What would you do?

What would you do?

This is a discussion on What would you do? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I like discussing defensive scenario's because in addition to physical training (exercising and visting the range), we also need to prepare mentally for what might ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: What would you do?

What would you do?

I like discussing defensive scenario's because in addition to physical training (exercising and visting the range), we also need to prepare mentally for what might happen. With that in mind, what would you do in the following scenario...

You are pocket carrying and you are alone. A man approaches, flashes his gun sticking out of his pants and asks for your wallet. His hand is NOT on his weapon. Due to your situational awareness, your hand IS on your weapon, but he is too stupid to notice.

Do you hand over the wallet, or escalate?

Senior Moderator
    I throw my wallet away from me and him.

If he walks away from me picks up the wallet and leaves with out touching his gun, then he doesn't get shot.

If he looks like he is going for his pistol then he gets shot.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Senior Moderator
    Escalate, IMHO. There is no reason to believe that compliance will prevent him from killing you anyway.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Escalate? What's that? I'd take aim in an instant! Him threatening me while he has a gun is enough cause. If he turns and runs before I shoot, then he'll live to see another day and hopefully won't do that to anyone else ever again. If he sticks with the current scenario, he'll stick with it until the end.

I TOTALLY agree with Ram Rod and Matt on this one, escalate! Him flashing a weapon is enough to show that he is willing to use violence in this situation if you resist.
    Glock Perfection
    "A right not used is a right lost" -Unknown

Live by the gun die by the gun,him flashing a gun while demandinga wallet is armed robbery,I guess he will of picked the wrong guy to rob as i will give him my 45 ,bullets first

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Live by the gun die by the gun,him flashing a gun while demandinga wallet is armed robbery,I guess he will of picked the wrong guy to rob as i will give him my 45 ,bullets first
    EXACTLY!!! Weapon drawn or not, he is intending to use it if he has to!
    Glock Perfection
    "A right not used is a right lost" -Unknown

Escalate? He's already threatening me with a deadly weapon.

I'm going to de-escalate the danger to myself by putting 2 rounds COM.

If he is flashing his firearm from his waitband, he is conveying a message that he intends to use it if I don't give him what he wants. If I already have my hand on my firearm in my pants pocket and he doesn't know about it, I'm gonna tell him "no" to the wallet and then see what his action is. If he goes for the draw, I'm already a step ahead of him and I stop the threat accordingly. I'm thinking if I shoot him and his firearm is still in his pants, things might not go too good for me. I want him at least drawing and having it somewhat out. Now if I'm with someone as another witness, I might not wait for him to draw. I just don't want it to be his word against mine alone when the shooting starts.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Quote Originally Posted by David in FL View Post
    Escalate? He's already threatening me with a deadly weapon.

I'm going to de-escalate the danger to myself by putting 2 rounds COM.

David in FL has the right idea. what better time to use force? I would not want to wait while he takes my wallet then reaches for his gun. End it quickly as you can.
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

Senior Moderator
    I may not take the shot immediately, but I'd definitely draw on him and communicate as appropriate.

His call at that point whether he gets shot or not.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

my untimate goal....make it home to the wife and kids....ALIVE! Here Sir, you can have my wallet.....but take these 2 rounds with it!

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    The whole point of CCW is to be able to respond to situations like this. There is likely not enough time to properly weigh the risk or various options so I say react the way you trained to. Draw and fire. Train yourself to identify a threat and react.

I don't have to wait to be shot to defend myself. He displayed a gun for the purpose of intimidating me and robbing me. I don't know what he may do after he gets my money but I know he has a gun and that is a treat to my life. My gun comes out and I bark short, concise orders to raise his hands. If he goes for the gun he gets shot. If he runs I don't fire or chase him.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    My responce would be "No Problem Bro!" to give him a false sence I will comply. Then I draw and shoot COM atleast two shots. I wouldn't give him a second longer to think about it.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links