Would you fire a warning shot?

This is a discussion on Would you fire a warning shot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In the original situation described you could keep the BG covered and attempt to retreat and gain separation while saying "You're right, I don't want ...

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Would you fire a warning shot?

In the original situation described you could keep the BG covered and attempt to retreat and gain separation while saying "You're right, I don't want to shoot you. So I'm going to leave and you are going to let me". You might get out of the situation without having to fire. However if the threat persists..........

2. Remove Ads

The only intelligent answer on this group is "Maybe yes and maybe no. It would depend upon the circumstances."

I have covered this topic before that these sites are actually reviewed by law enforcement when relevant to a particular case, but no one seems to be concerned.

QUESTION AT TRIAL: Didn't you recently state in a message posted to a web site that you would never under any circumstances whatsoever fire a warning shot at a perceived assailant, and that when you drew your gun you always would to shoot to kill?

ANSWER: (All kinds of eloquent excuses and explanations, but unable to deny what was actually said).

How can they match you with a particular user id without a warrant?
    --never fight with an idiot, for he'll bring you down to his level and beat you by experience.--

"Stupid is forever. You can't change stupidity." - Temple's Basketball Coach John Chaney to the home crowd

I am in afghanistan and I get in trouble here for taking warning shots, I am not going to place a round anywhere that I do not know where it might land. What is it Rule 4 You are responsible for where your round goes after it leaves the barrel
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

VIP Member
    cwblanco - warning shots are highly discouraged if not outright banned by all law enforcement agencies that I am aware of. I think that this would be suitable explanation should it ever be brought up as a negative that you didn't recklessly discharge a firearm for a reason other than to defend yourself or another from imminent threat of death or grave bodily harm. Nevermind that all "professional opinions" and the collective knowledge of trainers and experts in the field strongly advise against warning shots...

I would be much more concerned about the reverse happening - you having to defend yourself for firing a warning shot (where did it go? why did you fire if you weren't in immediate danger? did you fire negligently/accidentally? what are the regulations on warning shots for your local PD? and so on...)
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If by "warning shots" you mean two rounds in the Center of Mass. Then yes.

Other than that, no.

Earlier posted by CWBLANCO
    The only intelligent answer on this group is "Maybe yes and maybe no. It would depend upon the circumstances."

QUESTION AT TRIAL: Didn't you recently state in a message posted to a web site that you would never under any circumstances whatsoever fire a warning shot at a perceived assailant, and that when you drew your gun you always would to shoot to kill?

ANSWER: (All kinds of eloquent excuses and explanations, but unable to deny what was actually said).
    Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    cwblanco - warning shots are highly discouraged if not outright banned by all law enforcement agencies that I am aware of. I would be much more concerned about the reverse happening - you having to defend yourself for firing a warning shot (where did it go? why did you fire if you weren't in immediate danger? did you fire negligently/accidentally? what are the regulations on warning shots for your local PD? and so on...)
    If you will re-read my message quoted above, I did not give a definitive answer [even though I "may or may not agree" with you]. My point was to point out that statements of this nature can be used against a person in a subsequent related civil or criminal proceeding to show intent or predisposition. As expected you gave a logical response and justification for killing the bad guy. However, as to civilians -- in most states, the discharge of a weapon with an intentional miss that is calculated as act of self defense when the fear of death or bodily injury is reasonable, is not a crime -- even if good judgment would be to kill the bad guy immediately.

As to exactly what I would do, it is like my concealed weapon -- it is not for publication and only for me to know.

P.S. Having tried several killing cases, and having defended several federal civil rights excessive suits, I know a little about what I am talking about.

In the situation described by the OP, the scenario stated "there is enough distance between them and you that they are not an 'immediate' threat." Perhaps a better question besides "Would you fire a warning shot?" would be, why did the OP draw on these guys in the first place?

I think in most states, drawing on the guys in this scenario would represent aggravated assault since the following criteria for self defense were not present:
    1) A reasonable belief that
    2) you were in immediate threat of
    3) severe bodily harm or death

Instead of drawing on these guys, I think the OP should have just called 911 and left the area.

hmm,let me think. absolutly not.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

The only intelligent answer on this group is "Maybe yes and maybe no. It would depend upon the circumstances." I have covered this topic before that these sites are actually reviewed by law enforcement when relevant to a particular case, but no one seems to be concerned.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tubby Rower View Post
    How can they match you with a particular user id without a warrant?
    In response to your question, if I was LEO trying to find you, I would search the internet for various forums where the handle of Tubby Rower is used. That might lead to a bald headed overweight guy from Lynchburg, Virginia whose grandmother died last year and who has a fish hobby or interest. Next with this information, they might check concealed handgun permits and see if they could find photographs of persons from that city or part of the state fitting this description. Also they might check with dealers for sale of a Ruger GP100. There may be some dry runs because of the possibility of multiple persons from Virginia using the same handle or perhaps erroneous data used as a decoy. However, because of vanity of most persons, the leads are likely to be connected to an ID without the need for a warrant.

Earlier posted by CWBLANCO

ANSWER: I did state that I would not fire a warning shot at my assailant as I do not know where the bullet will end up. I stated that I drew my weapon to stop the threat. If the assailant leaves the scene upon weapon presentation, excellent. If not, I have to take action to protect myself and stop the threat. I never mentioned shooting to kill.
    Just my way of answering the question.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

He will get a warning shot only if I miss the first round. He better be lucky!
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Thats it...

Warning Shot is defined as a first shot that missed...

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    In response to your question, if I was LEO trying to find you, I would search the internet for various forums where the handle of Tubby Rower is used. That might lead to a bald headed overweight guy from Lynchburg, Virginia whose grandmother died last year and who has a fish hobby or interest. Next with this information, they might check concealed handgun permits and see if they could find photographs of persons from that city or part of the state fitting this description. Also they might check with dealers for sale of a Ruger GP100. There may be some dry runs because of the possibility of multiple persons from Virginia using the same handle or perhaps erroneous data used as a decoy. However, because of vanity of most persons, the leads are likely to be connected to an ID without the need for a warrant.
    Very astute searching ... I'm curious as to which forums you retrieved the information (respond via PM ). I've put similar information out on different forums and am curious which you got that from. But could you do it in reverse? For instance, looking for handles used by a given name. I'm fairly free with my personal information, probably to my detriment. But that's just the way I'm wired.
    --never fight with an idiot, for he'll bring you down to his level and beat you by experience.--

"Stupid is forever. You can't change stupidity." - Temple's Basketball Coach John Chaney to the home crowd

Why waste a shot? You may need it!
    “They who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty or security” Benjamin Franklin
    I'm not pro gun, I'm pro rights. What are you?

NRA
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Links