Would you fire a warning shot? - Page 3

Would you fire a warning shot?

This is a discussion on Would you fire a warning shot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I went to a CCW class that was run by the Sheriff office. It was more for public relation than anything else. The thinking is, ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    I went to a CCW class that was run by the Sheriff office. It was more for public relation than anything else. The thinking is, if we used our own weapons and screwed up and haven’t attended HIS class then we are left out to dry! But if we did use our weapon and everything comes out right and have attended HIS class then he can use it for PR. “My deputies have attended MY CCW class and have qualified with their private own weapons. See how good I look.” LOL (In Florida Leos and corrections officers can carry without a CCW permit and MANY don’t have a permit other then their badge.)

Anyway the LT that was given the class told us of an off duty Leo who was someplace (can’t remember where) and a really BIG fight broke out. Two other officers came up on the scene and the first guy who was off duty for some dumb reason pulled his weapon and shot it into the air. I guess he did it to make the people stop fighting, much like in the old cowboy movies. But it didn’t really work out that way. The other two officers shot him dead right then on the spot!

Also I do not believe in a warning shot. It can and WILL land you in jail!
    1. Pulling a weapon out
    2. Firing a weapon
    3. If it is in a dwelling then you are charge with the bullet going through the air in a dwelling.
    All for what? Do not do a warning shot! The BG could run away and call the POPO and tell them that you pulled your weapon for no reason and fired at him. The POPO (cops) stop you and sure enough they find your handgun that smells as if has been fired.

Can you say Felonies? Your new roommate named Big Mac will be glad to show you why the other inmates call him BIG Mac!

Do not do a warning shot because you are only asking for big trouble! If you must fire a round then hit center mass!

If I ever have to present my weapon in a threatning situation, the BG will have two choices: jail or the morgue. I would never fire a warning shot.

Never, ever, fire warning shots!
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Warning shots are specifically prohibited (for good reason) by my agency, and I wouldn't fire one in almost any circumstance that I can think of even if they were allowed.
    +1. Except I can't think of any circumstance that I would fire a warning shot. If the presentation of my weapon doesn't stop their behavior that caused me to draw, I'm not giving any warning besides a verbal one. After that, it's COM.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

What goes up must come down. No.
    Nill illigitimi carborundum
    -----------------------------
    Captain von Trapp: If the Nazis take over Austria, I have no doubt, Herr Zeller, that you will be the entire trumpet section.
    Herr Zeller: You flatter me, Captain.
    Captain von Trapp: Oh, how clumsy of me - I meant to accuse you.

Quote Originally Posted by GHFLRLTD View Post
    They are not allowed here...
    The only warning I'll give...is to stay out of Orlando at night...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    The only warning I would give is a verbal warning to STOP. If he continues on, it is time for one shot, center mass.

Maybe a warning shot aimed COM to stop the threat lol.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

The only way I am firing a warning shot is if the first one misses. That would be the warning shot.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I would never fire a warning shot. If there is time for that there is time to walk away.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I would never ever under any circumstance fire a warning shot. If the guy needs to be warned while advancing towards a drawn gun, a warning isn't going to do any good. In most circumstances there won't be time. Like someone else said - its for the Navy only. My shots will go in the body not down the street.

Austin

NO I would not

Never - for all the excellent reasons given up 'till now...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Senior Moderator
    Say it once, say it a million times..

No warning shots.

1. As stated, you are responsible for every round that leaves your muzzle.

2. You may not have control over exactly what your bullet may hit.

3. Moving your muzzle off of your target gives him the opportunity to move and do something unexpected (such as disarming you) and because you're no longer covering him because you are wasting time pointing your gun away from your target.

Let me say that this is a smart man's best hope. Get him to point the gun somewhere else where you can move in and either attack or disarm.

Don't risk it. Keep the guy covered. Stop him if necessary.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    If the situation is such that you feel it necessary to draw you weapon, that is all the warning the BG gets. He/she/they backs off or they get shot.

The only warning shot is the first one fired. If it doesn't kill/stop the BG, keep shooting till they stop.

A warning shot puts you in legal jeapordy - where is that bullet going to land. It also puts you in jeapordy with the BG. You have just let him know you are not completely prepared to shooting him.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links