Strange Thing Last Night - Page 2

Strange Thing Last Night

This is a discussion on Strange Thing Last Night within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You don't have out fight what you can out think. While other people play checkers CCW play chess....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    You don't have out fight what you can out think. While other people play checkers CCW play chess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    Implying......what?

That you would engage in VIOLENCE against the poor little innocent guy who was just trying to apologize for accidentally bumping into the mean old pistol-packing gun nut?

....because that's how it'll play in the media.

Look, either this WAS just an accident, or this was a VERY clever bad guy, who engineered his actions in such a way to appear completely innocent. Either way, I believe the original poster did the best thing possible - removed himself from the situation.
    Implying and understanding...that it's always going to be a 'quick call' on when and how to react. IF I'm touched, I will react quickly and loudly, not necessarily pulling a gun.
    I have had people try to get close to me in parking lots (probably just wanting handouts...) and they get a quick reaction from me that makes them unsure of what I might do...I'm not a friendly guy when I'm out and about.
    I've been called 'stone-face' before...or asked why I'm so serious (no smile for strangers)...I guess I just don't trust anyone.

I do agree with your point about the media, but they are always that way...always will be...if it bleeds, it leads. Hopefully, I won't be the 'bleeder' they're writing about.

Stay armed...use common sense, be cognizant...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Its a question of opportunity cost. What did leaving the scene cost you? A couple drinks... an hour or two with some freinds..

What COULD staying have cost you... your life, your girlfriends life.. or worse..
    The situation reminds me of something that happened in NYC a while ago - some martial arts pro was out with his girlfriend.. three thugs jumped them, killed him with a metal bar, raped her and eventually beat her to death.

If the cost is small and the risk is high, the decision is clear.

Even if people think you're paranoid...

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    IF I'm touched, I will react quickly and loudly, not necessarily pulling a gun.
    I have had people try to get close to me in parking lots (probably just wanting handouts...) and they get a quick reaction from me that makes them unsure of what I might do...I'm not a friendly guy when I'm out and about.
    I've been called 'stone-face' before...or asked why I'm so serious (no smile for strangers)...I guess I just don't trust anyone.
    I don't know anything about you. I suppose it's possible that you've seen an awful lot of violence, and/or that the area you live in has an extraordinarily high rate of violent crime. If that's the case, and I were there, I'd probably do every last little thing that was necessary to survive and win.

....and I'd MOVE at the earliest practical opportunity.

There's a fine line between assertiveness and aggressiveness. Sometimes, there's very definitely a NEED for aggressiveness. In MY experience, those occasions are relatively few and far between, and assertiveness has already failed at that point.

I am armed and aware not merely in order to SURVIVE, but to LIVE.

No offense intended, but how much of LIFE are you sacrificing in the interests of SURVIVAL? I find it highly desirable to be viewed as "unapproachable" by evil people......but not by ALL people.

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin132 View Post
    His fingers sort of curled up under my shirt...
    There is a difference from somebody bumping in to you, apoligizing and walking away, than with somebody who pats you again and has his fingers 'curl' up under your shirt around your gun.

I for one, don't think you were paranoid, and kudos on having the responsibility to take yourself out of the situation.

If your alarms are going off, you need to pay attention.

Either you are picking up something wrong, or you're alarms are out of calibration. In either situation, leaving is probably the best answer.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Good call. Too many survivors tell us how they had a bad feeling and didn't listen soon enough.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

VIP Member
    I think you handled it just fine. There's no way to ever know, but I'm real curious whether this was an "accidental bump" or a "street pat-down" by someone trying to be clever?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I am also going to be wondering that. I often hang out in this establishment so much that the owner knows our group by name. It just felt wierd, so it was time to pop smoke. You were right (whoever said it, I just read two pages of posts lol) when you said it cost me nothing to leave.

One just doesn't know anymore what people are thinking, planning, or want and while I am healthily paranoid, I do think that it is better to leave rather than stay when something feels wrong. I really believe in the sixth sense that tingles when things just aren't quite right - a officer I know says that it is your sub counciousness trying to remind you of something you are being blissfully unaware of and I think he may be right on the money there.

Looking back its rather funny, as everyone at our table saw the "old man" of the group just leave suddenly and not say goodnight to everyone and followed suit. I am actually amazed that they didn't think I was being paranoid at their age and experience, but it was rather amuzing talking about it yesterday.

Thanks again for all the thoughts in the posts. I wanted to share and to see what people thought, conduct an after action review if you will forgive me a Army phrase.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post

I am armed and aware not merely in order to SURVIVE, but to LIVE.

No offense intended, but how much of LIFE are you sacrificing in the interests of SURVIVAL? I find it highly desirable to be viewed as "unapproachable" by evil people......but not by ALL people.
    Very nicely put.

If you become so overly defensive/cautious that you cant enjoy life and other people don't occasionally 'enjoy' having you around, whats the point? You've pretty much become exactly the kind of recluse 'gun-nut' that CNN would like the world to believe we all are.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    No harm done by leaving. It may have been as innocent as the guy not paying attention and bumping into you. I wouldn't have left so quickly, I would have felt it out some more. The other two were probably looking your way because their friend was right there two. They probably had no idea what was going on, didn't know you and was watching their friends back too, the same as you would have done if you saw your friend talking with someone not familiar. Hey everyone went home safe and sound so no harm done.

Well played. Everyone lives. Nobody goes to jail or court.

A short night beats a beer bottle to the back of the head, and your gun stolen! 99% trust your gut!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Mmmmm...he would have had a REAL problem when his hands actually touched me...
    If someone grabs my weapon, a wrist lock to start with and any further resistance will be dealt with accordingly.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Smart move on your part to get out.
    One possibility I haven't seen mentioned is that you got made by an undercover officer. The bump and touch was just to verify that you were armed and then he confirmed it to the rest of his team. If they were in there working and one of them thought you were armed, they would want to verify that in case their operation went bad.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

mcp - that is a possibility that I considered after posting. It was awful "gawking" for officers though if you understand what I am trying to say. Still though, entirely possible.

Pretty sure it was 100% concealed the whole time though. It was just odd.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links