How many?

How many?

This is a discussion on How many? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; In another thread I read allot of posts from you all about two shots COM for a bad guy. Why only two? I carry a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many?

VIP Member

How many?

In another thread I read allot of posts from you all about two shots COM for a bad guy. Why only two? I carry a snubby with four rounds in it, and in my range time I practice dumping the gun into the target. If I ever have to shoot a BG he's going to get all four rounds COM. That said I know most of you carry autos with more ammo on board. So my question is why only two, and not five or six. If I'm afraid for my life I think five or six rapid shots to the BG is warranted. Your thoughts please.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    As many as it takes.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    As many as it takes.
    Exactly right. If it takes 2 rounds or 10 rounds, or any number, you shoot until the threat is stopped.

From your post, I assume you carry a 5 shot revolver. I think you're making a grave mistake by carrying only 4 rounds. You're reducing your available firepower by 20%, to what purpose?

Modern revolvers with transfer bar safety mechanisms are perfectly safe with a fully loaded cylinder.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

IMO---I'll continue to shoot until the threat is no longer a threat. You have to realize---folks will fight as they train. Training comes from those already trained, and they become trained by the trainer. Many schools of thought on the issues, and when you think about the two shots scenario----those folks were under the teaching of shoot twice then assess (or re-assess) the threat. Those who would say two to the body COM, then one to the head---most likely learned from an instructor highly involved in IDPA, etc........kind of like selecting that perfect pistol for you---use your own judgment along with researched opinions, what makes most sense to you, and what your goals will be. In all reality--in an actual defensive scenario---it will most likely come as a surprise and you won't be following or 'recollecting' play-by-play orderly steps to take. You ultimately have one thing to worry about---your life or danger to your loved ones. Formal training is excellent IMO, but that is mainly to prepare you to make your own best decision in any given scenario.

personally, my thinking is to fire 3-5 rounds high-center chest. If they're still standing, shift aim to the head and fire another burst (obviously if they cease to be a threat after the first burst, I won't shoot any more).
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I would say enough to knock them down to stop the attack. I practice failure drills by two to the chest then one to the head when someone says fail..... guess I could start puting 4 COM then failure to the head if needed.... at least it would be more fun
    I believe in gun control...... Thats why I use TWO hands.

I'll just add that sense most people are conditioned to see immediate response in a target from popular culture that even many soldiers and police fire many rounds until a target drops, and with handgun cartridges many times the human body has to register the shock and bleeding before the subject will be hit. The point is, most of the time anyone will probably shoot more than just one or two rounds into a target because they won't stop immediatly.

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    One reason to shoot two with a snubby is that his pal might need a couple as well...

Train / Practice with 1 to 4 targets on a regular basis. Mix it up in numbers, angles, and distance.

Spread load the number of rounds based on the number of targets.

Snubbie plus another Snubbie or Semi-Auto then always carry a fixed blade knife along with your flashlight or two.

Practice and Train with all tools on targets as above, day - low light - night.

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    As many as it takes.
    +1 - shoot until the threat is stopped / neutralized.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

IIRC the legal standard in Texas is "until the threat ceases to be a threat".

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paymeister View Post
    One reason to shoot two with a snubby is that his pal might need a couple as well...
    A good point that need to be understood.

I would also guess that some CCW's that may have to defend themselves would not like to go into court and have to explain why they just emptied their 17 round magazine into the BG.

Apply only as needed.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Which would sound better to a jury. Mr Smith fired only 2 shots from his firearm to stop the threat or Mr Smith emptyed his clip which held 10 rounds into the victom.

Question

A snubby with 4 rounds? COP or downloaded 5 shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Modern revolvers with transfer bar safety mechanisms are perfectly safe with a fully loaded cylinder.
    I agree with the comment re safety, but why the drum beating, Cap'n?

I march to the beat of a different drummer: one extra more round is going to make no difference if the first is well placed.

I hunt squirrels with a .22 revolver. One shot, well-placed, adds one to the stew. Any more just spoils meat.

While at a formal event, I sometimes carry a very concealable derringer with "oh my heck" ONLY two rounds! Again, if (God forbid) I ever have to use it, placing the first correctly means a second shot would be overkill.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links