What would you overlook? - Page 2

What would you overlook?

This is a discussion on What would you overlook? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Well, in my area the police emergency response time is extremely fast (usually within 2 minutes) so I'll make a call and let the boys ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Administrator
    Well, in my area the police emergency response time is extremely fast (usually within 2 minutes) so I'll make a call and let the boys in blue handle it.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Why would you want to involve yourself into a conflict which does not concern you?

What's with this whole "citizen's arrest" thing?

How good is your insurance?
    Are your shots up to date for Hepatitis or a host of other assorted fun diseases?
    Have you got the time to fill out the reports on your use of force (and make no mistake, the act of drawing a weapon and covering someone with it IS a use of force which must be justified...) and legal coverage in case you misjudge the situation and act inappropriately?

If the answers to those questions are not "My insurance is great, my shots are up to date, I am independently wealthy and have a lawyer on staff who is experienced in criminal law" then you don't need to be getting into other peoples business unless you absolutely have to.

Even if you do intervene, which in many case will be more of a verbal intervention using "THE VOICE OF COMMAND", a surefire light and maybe a handgun at low ready, and the thugs want to run away...

LET THEM GO.

You saved the day. You stopped the incident.

Who cares if they run off.

It is not your job to bring them into custody. Sure, the law may allow for you to do it, but do you really want that kind of trouble?

Do you want to be holding someone at gunpoint as a police car rolls up on you?

Maybe the cops are coming and the guy starts to realize he is on his 3rd strike and he is going in as a 3 time looser, so he has nothing to loose by killing you or making you kill him? You want that? Eh?

Citizens arrest...go ahead. I'll pass.

I don't think you will every meet someone (LEO) that will tell you a citizen arrest is a good idea. C.A. = trouble, the cemeteries are full of good intentions.
    If you don't know why the situation is the way it is don't get evolved, call 911 they have operators standing by. Everyone in these sit. have the same rights and ability to protect themselves as I do, if they don't care enough why should I.
    #1 call 911
    #2 you are out numbered with unknown weaponry at their disposal, who's more important to you your wife or his, just because he got hit doesn't justify deadly force.
    #3 call 911 maybe its your neighbor.
    #4 if its my family

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    If the thought of just being a good witness and summoning help bothers you get therapy after the fact.

Trust me, you will live. You may not live if you intercede in a situation where you don't know who all the players are. Sometimes, most often, things are not what they seem.
    nah, I will live... I have a great attorney, actually several of them...

I cannot however "afford therapy" chances are you cannot either, especially after idiots like "Cho" did their damage, and the Congress did their thing, I am a veteran and any "PTSD" will possibly negatively impact my right to firearms ownership...

my SA has been on high since 1979 - something to do with an acquaintances' body being delivered to an Embassy in three burlap sacks... and he wasn't involved nearly as deep as I was...

or maybe it was all of those guys who bailed out of the backs of three trucks at "post 13" on a "quiet road to nowhere" out in the jungles of Central America, I stood my ground then, and stand it today...

(I lost count at 20 BGs armed with AKs - I had a Sailor in dress whites, two Marines and me... Navy had an M-16, I put one Marine on a "Pig" and the senior Marine and I both had .45s...)

the OP asked "What would you do?" I answered - you may not like my answer, it may not work for you - doesn't have to.

It is my answer, I decided a long time ago what my response would be - it has and does serve me well... never said what or how I would intervene beyond initial response of calling 911, taking pictures and distracting the aggressor of the moment- anything beyond that moment depends a lot upon their response to my opener...

I don't run around looking for trouble, but I don't generally turn tail and run when I see it happening either... If the woman in situation one was my wife, daughter or mother - would I want someone to help, or just stand around and watch?

I think some folks have given up on any semblance of showing humanity to another, I have been a soldier, firefighter, paramedic, business owner, husband, father, son etc...

I still hold the door for ladies - maybe I'm just old fashioned

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post

I cannot however "afford therapy" chances are you cannot either, especially after idiots like "Cho" did their damage, and the Congress did their thing, I am a veteran and any "PTSD" will possibly negatively impact my right to firearms ownership...

my SA has been on high since 1979 - something to do with an acquaintances' body being delivered to an Embassy in three burlap sacks... and he wasn't involved nearly as deep as I was...

or maybe it was all of those guys who bailed out of the backs of three trucks at "post 13" on a "quiet road to nowhere" out in the jungles of Central America, I stood my ground then, and stand it today...

(I lost count at 20 BGs armed with AKs - I had a Sailor in dress whites, two Marines and me... Navy had an M-16, I put one Marine on a "Pig" and the senior Marine and I both had .45s...)

the OP asked "What would you do?" I answered - you may not like my answer, it may not work for you - doesn't have to.

It is my answer, I decided a long time ago what my response would be - it has and does serve me well... never said what or how I would intervene beyond initial response of calling 911, taking pictures and distracting the aggressor of the moment- anything beyond that moment depends a lot upon their response to my opener...

I don't run around looking for trouble, but I don't generally turn tail and run when I see it happening either... If the woman in situation one was my wife, daughter or mother - would I want someone to help, or just stand around and watch?

I think some folks have given up on any semblance of showing humanity to another, I have been a soldier, firefighter, paramedic, business owner, husband, father, son etc...

I still hold the door for ladies - maybe I'm just old fashioned

I too have decided what I will do. It doesn't mean that I'm a coward, it just means I have made my choices.

I've been involved in "Armed Encounters" twice, and the MMQ'ing and investigation sucks, let alone having to testify. In some ways, yes I have given up on society. I will treat you like I want to be treated, but I do not care about you or anyone else that is not a family member in the, "grand scheme of things". Your death, life, hopes, dreams, disappointments and whatnot matter not a whit to me.

I treat society like I treat the clerk at the Stop and Rob, cordial but don't really care.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post

Their is a lot of difference between a Virginia Tech situation and an argument between a few people outside a 7-11.

Equating the two if them is obfuscating the issue which is simply put "Try not to interfere in situations which are not clear to you."

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Their is a lot of difference between a Virginia Tech situation and an argument between a few people outside a 7-11.

Equating the two if them is obfuscating the issue which is simply put "Try not to interfere in situations which are not clear to you."
    not comparing the situations - but the legislative end result in many places has been more restrictive laws and a start down a slippery slope in who determines mental fitness to own a firearm

states have changed definitions as to what restricts ownership/possession, Congress has also added PTSD limits on us veterans who use the VA medical system - and the PTSD does not have to be service connected...

BikerRN - never intended to infer that you were a coward - just that our viewpoints are different - and that mine works for me and everyone else has to find what works for them

I apologize if you felt that I was in any way calling you a coward - I have been in plenty of situations and everyone responds differently

BikerRN - never intended to infer that you were a coward - just that our viewpoints are different - and that mine works for me and everyone else has to find what works for them

I apologize if you felt that I was in any way calling you a coward - I have been in plenty of situations and everyone responds differently
    No apology necessary, but thank you.

I really didn't figure you were calling me a coward, but I have been called that by some "keyboard commandos" in different forums. I'm not saying you are a "keyboard commando" either.

Yes, our viewpoints are different, maybe based upon our expiriences.

God I love this site,

No ruffled feathers or fight picking. Just mature discussion.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Lead Moderator
    Overlook? Nothing, step in at any cost or in any altercation , Nope. Best to decide on scene and react accordingly. I have gone from calling 911 to assisting in situations.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Amazing! that's all I can come up with!

1. Maybe it was the way I was raised but he would not hit her again if I could help it! I would let him know I called 911 and to not touch her again now he is focused on me and we will take it from there!
    "she may have just said no to a carjacking"

2. There is no way I'm letting 5 thugs attack a young couple and not help Yea the 1 punch might not be enough, but the following kicks to the head could kill him, and what would they do with her, the witness?

3. I will dial 911 on my way to my neighbors house, To the back door I just saw being opened, with my H&K at my side, If it was my neighbor or his son great, if the door is kicked in and there is the slightest chance she could be home I'm going in!! Yelling for her and prepared for whatever comes around the corner!!

4. Bg's run in packs and have no respect for the law, seems alot of gg run from trouble with the law!

5. I don't look for trouble but , there is no way I could turn my back on any of these scenarios.

6. I hope I never have to shoot anyone, If I have the upper hand and there willing to get down and I have the scene secure I will hold them for the "boy's in blue" if they drive up see me with a gun and open fire! Then it was my time

7. If getting involved in any of these get's me killed or prosucuted "then I tried to do what I thought was right" I will deal with the outcome. WITH MY HEAD HELD HIGH OR CARRIED NICELY DRESSED"

This was given to me years ago(I'm sure everyone has seen it)
    This changed the way I looked at me and, people in general.
    AMAZING!!

A Nation of Cowards
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    Why would you want to involve yourself into a conflict which does not concern you?

What's with this whole "citizen's arrest" thing?

How good is your insurance?
    Are your shots up to date for Hepatitis or a host of other assorted fun diseases?
    Have you got the time to fill out the reports on your use of force (and make no mistake, the act of drawing a weapon and covering someone with it IS a use of force which must be justified...) and legal coverage in case you misjudge the situation and act inappropriately?

If the answers to those questions are not "My insurance is great, my shots are up to date, I am independently wealthy and have a lawyer on staff who is experienced in criminal law" then you don't need to be getting into other peoples business unless you absolutely have to.

Even if you do intervene, which in many case will be more of a verbal intervention using "THE VOICE OF COMMAND", a surefire light and maybe a handgun at low ready, and the thugs want to run away...

LET THEM GO.

You saved the day. You stopped the incident.

Who cares if they run off.

It is not your job to bring them into custody. Sure, the law may allow for you to do it, but do you really want that kind of trouble?

Do you want to be holding someone at gunpoint as a police car rolls up on you?

Maybe the cops are coming and the guy starts to realize he is on his 3rd strike and he is going in as a 3 time looser, so he has nothing to loose by killing you or making you kill him? You want that? Eh?

Citizens arrest...go ahead. I'll pass.
    Read this you need it If it don't put you out and you can spare a minute for a stranger It's not your job to bring them to custody what if it's your sister at the next redlight what are you union I'm talking about....................just read
    A Nation of Cowards
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

A Nation Of Cowards

I've read it years ago. What I basically got from it was, why shouldn't people be responsible for their own safety?

What I'm saying is, if I take steps to ensure my safety and the safety of my family, why didn't those that are the victims of a violent crime do the same? What obligation or responsibility do I have to ensure their safety? In short, none.

We are each responsible for our safety, not the safety of others. Therefore, if you don't feel you need a firearm as one of your safety tools to prevent rape, assault, murder and what not, then so be it. If you choose wrong, that's on you. Remember, you are responsible for your own safety.

This is what I live by. Yes, I will get involved by being a good witness, but save your butt? Don't count on it. I will save my family's butt and my own, but that's it. Like I said before, what happens to you matters not a whit to me. If you were so foolish that you didn't prepare for victimization, you get what you get and I will not shed a tear for you.

This may seem cold, callous and cruel to some. I don't see it that way. I see it as someone that has taken steps to ensure their safety and actively encourages others to do the same. The life you save may very well be your own. If you didn't feel it was important, why should I shoulder that burden for you.

You made your own bed, so you will have to lie in it.

Biker

CD,
    This isn't a coward thing. I think I am one of the stronger proponents of, don't let the BG's take the streets, and that we have to fight back, but #2 is beyond extreme. 5 on 1 situation is not a place where I would interject myself in to the mix because I don't know that a gun and I can make the situation any better, and could have a high probability of making things worse. For your other situations, I hope you have all the information before you act. Going to 'clear' a neighbors house when you know the neighbor's own guns sounds a little far fetched for me based on the description that you gave. There might be circumstances that would cause me to enter a neighbors house and clear it to protect somebody, but I can't think of one.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Remember, in all of the scenarios in public, the person(s) that walks by and sees you with a gun, you are the guy with the gun when they call 911.

They came by even later than you did, and they obviously have less info about what is going on than you did when you got involved.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links