Wonder if this ploy could work!

This is a discussion on Wonder if this ploy could work! within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Chatting today with some folks at a shoot - we shot more s**t than lead LOL! The suggestion was made - thinking of distractive methods ...

Thread: Wonder if this ploy could work!

Assistant Administrator

Wonder if this ploy could work!

Chatting today with some folks at a shoot - we shot more s**t than lead LOL!

The suggestion was made - thinking of distractive methods if under theat at gunpoint - that for us ''old 'uns'' - we make loud noise, grasp chest with weak hand and make as if to drop with cardiac infarction.

Before reaching ground strong hand is drawing and we then ''do the business''. This was treated as a fun situation but I wonder - might it just make a BG so distracted as to give that edge of time to get things done?

I don't know but it made me think!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Might work would be something unexpected for sure

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    It might work pretty well. The shock value could quite possibly cause the perp to freeze up.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

I'm gonna have to quote Al Borland here:

"I don't think so, Tim."

Administrator

Might Also

Might Also shock him into an instant violent reaction...to your faux cardiac infarction (did that rhyme?) before the BG figures out what exactly is happening.
    The whole problem is that Bad Guys are individuals too and 5 different BGs could instantly react in 5 totally different ways.
    Some of these super BGs tell you not to move & you move they will instantly try to kill you ~ just because you moved.
    If some Perp already has the drop on you then whatever you do is going to be a gamble...it's a half dozen of one and 6 of the other.
    A lot depends on how quickly you can get to your defensive firearm.

That's like in PA during (Burrrr Cold) winter...some LTC folks carrying at/in the waist - or down in the pants under a longish heavy winter coat with a heavy flannel shirt...with gloves on...or haha...mittens.
    They probably might as well leave their defensive firearm at home. No Bag Guy is going to wait 2 or 3 minutes till you get ready to plug him.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

DC Founder
    I would be afraid of the natural inclination to break your fall when you dropped would make it even more difficult to distract him. I think it would be surprise enough to him to see an old phart draw a gun on him....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

1952 - 2006
    I don't really think I'd want to try this one. Too many variables. When I make a move on some dirt bag, I'm not going to do something that "I think" will work. If I do something, anything but comply, I'm going to be sure "I know" it will work.

I'm a private pilot and there is a quote that is attributed to Gen. Chuck Yeager. It goes, "When flying at the edge of the envelope, the difference in knowing what I can do, and thinking what I can do, is pulling it off or making a smoking hole in the ground."

Same, Same works here.
    Heroes are people who do what has to be done, when it has to be done, regardless of the consequences

"I like when the enemy shoots at me; then I know where the ******** are and can kill them."
    ~George Patton

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Assistant Administrator
    Bob - most succinctly put!
    Chris - P95

Chris I believe you could pull this off; carry a busted junk gun in your coat pocket weak side. Ask the bad guy if you could give him your gun as you don't want any accidents. His distraction looking at the fine busted gun may buy you just the time to present your super shooter. Now I believe you could pull it off because of your sincere look and willingness to help your fellow man.
    Beside you could practice your John Wayne swagger with your bike friends and say something like now look here Pilgrim.
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    If you're faking your heart attack stumble to the ground and the badguy realizes you're drawing for a weapon, he could tackle you the rest of the way down. It's just my opinion, but I'd avoid any ground fighting if possible and try not to do anything to put myself there. I don't know about you guys, but it wouldn't take much to pin my little 100lb. butt to the earth.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Assistant Administrator
    I was as I think you knew pretty ''tongue in cheek'' - but certainly I have given quite some thought to distractive ploys. I doubt I would try anything on like this for real but would expect to probably make a very loud shout or similar - anything to gain a fraction of extra time.

Richard, the busted gun might be a problem because just going for that initially could be enough to get popped!!
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    I always heard that back in the cowboys and"Native Americans" days the settlers would act "touched" in the head because the "Native Americans" would think that was bad medicine and leave them alone. Maybe you could do one of the routines from The Three Stooges. Hey, it worked for Mel Gibson in the opening scene of Lethal Weapon. If you do,I would ask that you make a video and put it on this forum so that we could critique it.----------
    Last edited by RSSZ; September 12th, 2005 at 03:55 PM.

Assistant Administrator
    If you do,I would ask that you make a video and put it on this forum so that we could critique it.----------
    But of course!!
    Chris - P95

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    P95, You know,thinking on it,I hate to underestimate them,or anybody,but,------ I don't think that the "average" BG is that smart. I've delt with a few and they seem to be for the most part the "duh" kinda folks. They drive vech's with the "NO FEAR" window/bumper stickers but if you scream at them,***** slap 'em,or otherwise scare them, they usually tear up,throw up,or give up. Now I understand that we have the hardcore "gangsta" type roving among us ready to do us harm. How do you tell the difference and why take a chance to try to figure that out while they have a gun or knife in your face. Good question. Just remember that a percentage of the people that would threaten us will back down when you(the GG) come on very,very,strong to them. I don't profess to know positively who will and who wont. And I realize that we will be betting our life on it. But----- I have my own set of guidelines that I go by. I teach the basics and tell the students what I would do. But I make sure to emphasize that they should make their own rules of engagement. This should be thought about long and hard. Each encounter will be different,but have some kind of general,easly adaptable, plan. Good luck to us all.-------

Links