Would you fire a warning shot?

This is a discussion on Would you fire a warning shot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by walvord If I ever have to draw, it will not be for a warning shot. It will be because I fear for ...

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Thread: Would you fire a warning shot?

Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    If I ever have to draw, it will not be for a warning shot. It will be because I fear for my life or the life of my loved ones and my goal will be to stop the threat.
    +1 NO warning shots for me!

If I have to shoot, it'll be into a BG, not the air, ground, or anything else inanimate that is not a threat.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
    Drawing a firearm is not a negotiating tactic. If one draws a firearm, they better have the intestinal fortitude to fire if the situation warrants firing. Once the firearm is drawn there is no conversation. There is only directives given by the possessor of the firearm to the adversary. If directives are followed, no shoot. If directives are not followed, well shoot is viable option.
    I think the above says it best. If my gun clears leather my intent is not to threaten or intimidate, my only intent is to eliminate the threat. That decision was made many years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenSix9ine View Post
    First lets define "warning shot"

According to my wife a "warning shot" is a shot fired into a BG that warns other BG's that they will be next if they come between her and her kids. (I love that woman)
    She definitely is a keeper.
    Last edited by LongRider; February 23rd, 2008 at 05:10 PM. Reason: Edit grammar
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    no warning shots. no way! if you are forced to use lethal force you should use it.

i don;t particularly like the idea stray bullets flying out of my gun...
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Off topic sorta I had to answer this I was going to leave it alone but I do think it is worthy of discussion. Would probably be a good thread

Quote Originally Posted by cwblanco View Post
    QUESTION AT TRIAL: Didn't you recently state in a message posted to a web site that you would never under any circumstances whatsoever fire a warning shot at a perceived assailant, and that when you drew your gun you always would to shoot to kill?
    Answer: Sir to respond I need to put that statement in context. First off, not one person on the thread you are referring to said anything about killing another human being. I can only guess why anyone would make story that up. (that said while looking dead at the persecutor)
    Second, I along with most responses on that message board about responsible gun ownership agreed I would never draw my weapon ever unless I was in fear for my life. I would never draw my weapon to intimidate or bully someone.
    Unlike some people. (that said while looking dead at the persecutor)

BTW That was a spontaneous responce as you very well know in homicide case. The answer to every possible question would be well rehearsed. Disclosure would require the persecutor let my attorney know they were going to use message board statements. Yeah been there done that more than once. No I am not a lawyer.
    That said you are absolutely right do not say anything here you would not say in a court room. Everything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law applies here.

* if forced to answer yes or no the answer would be NO sir. On rebuttal my lawyer would let me explain
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

i only waste time and ammo on worning shots when congress orders me to(ie when deployed to "mootw" environments). too many things that can get tangled up and put you in the defendants chair even if it does solve the immediate threat.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

NO. You can be arrested for warning shots

Senior Member Array Super Trucker's Avatar
    2 warning shots to center mass.

Some bear experts believe there is no such thing as a 'bluff charge' .... bears charge until they decide not too.

Same with the draw for me/
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

Thank GOD for the Castle-Doctrine and Florida's laws. We do not have to worry about the crooks family suing you. If your going to draw your weapon and the perp is still walking towards you, you have to shoot. Not up in the air eaither, that's against the law. You might kill a little child playing in the park.
    Now that we have that out of the way, we should never forget that it takes 3.5 seconds for a perp to reach you from 15 feet. 3.5 seconds, are you going to shoot a warning? I doubt it!
    BE SAFE and Carry

My only warning shot will be the first shot that doesn't drop you if I miss a COM shot.

I have always been taught if you draw, you plan to use. If I cover it with my muzzle, it will be destroyed.
    Sean
    XD 9SC | XD 45ACP Service | XD 45ACP Compact |Borealis
    "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If you don't tell your dispatcher where you are, you'd better be on speaking terms with God!"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USA Pugilist View Post
    Thank GOD for the Castle-Doctrine and Florida's laws. We do not have to worry about the crooks family suing you. If your going to draw your weapon and the perp is still walking towards you, you have to shoot. Not up in the air eaither, that's against the law. You might kill a little child playing in the park.
    Now that we have that out of the way, we should never forget that it takes 3.5 seconds for a perp to reach you from 15 feet. 3.5 seconds, are you going to shoot a warning? I doubt it!
    BE SAFE and Carry
    I can cover 15 feet in about a second. Top sprinters can do 50 yards in around 5.5 seconds. Are you sure about your numbers here?
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

If I miss with the first round theres his warning shot

+1 OPFOR - you might want to check those numbers USA-Pugilist. 15 feet is very close indeed. Even 15 yards is close!

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    There IS one situation where I'd CONSIDER a warning shot.

It's not uncommon for us to run across a bear family while out mountain biking. In the past, the sound of a shot fired has been enough to send mama and babies packing. If mama seems to be lingering and upset that we rode up on her babies, she'll get a warning shot, although typically, despite all the stories, they all just run off as soon as we get close.
    just goes to show bears are smarter tham most BG'S. still would not fire a warning shot if my life is in iminant danger.

From what I can remember my CWP instructor told me 3 seconds average. Exeptional athletes are much faster, no doubt. The point is that there is not enough time to try and analyse an assailant when coming towards you. Of course under the context that he or she is trying to kill or do serious bodily harm. The second point is that under any scenerio you should not forget how fast they can reach you. It's dumb to not keep this in mind. Very important piece of info to forget even if it is hypotheticlly.
    I ment yards (average human)

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Links