A good way to play this?

A good way to play this?

This is a discussion on A good way to play this? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Part of this scenario played out in front of me today. I will say I have lost my cell charger and it is dead so ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    me [OP]

A good way to play this?

Part of this scenario played out in front of me today. I will say I have lost my cell charger and it is dead so I was SOL for my phone but had mom's with her in the car behind me.

We were on our way home this morning and saw 2 guys fighting on a small porch. One looked to be trying to get into the house (M1) and the other looked to just want to kick the crap out of him (M2). The porch they were fighting on is about 4' long by 2' wide and about 5' off the concrete walk way. Punches were being thrown and it was pretty physical (enough I could tell from 2 blocks away).

Well I continued to the grocery store down and across the street from this and watched from there and by the time we would have called the cops M2 was back in his car, (I had no plate info) and gone.

Here is where my question comes in. What would have been the appropriate thing to do if M2 had thrown M1 off the porch and had him head dive, which it would have been to the concrete. My State does allow third party defense and M2 was very intent on hurting M1. A fall such as this would have brought his head down a distance of 10' (Considered in the Trauma world a Significant Mechanism of Injury). I had a full trauma bag with me to treat if the need had arisen but how do you play this if he tosses him and then continues? Where does the line of witness stop and sheepdog start?

I can't help but think had it continued like this I would have drawn, I had already got out the gun I did not have the ability to conceal at church in case.

Thoughts?
    Mark

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

-James Earl Jones

If you don't know them your better off staying out of it. With the exception of calling the police. In that case you really don't know who the bad guy is. The guy getting tossed off the porch could be the bad guy and getting what is coming to him for tresspassing or it could be the opposite way around. I know it would go against the grain to walk or drive away from someone getting hurt but you never know who the real bad guy is.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Call the 911 like ridurall said you dont know who the BG is.
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

VIP Member
    For this, I would have called and not gotten any more involved. You don't know what the circumstances were. I can't say as I'd insert myself into it any more than calling 911 and being a good witness.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Ditto on all of the above. You do not know what the situation is, do not get involved other than being a witness.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    I think in this case, if it's not your porch, call 911 and be a good witness. JMO
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

VIP Member
    Can't argue with any of the responses. Call 911 and continue watching. Tell the responding LEO what you saw then leave. If they need anything else from you they will contact you.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I have to agree with the other post, call 911 because you have no idea what you would be inserting yourself into. You mentioned that you had a trauma kit, If you have fire department or other medical training, they should have thought you to not go in until the police have secured the scene.

I'm in the same boat with everyone else who's posted here. Just makes sense.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I agree with the above advice about calling 911 & being a good witness. My obligation is to me & my family. I am no good to them if I die trying to save a stranger.

as said by others call 911.
    Jack dog

I would call 911 and then scream at them that I had called, that might send the BG running and save the victim a little pain. If the BG started towards me... I would protect myself...

Quote Originally Posted by gbryant View Post
    I would call 911 and then scream at them that I had called, that might send the BG running and save the victim a little pain. If the BG started towards me... I would protect myself...
    yea...what he said
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by gbryant View Post
    I personally think this is the best response (and something I have actually had occasion to do in the past). By shouting, you might cause them to disengage before someone gets seriously hurt.

I do agree that you shouldn't get involved unless it's pretty obvious what's going on. As has been stated, the guy who's winning may have been the original target of an assault and, apparently a harder target than the BG thought.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Ron
    I agree with what everyone else wrote. This scenario is virtually a "no brainer" for not getting involved. You risk much too much when it is not patently clear what is actually going on and who is, in fact, the BG.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links