting a night of beer and loud metal, and it was a fine night for it at Alrosa Villa. We arrived late, and it was a good thing. Before we could get in the door, our guitar hero and several others had lost their lives.

Many more might have died if it weren't for a fast-acting cop who sensed when the gunman's attention was focused elsewhere. What follows is an except from Wikipedia taken directly from the Columbus Dispatch.

"According to police, Gale fired a total of fifteen shots, taking the time to reload once, remaining silent throughout the shooting. When security staff tried to stop him, Gale fired at them, wounding Paluska, and killing Halk, who had attempted to stop the gunman with a beer bottle as a weapon. Damageplan head of security Jeffery Thompson fought with Gale for a short time, stopping him from killing Vinnie Paul Abbott and John Graham, as well as knocking off Gale's glasses (preventing him from seeing Officer Niggemeyer just minutes later), before being fatally wounded by Gale. Audience member Nathan Bray, who jumped onstage to try to give CPR to Dimebag and Thompson, stood up and took a single step towards Gale before being shot a single time in the chest. Brooks was scuffling with Gale onstage but was overpowered and taken hostage in a headlock position. Brooks was shot several times (once in the right hand, his right leg, and his right side) while attempting to get the gun away from Gale. Five officers came in the front entrance led by officer Rick Crum, and moved toward the stage. Officer James D. Niggemeyer came in through the back door, behind the stage. Gale only saw the officers in front of the stage; he never saw officer Niggemeyer. When the hostage moved his head, Officer Niggemeyer shot Gale in the face with a police-issued 12-gauge shotgun. Gale was found to have 35 rounds of ammunition remaining."

Last night, while reading last month's American Rifleman, I noticed that James Niggemeyer was awarded the NRA Law Enforcement Officer of the Year in 2005. Why A.R. waited two years to mention this is stupid, but it doesn't matter.

Thank you to Officer Niggemeyer, and it is with heartfelt gratitude that I wonder how he is today and if he knows that he made a huge difference in my decision to educate myself and become the sheepdog. I don't know how many people owe him the same debt, but my thanks on this forum seems hardly enough. I placed a call to the Columbus PD, and they gave me information about where to send a note to Officer Niggemeyer. After I post this, I'm going to sit down and write this account by hand and send it off to him. It is my hope that he senses how deeply I feel these words; I can never convey the true emotion behind them.

If you have someone to thank, a cop, a soldier, a teacher...do it today. Tomorrow may be your last, and that person will never know how they influenced you unless you tell them. Do it now.
    Last edited by Scot Van; February 18th, 2008 at 03:00 PM. Reason: I probably shouldn't have phrased the first sentence the way I did. Sorry. That and I orginally misspelled 'Damageplan'.
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

2. Remove Ads

quite a story and some good advice.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Thanks for posting this. It is a lesson hard learned.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Excellent post.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    That sucks. He was a great guitarist. I used to see Vinny at the Dallas Stars games in the VIP lounge (beer drinking place) all the time. He was a season ticket holder, knows many of the players (former & current).

Was this a "gun free" zone in Ohio?

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Was this a "gun free" zone in Ohio?
    Ohio's CCW went into effect only 8mo. before this tragedy, and yes, it was a CPZ (Criminal protection zone) because they had a liquor license.
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

we need to give our LEO's a pat on the back every once in a while. they are the first line of protection for all of us. they take the risks for little pay, and seldom complain. my hats off to them.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsr View Post
    they are the first line of protection for all of us.
    Negative, I am my first line of defense, they are second. They all deserve a pat on the back though.
    Why do you own a fire extinguisher when you have the fire department to protect you?

Important reminders, thanks for sharing.
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

rip dime

you will not be forgotten...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Heck, I didnt see this thread until now.

My brother was supposed to be there that night, but decided not to go. Hes played there a few times as well over the years. I have been familair with Alrosa since high school, about 25 years or so.

Just a few months prior, my wife and I went through our own incident, and survived. When this went down at the Alrosa, we both took notice bigtime. Anyway, I always make an effort to express my gratitude for EMS, Fire and Police, whenever I can.

Links