How would you go about this?

This is a discussion on How would you go about this? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by derekxec ive talked to the sargent at the palm beach county sheriffs office today and they said there is nothing they can ...

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you go about this?

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by derekxec View Post
    ive talked to the sargent at the palm beach county sheriffs office today and they said there is nothing they can do still and hes going to send an unmarked car and random undercovers on bicycles to ride by and see if its as big a problem as we make it out to be....other than that he said we have to have 4 weeks worth of video to get a tresspassing warning issued and the only way i can use self defense is if im cornered and cannot run away(no matter if they have a gun knife etc)

also there is a new guy hanging around with them that aparently just got out of jail for putting a gun in someones face and telling them he was going to kill them

Uh......., I believe the castle doctrine in Florida does not require that you retreat.
    Am I wrong about this?
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

2. Remove Ads

From the Texas perspective, the Castle Doctrine allows you to stand your ground in terms of protecting your home. Retreating is NOT required. Again, this is in Texas. Not sure if the Castle Doctrine is the same in Florida.

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post

Uh......., I believe the castle doctrine in Florida does not require that you retreat.
    Am I wrong about this?
    yes and no

the Castle Doctrine doesn't require retreat, but only applies when you're in your castle (home, hotel, car, ...)

we have a separate "stand your ground" law which removes duty to retreat when you are wherever you have a right to be

it's still good advice to retreat if it can be done safely. the new law was not written to encourage stupid king of the hill gunfights. it was written to keep Floridians and tourists from being prosecuted for defending themselves rather than being in shot in the back while trying to retreat. it's to keep us from being more afraid of the legal consequences than of the BG's weapon

I am not a lawyer, and would prefer not to send them any business except for advisory

In most states, a letter stating they cannot trespass sent certified mail serves as a trespass notice.
    "No freeman shall be debarred the use of arms"
    --Thomas Jefferson

"No problem exists thats can't be solved through the liberal application of high explosives"

How far are you from Alligator Alley?

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    How far are you from Alligator Alley?
    LOL about 100 miles north of it haha

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    ive talked to the sargent at the palm beach county sheriffs office today and they said there is nothing they can do still and hes going to send an unmarked car and random undercovers on bicycles to ride by and see if its as big a problem as we make it out to be.
    I wouldn't hold your breath on this one.

he said we have to have 4 weeks worth of video to get a tresspassing warning issued
    I am not a lawyer but I find it hard to believe that the law books say this.

From your original post, it sounds like you make yourself a fun target to pick on. Just like when we were little kids, if you didn't let bullies bother you, you were no fun to pick on & they often times moved on to somebody else.

derek, from your comments, it sounds like they are giving you the run around. Almost as if you have a few complaints filed against you by the same group, where it would be hard for a LEO to figure out who was at fault. If you know the 17 year old has a gun, call Child Protective Services...they can do a lot a LEO can't do...or make a LEO do things he doesn't want to do. If you know for a fact that they are using illegal drugs next door and you can smell it out the window, call it in immediately. These are things that can be easily checked up on. If you actually have video/audio of them threatening to shoot you, take it to the DA, and the Police Chief, if they give you the runaround, tell them your next stop is Fox News...I would typically not go as far as I am recommending, but I don't believe I would ever let it get as far as you have let it. It sounds to me like this has gone way past a few bullies picking on an easy target. It sounds like this is going to continue to progress to me.

Stay aware, stay safe, document, purchase a weapon, and save up for a down payment to a new place...it sounds like you're not in the best of neighborhoods
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I may have missed it, but you DO have a no trespassing sign out, right? If so, when they trespass, call the cops and they will not do anything but file a contact report, unless the jerks are stupid enough to be there. The next time, video evidence or reliable eyewitnesses can confirm the trespass, and they should be cited.

The next time a cop shows up, show him or her your video setup, stay calm, and try to be really reasonable. You are doing some of their job for them and believe it or not they appreciate that, unless they find you to be as big a pita as the jerks. It is a tough situation, and I am rooting for you.

braindonor, the OP said the LEO told him he had to have 4 weeks of video evidence for them to serve a tresspassing warning...that's why I said it sounds like he is getting the runaround.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

Who is John Galt?

ive talked to the sargent at the palm beach county sheriffs office today and they said there is nothing they can do still and hes going to send an unmarked car and random undercovers on bicycles to ride by and see if its as big a problem as we make it out to be....other than that he said we have to have 4 weeks worth of video to get a tresspassing warning issued and the only way i can use self defense is if im cornered and cannot run away(no matter if they have a gun knife etc)

also there is a new guy hanging around with them that aparently just got out of jail for putting a gun in someones face and telling them he was going to kill them
    what!!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

oh we were also told by the chief that you have to complain to the sargent first then if he cant solve it you go to the rank above him etc etc

derek, you're past that...you've put yourself in a potentially very bad situation. you've already complained, next time, insist on filing charges, if they threaten to take you to jail also, put your hands behind your head and if you're not leaving any details out, you won't have to worry about a lawyer anymore. Attorneys like taking 30 percent of civil suits. I'm sure you read the post on this site about when the police told the daughter to stop calling the police on her ex and then the ex ended up killing her. Take that article(not the thread, the article) with you to the police station when you swear out the arrest warrant for attempted robbery, assault, drug possesion, and minor with a handgun.

Who is John Galt?

VIP Member
    It seems to me that the major issue is that it is his word against the neighbor's word. You can't take that to court. No prosecutor is going to do anything with that. This is why the PD won't act or arrest on it.

Keep everything documented, though. If it keeps up eventually it may be handy, especially if you ever have to defend yourself.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

At least tell me you have all the letters written and are mailing them today?
    at walmart a 20 ga. for 165.00 , 00 buckshot 5.00, saving your life priceless?
    These things should have been done yesterday!!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Links