How would you go about this?

This is a discussion on How would you go about this? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; ok this is a real situation that i need some advice on how to go about this legally please the kids that live next door ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How would you go about this?

How would you go about this?

ok this is a real situation that i need some advice on how to go about this legally please

the kids that live next door to me(ages: 19,17,17) have been giving me trouble for about 2 months now it started with just them talking crap that lives here(me, my brother, his girl friend and my girlfriend). everytime i walk out the door them and at least 4 of thier friends run thier mouths and at odd times they run up and kick my door or walk up and try to open my door when we arent home(i have security cameras that catch them). I have called the cops 5 times already and they came out 4 times and told me they couldnt do anything and the 5th time they told me if i called again everyone would be going to jail(myself included). two of them have told me they were going to shoot me but have done nothing. now today they have seem to have gotten braver and 2 of them ran up to my car door while i was pulling out to leave and tried to open both the driver and passenger side doors. i hit the gas and left quickly so thats all that happened. i know for a fact that one of the 17 year olds that threatened to shoot me carries and firearm sometimes.

what can i do to stop this? none of us have firearms yet(we are all in the process of getting some now though) but we all carry pepper spray. im not sure i want to rely on pepper spray if one pulls a gun though.

thanks for any advice you can give me

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    i know for a fact that one of the 17 year olds that threatened to shoot me carries and firearm sometimes.
    CALL THE PD...again.

Call the city attorneys office and tell them the local law enforcement has told you there is nothing they can do. Tell them you feel threatened 24 hours a day, and would like to file a formal complaint. Then contact the state attorney general's office and repeat all that you told everyone before and that you'd like to file a complaint as well. Start typing out your complaint and make it generic so you can give all of those government offices the same information. Tell them you want to file aggravated assault charges, terroristic threatening charges and whatever else you can come up with. Get audio-video-anything you can on these delinquents. You'll need some good evidence to go with your complaints. Hope you get it done this week and won't have to put up with any more of the shenanigans. Kid carries a pistol huh?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I think they like to see you running scared...and the more you act that way, the more they press to test.

1) Bet they don't own the house...has the landlord been notified of what is happening?

2) Amazing what video will do...pull out a camera...

Agree with RR...file a formal complaint. May not go anywhere, but it is now a public record in case things escalate. Might even file a restraining order...again, a piece of paper...but puts them on notice to be arrested (I think they love seeing you ping). Lastly, protect yourself by any means legal.

Rick

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    good ideas above...

Trying to document the harassment sounds like a good idea. Keep a log book of what happens, who did what, who said what, if you called police, what they say. It adds a lot of authority to your case if you can detail exactly how you have been harassed.

Getting audio and video surveillance of them is useful too. Add it to your case. If you have audio of them threatening you, "I am going to shoot you" take it to the police station and play it for them.

Thinking about a firearm? Be sure you get some proper training and practice. A thorough reading and understanding of the law in your state on when you can and cannot shoot someone is needed too. A pump action shotgun (effective, easy to use, and cheap) is recommended for in home use.

Be extra vigilant about locking your windows, doors, closing blinds, keep an eye out for any lost mail (identity theft). Do a quick scan when exiting your house to try and avoid conflict.

I hate to ask, but if some of them are 17, where are the parents? Call the state social services?

lastly, if this gets serious, move. It is easier to move then shoot someone.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    1) Bet they don't own the house...has the landlord been notified of what is happening?
    To find the Landlords Name and Info, try looking up the house in the County/State Property Tax Records. Many counties have the info of who actually owns the house online. Write the owner a concerned, but polite letter. If you have trouble finding who the owner is contact a local real estate agent-they can find it.
    "a reminder that no law can replace personal responsibility" - Bill Clinton 2010.

Document, file the complaint with the local PD and the county. Social services...pretty much everything said above.

Document, Document, Document. The more of a trail you create the better off you will be if something does happen.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Assuming your story is correct and there isn't another "side" that we don't know about...
    I'd follow Ramrods advice on this one.

These kind of statements do no one any good either:
    and the 5th time they told me if i called again everyone would be going to jail(myself included)
    Clearly it's already caused a problem because you're here asking us for advice on quite frankly a serious problem, rather than calling the PD again. Sounds to me like there needs to be some house cleaning at the local PD. Make sure the City Attorney is aware of that statement as well.

When you're threatened by those around you and you're afraid to call the PD, who's left to help?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

the grandparents own the house its a 3 bedroom and there is grandma, grandpa, the 3 kids, thier mom, 2 cousins, and thier mom

the grandpa works in the county jail and does nothing about any of the stuff that goes on. i guess one of the 17 year olds is turning 18 next month.

it takes a lot to make me mad but im getting to the point that i feel like going out there and hitting all of them. if its just 1 of them alone out there which is rare they dont have anything at all to say.

thanks for all the advice so far more is welcome. ill get everything thats said done because its been about 2 months like this and im tired of walking out my door and having to put up with this or coming home from work and having to worry if one of them is in my house.

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Assuming your story is correct and there isn't another "side" that we don't know about...
    i *think* thier side of the story is that they think i put a bunch of dents in one of thier cars. they came over and busted out the back window of my car then came back another night and popped one of my tires. when i try to ask them what the problem is they say come over here and fight(i would if i wouldnt be going to jail after but the one time they call the cops will be the time the cops actually do something). all i do is go to work for 10 hours a day and then come home and chill inside till its time to go to work again so i dont know how they came up with me denting thier car.

This in NOT going to end...you sound (according to your info) like you are dealing with some dirtbags...
    The video camera could be a real plus...but if I were in your situation, I'd be looking for a new place to live...quickly!

I would make a paper trail for everything that has already happened and start writing letters...

Stay armed...get your CCW, if you don't have one...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

This is a tough situation for you as they are your neighbors. Unfortunately if they have any brains at all they can easily learn your patterns from day to day. The first thing I would do is call the cops at every single incident from here on out. It amazes me that a cop would say you will go to jail if you complain again. I seriously doubt that would actually happen. May I suggest a couple 870's for the house? ;)

you should have heard me when the 2 cops sat there and told me that. i got real mad and my gf had to calm me down cause i was thinking why would i be going to jail?!?! its not my fault i have to keep calling them until they do something right haha

ive got 2 cameras setup right now both are security cameras one pointing at the cars in the driveway and one pointing at the front door and toward the opposite side of the house that the driveway is. 1 is black and white and not night vision and the one on the door is night vision/color. im going tomorrow to get 4 more for the rest of the house. ill just keep taking video and following the great advice i have gotten here. i just wish they would stop

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    I think they like to see you running scared...and the more you act that way, the more they press to test.

2) Amazing what video will do...pull out a camera...

Agree with RR...file a formal complaint. May not go anywhere, but it is now a public record in case things escalate. Might even file a restraining order...again, a piece of paper...but puts them on notice to be arrested (I think they love seeing you ping). Lastly, protect yourself by any means legal.

Rick
    I agree with Rick. They are enjoyng messing with you a little too much. I don't know the laws in Fla. but I'd get a gun ASAP, even if you have to put it on a credit card. If someone ran up and tried to open my door, I'm drawing, and and depending on their next move, I may be firing. If you don't have a fire arm, a 3/4 piece of water pipe about 3ft long from Home Depot used properly can send a message to the rest after you crack the first one. Just make sure you do it on your property. I think it is wrong that the cops won't do crap and because they are tired of being called out there will tell you that you will be going to jail to. I'd consult a lawer for legal guidance on the matter. Just remember if you do get a gun, if you pull it, be prepared to follow through.

Quote Originally Posted by derekxec View Post
    I have called the cops 5 times already and they came out 4 times and told me they couldnt do anything and the 5th time they told me if i called again everyone would be going to jail(myself included).
    If a cop told me I would go to jail for calling them about a bad situation, I would ask him to give me that in writing. Then I would take that to the police chief.

WoW! i'm sorry you have to live like this in your own country. As a photographer, my advice to you is invest some cash at the spy store and rig your house with cameras from angles pointing toward their property(seems like you have that). Make sure the vantage point is that you can see them coming onto your property from a distance. When they approach you press record with a digital recorder. Record their voice. Some phones allow you to record voice. By a spy cam that you wear on you showing your POV(poin of view). This equipment is not as expensive as you might think.
    Last edited by USA Pugilist; February 25th, 2008 at 12:37 AM. Reason: reword

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Links