How to defend against car jacking.

This is a discussion on How to defend against car jacking. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is a scenario that I think about quite often and I'm not sure how I would handle this (till it happens)... I work at ...

Thread: How to defend against car jacking.

How to defend against car jacking.

This is a scenario that I think about quite often and I'm not sure how I would handle this (till it happens)...

I work at a downtown office building with an attached parking garage. The neighborhood for about 6 blocks around this building is not grade "A" and their are stop lights at every corner. Now, I am already yellow alert when I pull out of the parking garage and I leave a lot of space between me and the car in front of me at the stop light in case I need to manuever.

So... I'm at a stoplight and I'm boxed in. I notice 2 possible BG approaching my car and they have their eyes locked on me. I don't see any weapons as they approach my drivers window. I have a Ruger SP101 in the car and within reach.

What would you do?

(The ultimate goal of this scenario is to live another day and not go to jail.)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Keep your doors locked, windows rolled up all the way. That can help make you a harder target. Have a crossdraw BUG that would be easy to get to in this situation with out the BG seeing it. I would attempt to shoot BG through the door if BG is armed.
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    First of all, lock your doors when you get in your car. Allow plenty of room between cars, don't let yourself get boxed in. Roll up your windows when stopping. Situational awareness is the key.

To answer your question, how do you know they're bad guys? Have cell phone out ready to call 911 on speaker phone to keep your hands free. Have gun nearby, but concealed just in case you need it. Rev the engine if they get close. Only pull the gun if a life threatening situation arises.

VIP Member
    1.ALWAYS keep your doors locked.
    2. Roll up your windows.
    3. Draw your weapon and have it at ready.
    4. Call 911.
    5. I would not fire until it is a definite shooting situation, ie. they break a window, or display a weapon of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    First of all, lock your doors when you get in your car. Allow plenty of room between cars, don't let yourself get boxed in. Roll up your windows when stopping. Situational awareness is the key.

To answer your question, how do you know they're bad guys? Have cell phone out ready to call 911 on speaker phone to keep your hands free. Have gun nearby, but concealed just in case you need it. Rev the engine if they get close. Only pull the gun if a life threatening situation arises.
    I'll go along with that pretty much. Indeed--you're already aware of your surroundings and the neighborhood when you leave the building. Already---that's part of your situation awareness! Never allow yourself to get boxed in. Stoplights? I'd rather have a moving violation than a "situation". The automobile is a very large, powerful, and dangerous weapon. It's also your home away from home, and somewhat fortified escape bubble. Use everything you have to your advantage. (Im also and avid fan of window tint) Above all, your mind is the best weapon in the self defense scenario. Others opinions will only reinforce that notion.

First, YOU need to answer this question-Which is more important- to "live another day" or to "not go to jail?"

I ask because if it goes bad, you may go to jail, at least until the police figure out what happened.

I've had BG's walk up to my car. When they got within 15-10 feet, That's when they saw the gun. In all 3 cases, they backed off immediately. Waiting until they are close enough to touch, or surround the car is your first(& last) mistake.

Also don't forget you have the horn to make noise with.

As far as the cell phone, if you have 1 touch set up for 911, push & hold the button. Then set the damn thing on the seat & FORGET ABOUT IT. You don't need the speaker phone, and you don't need to talkinto the phone. Cell phone speakers are so sensitive now that you can talk normally in a closed up car with the phone on the seat next to you and the party on the other end will hear you. Dispatch will hear what's going on. If you don't have 1 touch dialing on the phone, forget about calling for help. With so much going on around you, the last thing you need is another low value distraction. Face it, chances are that no help will arrive until the event is over. You can call after you are out of danger.
    Please contribute to the continuing destruction of Liberty. Vote Republican or Democrat.

Don't let yourself get boxed in. Your car is a 3000 pound (or more) weapon, and I'd rather take my chances driving out of a situation than shooting my way out of it. Even if that means ramming another car to move it.

It's all about situational awareness. There are times that a red light means look both ways before driving through the intersection.

try this when you get a second. Stop behind a car like you normally do and then try to go around it. You are to close, can not make the swing. Now stop your vehicle when you see the car in front of you rear tires meet the pavement. Now try to swing around the stopped car. No Problem prenty of getaway room.

Quote Originally Posted by UpOn2Wheels View Post
    Don't let yourself get boxed in. Your car is a 3000 pound (or more) weapon, and I'd rather take my chances driving out of a situation than shooting my way out of it. Even if that means ramming another car to move it.

It's all about situational awareness. There are times that a red light means look both ways before driving through the intersection.
    Exactly! Why allow yourself to get boxed in?

The moment I see a weapon, or they try to force entry, I put 4 warning shots in their chests.
    I carry a Sig 226. I would have 8 shots left .

It's against the law to brandish your weapon for intimidation. Be very careful a cop isnt standing next to you.
    Last edited by USA Pugilist; February 27th, 2008 at 05:26 PM.

Links