How would you go about this? - Page 5

How would you go about this?

This is a discussion on How would you go about this? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; i didnt see it exactly when they broke the window or popped the tire but one of them came to my door and said they ...

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: How would you go about this?

i didnt see it exactly when they broke the window or popped the tire but one of them came to my door and said they were going to do it so i went inside to call the cops and hear smash and look out to see him running away from the truck...on the tire it was at night and i walked out the door and heared the sound of air coming out of a tire and he popped up right behind my truck with an ice pick in his hand and acted like nothing happened and ran in to his house

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    I just read this thread. Hopefully I just missed it and someone has already suggested that you and each one of your housemates get a restraining / no contact order against every single one of those creeps. That is you critical number one step. Without it the police can not, will not do anything until someone gets hurt or property is damaged. Help the police help you get the No Contact Order. Do it now skip school work whatever make it your number one priority, It will take most of the morning or afternoon. Be sure every one especially the ladies gets one, Everyone should let the court know that they are in fear of being killed or injured, the ladies should let the court know they are also afraid of being raped. Once you have the order you and the police can do something. Without it you will have to wait until AFTER someone gets raped killed or injured. So your choice really. If you do not have the time to do that than you must not have anything real to worry about. Have the court specifically order that they can not come to your work, school home, church and a must stay a specific distance away from you. Ask that they be ordered to have no contact with any of you not in person, by mail, phone or third party.
    Once you have the No Contact Restraining Order call the police every time they violate it. They WILL go to jail. When you get it please PM me for some ideas on how to stay safe.
    i tried getting the restraining order and such but they said they need 4 weeks worth of video to be able to tell if its warranted or not...same with a tresspassing warning and ive got a big german shepard that is very protective and she usually lets me know when they get close to the house at night(also the video cameras i have set up)..the cops seem like they dont really care

Quote Originally Posted by Slimz13 View Post
    Another thought - if you're looking for simple, affordable surveillance equipment, check out some of the simple home security camera packages on ebay. It wont be anything overly high quality, but they're usually cheap, effective, and not too hard to replace if your 'neighbors' decide they don't like being watched....

Like many have said - situational awareness is absolutely key in this situation. BE AWARE of what they are doing. You say they're always out on their porch talking smack. To me, i personally would be more worried if they were nowhere in sight. Then you've gotta wonder where they ARE.. If you know where they are, you know where they're NOT.

Keep ALL your doors and windows locked. Invest $30 in a set of heavy-duty deadbolts for the 2 or 3 outside-entry doors in the house. It wouldn't hurt to get in the habit of taking stock of your house when you get home at night, just to take a look around for obvious signs of trouble before you enter - broken window, busted latch on the back door, etc..

What are your roommates & significant other's reactions to this threat? Are they taking it as seriously as you are?
    just a thought..
    deadbolts are on every door and ive got 2 cameras set up now but im getting more..i pointed them so that each camera could see the other so if they do something to one the other will catch it

only problem with them breaking in is there is never anyone not here so if they break in they might hurt the person thats here

derek, have you already sent out those letters? If so, call the DA and let him know the letters are on their way via certified mail, and ask if you can get an appointment with him. Bring your copies of letters and your video/audio. Bring any police reports that you have. If you have evidence that the police told you that you have to have 4 weeks worth of video/audio, bring that, too. If you have evidence that the police told you they would put you in jail if you complained again, bring that, also. I don't know how your audio/video is set up, but if they came up to your door and told you they were going to break your window, then your audio should have caught that. If they broke your window, your video should have caught that. If not, then what exactly is your audio/video equipment doing for you?
    Anyway, take everything you have to your appointment with the DA. Ask the DA if a representative from the Police Department can attend, also. If not, schedule a seperate appointment with the Chief of Police. If all of the above is done and does not work, call your local newspaper/reporter, and get all of this out in the open. If the police really told you they would put you in jail for making a legitimate complaint, you can bet that they don't want to see that in print. Good luck, and as said above, repeatedly by different posters, get this done, like yesterday.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    That blows my mind. So I wonder if someone robs a bank or a gas station or someone gets asulted and it is caught on tape, because they don't have 4 weeks of video to turn over to the police, did it really happen?
    you arent kidding man! it sucks now because the sheriff took over a couple months ago and they dont do anything. when we had the town cops it took them an hour to get there after you called but at least they did something when they got there

i asked them if they could send someone by (just do a slow drive by every other day or whatever cause it would only take 2 mins and might settle the kids down). they told me they will look into it but none of us have even seen a marked car let alone an unmarked car come by so that might be thier way of blowing me off

my girlfriend is at the post office right now mailing everything. the broken window thing was the reason i put up the video so i didnt catch it. the cop telling me we would all be going to jail the camera was on the other side of the house pointing over and you can really hear what the cop is saying...he even asked me if i had audio on it because if i did i would be violating the law by taping a cop with audio??????? ive never heard of that before not being able to video a police officer with audio(he said without audio is fine)

the more i read all of your replies the more i get the feeling these cops are corrupt(not saying all cops are but these seem to be)

i seem to be ignorant as hell when it comes to the law....my work is willing to pay 100% for any schooling i want so maybe i should go for a degree in criminal justice?

I have been paying attention to this thread for a couple of days now and everyones advice seems really good. One thing that I would add is to pay close attention to your dog when it is out side. God forbid they throw some sort or chemical soaked food or rat poison or somthign of the sort in the yard. I would not leave her alone out there at all. That has always been a fear of mine with my animals and difficult neighbors. I am moving to Tampa in May and I talked with a gun dealer my last visit. I was told that with a CCW permit, you can walk in and buy your gun and leave with it. If you do not have it, then you fill out a form and there is a short back round and waiting period and you can pick it up (this blows my mind since I am from NY). Anyways I would get that immediatly. Consider that and then shot gun like others have suggested. Make sure the girls are capable of handling each weapon. Good luck and I am glad you keep us posted.. I am sure I speak for all when I say it is frustrating sitting reading this and not being able to help.

oh yeah i dont let me dog out all by herself anymore i would probably kill them if they did anything to her. i go out with her for a while and sit outside while she plays around and does her business then she goes back in. i found out my friend has his CCW and he said its great because he can go to the gun shows and get the guns cheaper and take them home right there. the four of us are going to do a basic pistol class(it is also good for the proficiency requirement for ccw) on march 7th. it covers....

1) Ammunition: History, components,safety, and use.

2) Firearms: History, parts, functions, use and safety.

3) Laws: About concealed carry, situations (shoot or not shoot).

4) Live fire: Preparation for the range, and use of firearms at the range.

5) Range: Show proficiency with a semi-auto handgun and a revolver.

6) Conclusion: Clean the firearms, answer all questions, and talk about the application for the permit, final exam.

i try to update as often as possible so that hopefully i can get help with resolving it and if someone has the same problem they can look at it and will have all the great info they need or might need in the future :)

What's Up Dereck.
    Make sure you dont spend all your money on pistol classes when all the information you need is on the internet and in Books. To be proficient with a gun is to go to the range 4 time a month. And have COMMON SENSE! You do not need to show any special documentation that you are proficient with a handgun. it is merely a question on the paperwork when taking the class. What's important is the fees for electronic fingerprinting, any nominal fee the station charges for prints (usually 8-12bucks), and the 100$ application/picture/course fee. I spent in total 206$
    My friend got is CWP in Orlando and ended up paying 200$ more then me. All CWPs are the same. Shop around and get it quick and cheap.
    Money should be spent on ammunition not training.

When you went for the restraining order, did you go to the sheriff's office or to the local court system? I am in NJ and work as a sheriff's officer. I have seen many domestic violence/restraining order proceedings and 4 weeks worth of video seems like they are playing with you.4 weeks worth of video is going well beyond reasonable doubt. Restraining orders are civil in nature, not criminal. They don't require the same level of proof. I don't know FL law but I dont think you would qualify for a restraining order here since you havent had a relationship besides neighbors. IIRC your posts, the grandpa works in the jail?As an officer? If you can get or do get a restraining order, grandpa might try to tighten the screws on the kids. His weapons would be seized also as they live in the same house. It might be worthwhile to have a talk with the grandpa.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Have you contacted the DA? Have you tried the State Police since the locals don't seem to want to do anything about it?

derek, that sounds like a very comprehensive class and it's good to see somebody interested in concealed carry taking the responsible way out. Yes, there are probably shortcuts that you can take, but you can learn a lot in a course like that. Especially, since by your previous posts I take it that you do not own a firearm. Learning to be comfortable with what you carry is as important or more important as the fact that you can protect yourself. So, good luck with your permit. On the other hand, if money is as tight as you had mentioned earlier, and you are primarily having problems at home, I would recommend a Defensive Shotgun for your home protection rather than a concealed permit. I know that's blasphemy on this forum, but you have very specific problems that you need to deal with and it sounds like your problems are happening at your front door, and not at the local mall. Ideally, both would be preferable, but if you are going to have to neglect one for the other due to budget considerations, I would go with the shotgun.

If you have had a lot of experience with firearms and are a good shot, then I would recommend purchasing the weapon you will choose to carry before the shotgun or the class, as that will give you a measure of home defense, allow you to use it when you get your permit, and will not have the chance of being neglected in a few months once everything straightens out.

Good luck with everything, and keep us posted. I'm glad you got those letters out. Let us know how the meeting with the DA works out.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Sue the property owners.

Their has got to be something in the FL law that allows you to go after a property owner who allows a nuisance to exist on his land.

If you really want to be a mean person, see if you can have the court freeze the equity in the property in anticipation of your prevailing in the lawsuit which means they can't refinance or sell the house to take the equity out.

That will get someone's attention and make they realize you aren't a happy neighbor.

Its attention grabbing in the same way firing a few dozen 12ga slugs throught the house it at 4:00 AM can be, but without the police involvement.

People will be morons until it hits them in the wallet.

i think its about to hit them in the home owners insurance now. thier dog got out of thier yard and bit my brother today. aparently it isnt the first time its happened because someone else sued them 2 times for it and got $125k from thier home owners insurance both times lol!

that class is only $50 so i figure what the hell. my brother went today and got 2 shotguns(mossberg 590? not sure if its any good or not) but there is a 5 day waiting period or 3 day something like that before he can pick it up. today they were all out there and didnt say a word to me or any of us not sure what thats about though. im also getting a $1,000 bonus at work next week for passing a certification test so ill be able to get the handgun with that.

i went to the sheriff office and tried to get the restraining order. maybe i should go to the courthouse instead? if my brother gets 125k out of thier home owners ins. we will be out of here

sounds like a plan. Good luck selling the house with that trash for a neighbor though..

It surpasses incredulity for them to have given you THAT much dirt and still not be touched by the police...

I couldn't help but notice a tiny coincidence:
    The cop who threatened to throw you in jail if you called again also came up with this "law" about it being illegal to audiotape a police officer AFTER you told him you had him on tape saying that... smells a mite south of cheese if you ask me..

Quote Originally Posted by derekxec View Post
    i think its about to hit them in the home owners insurance now. thier dog got out of thier yard and bit my brother today. aparently it isnt the first time its happened because someone else sued them 2 times for it and got $125k from thier home owners insurance both times lol!

that class is only $50 so i figure what the hell. my brother went today and got 2 shotguns(mossberg 590? not sure if its any good or not) but there is a 5 day waiting period or 3 day something like that before he can pick it up. today they were all out there and didnt say a word to me or any of us not sure what thats about though. im also getting a $1,000 bonus at work next week for passing a certification test so ill be able to get the handgun with that.

i went to the sheriff office and tried to get the restraining order. maybe i should go to the courthouse instead? if my brother gets 125k out of thier home owners ins. we will be out of here
    The shotgun is a great idea for home defense! Remember this ain't Texas! The only place you should feel comfortable shooting is when a bad guy is INSIDE your house. Anyplace else you should expect to go to jail. How long you stay there depends on too many things even lawyers can't predict.

And if you've never used a handgun, you are several hundred rounds of practice away from carrying one for self-defense.

Shotguns are a different story. Buy a box of 7 1/2, 8, or 9 shot (on sale) and some clay pigeons and go to your nearest outdoor gun range. throws the pigeons up and shoot them. Inj about 20 to 40 shots, you should be hitting what you aim for (at fairly close range) even while it's moving. Cheap, easy, effective. Now consider that when you pull the trigger, you're going to hit the BG and whatever/whoever is around/behind the BG.

Another advantage to the shotgun is rock salt loads, I'll leave the creation of such ammunition to the rest of the internet. Just as likely to stop an intruder at close range, far less likely to kill.

yeah the shotguns he bought will only leave the house to go the range to practice and ide rather not carry a handgun unless i can hit what im aiming for because i really dont want to shoot anyone but if i have to i dont want to hit an innocent bystander. i definately wouldnt be able to live with myself after that

selling the house is going to be pretty hard that the market isnt that great anymore and also i dont want anyone else to have to put up with them.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Sponsored Links