Would you fire a warning shot?

This is a discussion on Would you fire a warning shot? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; the only warning shot that won't land you in jail is from a pepper spray dispenser. that said im looking inot getting some pepperball one ...

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Thread: Would you fire a warning shot?

the only warning shot that won't land you in jail is from a pepper spray dispenser. that said im looking inot getting some pepperball one of these days when i hit the pick six.
    "Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result."
    -Winston Churchill
    Every well-bred petty crook knows: the small concealable weapons always go to the far left of the place setting.
    -Inara, firefly

2. Remove Ads

nnooooooooo
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

There will be no warning shot or verbal warning. The BG's know they are up to no good and the consequences can be dangerous, I intend to confirm their opinions of the dangers. History has shown that in the vast majority of life threatening situations, there are more than one assailant, why waste a round, each one is critical. As to whether or not a weapon is visible, I am an overweight, slightly handicapped Senior Citizen, the mere fact of a threatening aproach by folks indicating that they may do me or mine harm, is, in my view, Disparity of Force and ample reason to defend myself.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by USA Pugilist View Post
    From what I can remember my CWP instructor told me 3 seconds average. Exeptional athletes are much faster, no doubt. The point is that there is not enough time to try and analyse an assailant when coming towards you. Of course under the context that he or she is trying to kill or do serious bodily harm. The second point is that under any scenerio you should not forget how fast they can reach you. It's dumb to not keep this in mind. Very important piece of info to forget even if it is hypotheticlly.
    I ment yards (average human)
    15 yards sounds much more reasonable, and your point is well made in any case - distances can be closed very quickly, so situational awareness and practiced, fast, smooth defensive responses are critical.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Warning shots go between their eyes. Consecutively followed by non-warning shots.

Never. If I pull the trigger, there will be a target clearly identified

In most states discharging a firearm in a public place is illegal. And with no BG’s stopping your bullet to support your story, you may end up in jail.

In the past 30 plus years of carrying a handgun, I’ve had to draw it a couple of times, but I’ve never fired a warning shot. If you point a sidearm at COM, with a two hand hold and command them to the ground, and they still keep coming, there is something wrong, and now’s the time to act.

I remember a time, when four drunken BG’s where not following the commands of a state trooper, who was by himself, and had drawn his service weapon. I was responding to the same DUI stop, seeing what was going on as I pulled over to the side, I grab the riot shotgun, then while walking toward them, I shuffle one in the chamber, and shouted sheriffs department, do you need assistance trooper. It’s amazing how fast they could find there knees when looking at a 12-guarge.

Interesting side fact: One of the BG’s who was walking toward the trooper had a straight razor in his back pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by johnsr View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cj View Post
    There IS one situation where I'd CONSIDER a warning shot.

It's not uncommon for us to run across a bear family while out mountain biking. In the past, the sound of a shot fired has been enough to send mama and babies packing. If mama seems to be lingering and upset that we rode up on her babies, she'll get a warning shot, although typically, despite all the stories, they all just run off as soon as we get close.
    just goes to show bears are smarter than most BG'S. still would not fire a warning shot if my life is in imminent danger.
    I think CONSIDER is the operative word. That said, not likely that a bear or any animal that is not hunting you for food will ever just attack, without a warning. I agree that a warning shot is appropriate for four legged animals, hate have shot a bear or any four legged animal because I panicked, thinking their warning was an attack
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

I still say if a BG was attacking my family and I couldn't get a clear shot, either because of an obstruction or my family being behind the BG, I would fire a warning shot in order to bring his attention to me instead of my loved ones. Sometimes a gunshot gets attention a little more than yelling.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I was once confronted by a guy who acted like he was going to pull a weapon on me, Now dont get me wrong but I survived one situation where I waited too long to draw, so I guess you can say I am a bit quicker on the draw now. If I am in condition orange and someone even acts like they are going to pull a weapon I want to be in control. When I say be in control I mean I want to get the first shot(s) off. After this idiot was looking down the barrel of my Defenisve tool he decided it was not cool to continue his threatening behavior, instead he decided it would be smart to show me his hands and then walk towards me. He almost got a warning shot, I think he saw it comming and decided to back off, maybe just maybe because my Defensive tool was pointed COM, and that would have been his warning shot. I dont think for a minute that had I not had him covered with my weapon/defensive tool, that he would have stopped. So whats my answer? yes warning shots are a good thing, if they are aimed COM, one warning and while your waiting for your pistol to come back down to COM you can decide if another warning is needed, but in all fairness everyone deserves two warnings, So just make it a habit to give two warnings then if needed you can give a third/fourth/fith warning as needed.

NO warning shots. They increase the chance of bystanders (even at a distance) of being hurt thus increasing your chance of liability.

Yes. My first warning shot would be CM......The second, would be in the teeth....

No...shoot to stop the threat.
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

As said earlier, I hope none of you guys end up in court(I hope you guys don't end up in court anyway), but with an over-zelous DA and the comments you have made here, a good DA would have the jury wanting to throw the book at you. You plead self defense, and some of these comments get read to the court room...Good luck with that.
    You never know what kind of situation you will find yourself in. Having a predetermined outcome of a situation where you can't possibly know the circumstances because they haven't happened yet is foolhardy.

Have a plan, be prepared, and hopefully training will take over when the first two don't work out.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by BerneyG View Post
    As said earlier, I hope none of you guys end up in court(I hope you guys don't end up in court anyway), but with an over-zelous DA and the comments you have made here, a good DA would have the jury wanting to throw the book at you. You plead self defense, and some of these comments get read to the court room...Good luck with that.
    You never know what kind of situation you will find yourself in. Having a predetermined outcome of a situation where you can't possibly know the circumstances because they haven't happened yet is foolhardy.

Have a plan, be prepared, and hopefully training will take over when the first two don't work out.
    Yes, anything you post can be used against you by a DA in court, but that does not mean that we should not post our opinions here. An "over-zelous DA" will probably use the fact that you belong to a community of gun crazies on the internet. They will pick apart your life and everything in it. Stating that you don't believe in a warning shot when your life is threatened really isn't going to do much as this is what most of us are trained. Law enforcement officers are not trained to fire a warning shot, and neither should anyone else. Discharging a firearm, can end up in an innocent being hurt as you are discharging a weapon in a possibly unsafe direction risking a ricochet or worse. Playing out the possible situations and the possible outcomes prepare us so that we don't become victims. There is nothing wrong with this. No one here is claiming to take the law in there hands or stating they are going to commit murder. We are talking about a situation of self defense.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Links