Possible hero or scapegoat? - Page 3

Possible hero or scapegoat?

This is a discussion on Possible hero or scapegoat? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by gwhall57 You might not be charged with murder, but you most definitely will be charged with carrying in a gun-free zone. A ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    You might not be charged with murder, but you most definitely will be charged with carrying in a gun-free zone.
    A slightly different take on VA.

As I understand it, we have Unarmed Victim Zones and then we have Unarmed Victim Zones -- i.e.,

some like K-12 schools are Unarmed Victim Zones by law and there you can be criminally charged under the law;

others (e.g., some shopping malls) are Unarmed Victim Zones by the private property owners decree and there you can be charged with trespass;

still others (such as VT are Unarmed Victim Zones by contract which only applies to parties of that contract -- e.g., students & employees) there it is a matter of civil contract law, not criminal law.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
    A slightly different take on VA.

As I understand it, we have Unarmed Victim Zones and then we have Unarmed Victim Zones -- i.e.,

some like K-12 schools are Unarmed Victim Zones by law and there you can be criminally charged under the law;

others (e.g., some shopping malls) are Unarmed Victim Zones by the private property owners decree and there you can be charged with trespass;

still others (such as VT are Unarmed Victim Zones by contract which only applies to parties of that contract -- e.g., students & employees) there it is a matter of civil contract law, not criminal law.
    I am not a lawyer, and I do not play one on television .
    My original statement was not meant to be Virginia-specific, or any type of legal expertise. I only meant that, as I have seen the aftermaths of SD shootings in media reports and other posts on this site, a shooter, even for a "good" shoot, will probably , depending on the fickle media and vote-hunting politicians, be charged with any and everything that he/she can be charged with, as well as experience lawsuits by the BG's family. That's the probable bad news. The good news is - the shooter will also be alive.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gwhall57 View Post
    I am not a lawyer, and I do not play one on television.
    I hope no one assumed that I was an attorney or that I was giving legal advice.

I am neither a lawyer, nor I do not play one on television or on the Internet.

My rule of thumb is realistic: always prepare and/or expect the worst case scenario if using a firearm results in death when proctecting your life.

You come out of the circumstances alive, prepare for the consequences in this crazy, mixed-up world!!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

You Will Be Screwed by the Judicial System. You broke a law. That's the first thing they are going to see. Thats all they always see. Even though you saved lives you will wish you had not as you sit next to tyrone in a cold, dirty cell.

Become an NRA member. Help us, along with the ILA, to change these laws.

Out of 300 or so stories about a shooting where a cwp holder saved the day, will you here the Pro-Gun side of the story maybe 12 times.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    I think it depends on where you live. Some states are more forgiving than others in matters like this.
    No. There is no place in this country that allows you to carry a gun to school. Unless you are DT.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USA Pugilist View Post
    No. There is no place in this country that allows you to carry a gun to school. Unless you are DT.
    You can carry at colleges in Utah.

Utah Allows Guns on College Campuses

Beat me to it.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

VIP Member

Virginia sort of allows guns on college campuses.

Public colleges, such as VT, are Unarmed Victim Zones by contract which only applies to the parties of that contract -- e.g., students & employees. I as a non-student/employee can carry on campus. Some colleges allow students & employees to carry.

Private colleges, like any private property, can set their own policy for everyone entering their property. Many, but not all, are Unarmed Victim Zones for everyone.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Oregon also allows CHL at public schools and college campuses, though it's of the Victim Disarmament Zone (* By Contract) variant described above (VA).
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

"He that dares and wins...is lauded. He that dares and loses...is crucified." Law is malleable to public perception and the will of the State. From first-hand knowledge, if you thwart an attacker with unapproved means, most places are more than willing to keep it quiet. They don't want the publicity that reveals how inadequate established systems are. Equally, that may be very situational. Like any other intercessory act, one should consider the cost/benefit of simply walking away vs acting on another's behalf.

I stand corrected. But the person that said Virginia does is mistaken.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob72 View Post
    "He that dares and wins...is lauded. He that dares and loses...is crucified." Law is malleable to public perception and the will of the State. From first-hand knowledge, if you thwart an attacker with unapproved means, most places are more than willing to keep it quiet. They don't want the publicity that reveals how inadequate established systems are. Equally, that may be very situational. Like any other intercessory act, one should consider the cost/benefit of simply walking away vs acting on another's behalf.
    Anytime its situational when dealing with imprisonment is reason enough to bow down to better judgement.
    Do you masterly conceal beacuse your life is more important then a law or do you take your chances and leave your weapon at home?
    I believe this might be a new thread.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I stand corrected. But the person that said Virginia does is mistaken.
    Depends on how you look at it I guess.

18.2-308.1: School property. Exemptions to this statute include a person who has a valid concealed handgun permit and possesses a concealed handgun while in a motor vehicle in a parking lot, traffic circle, or other means of vehicular ingress or egress to the school.
    Virginia State Police
    LIS > Code of Virginia > 18.2-308.1

VIP Member
    Depends on how you look at it I guess.
    We may be talking apples and oranges.

I was responding with regard to Virginia Colleges.

OTOH, you are correct in your citation, assuming that you are referring to any public, private or religious elementary, middle or high school, including buildings and grounds; (ii) that portion of any property open to the public and then exclusively used for school-sponsored functions or extracurricular activities while such functions or activities are taking place; or (iii) any school bus owned or operated by any such school.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links