Shouting "I have a gun"

This is a discussion on Shouting "I have a gun" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by exactlymypoint Just watched a video on house clearing. The authors recommend that if you are in your house and you hear a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Shouting "I have a gun"

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    Just watched a video on house clearing. The authors recommend that if you are in your house and you hear a thump in the night to

1. Get your gun
    2. Get to your safe room
    3. Call 911 and keep them on the line
    4. Shout out "I have called the police and I have a gun. Leave now"
    5. Wait for police to arrive

(For the sake of this illustration, you are alone so there are no family members to be concerned about)

Do you think this is a good game plan?

PS After watching that video, I do not want to be in a position to have to clear a house. Very high risk.
    If I know people have entered the secure perimiter, ie, voices saying, Grab the loot," or some other identifier, I will do 1-5 in a heartbeat.

If however I hear a "bump in the night" and I don't know what it was, like maybe the cat knocking a vase off the Baby Grand, I will have to investigate.

Clearing anything SUCKS! The average homeowner is best served in my opinion by staying in a "Defensive Position" if they are positive that someone has invaded their home. As far as the couch fire, that's what the Fire Dept is for. As long as you are minimizing the amount of smoke coming in to your "safe room" you have some time.

You do of course have an exit out the back of your Safe Room too don't you?

Biker

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    4. Shout out "I have called the police and I have a gun. Leave now."
    Maybe after the sights are lined up CoM...

The rest of the advice seems pretty good.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    pax - interesting and thought provoking drill, but what did you really learn? That a person who knows your house intimately, who knows you are coming, who has four accomplices, and who plans on nothing other than ambushing and killing you will, in all likelihood, ambush and kill you? Well, I could have told you that much without the fun of hide and seek...

The point here is that home invaders, by and large, don't know your house, don't know where you are, what you are doing, or where and when you'll be coming (if you come at all), won't simply wait in a closet and see if someone comes along, don't have four other people stashed around the house in various hiding places, and so on. A SWAT team would suffer high casualties under the conditions you set forth for your game.

For the more likely scenarios - BG(s) unfamiliar with the house, not knowing who, when, or if anyone is coming, not hiding in ambush but looking for valuables/residents, and so on, clearing the house will be less difficult. Note that I didn't say NOT difficult, because it is still a dangerous scenario, but what you set up is a true worst case nightmare.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Senior Moderator
    OPFOR,

In your discription I would shoot any BG in my house that I came upon while clearing it. Which is what I would do, no warning, in the back, front or side, as soon as I saw him/her. I would not detain him/her I would shoot them and continue to move through the rest of the house. With just myself I do not have the luxury of detaining them, when more BG's might be elsewhere in the house.

This could look very bad to a DA, even though we have the Stand Your Ground Law in Alabama. In a situation where there is a complete breakdown of order (Ie post-Katrina N.O.) then this is acceptable. Otherwise I am bunkering down with my family and waiting for the calvary.

The Calvary just had better sing out before opening the door I am behind.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    If I didn't have a gun I might do that in hopes of calling their bluff but I wouldn't give away my position and element of surprise with being armed.

I agree with Rogers.. If you call 911 every time you hear a noise, the cops will not only charge you a nuisance fee; they will take their time answering your calls.

I personal like the element of surprise, and why should I give up the chance of seeing “that once in a lifetime look, of oh sh’t” on the BG’s face…

But truthfully, hollowing I have a gun and the police are on there way, is not a bad idea, and when I’m out of town, I think I’ll advise my wife to do that.

Thanks

I think the plan looks fine.
    I think we can safely assume a couple of points here. Most burglars understand that being there when the police arrive is bad for them. Getting shot to death by the home owner is probably worse. Burglary is a crime of stealth and opportunity. When you make that announcement they know that the stealth part isn't working out too well for them, and now their only opportunity is to escape.
    Home invasion is a completely different can of worms. That is anything but stealth. A home invasion (as defined by my old department) may involve stealth to get the door open, but then it is a full on assault usually by multiple armed attackers. In what we defined as a home invasion, if your weapon was not on your body as they came through the door you were pretty much toast.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

1 don't shout,make no noise
    2make sure target is enemy
    3 fire
    4 fire
    5 fire
    6 call police to come pick up dead body.sj

no noises for me and wait....if i have a chance to shoot maybe shoot then yell i have a gun! :)

I guess it really comes down to what are we looking to do. Do we wish the person to leave without bloodshed or do we want to shoot someone?
    Having dealt with officers with post traumatic stress issues after line of duty shootings, I know which I want.

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    I guess it really comes down to what are we looking to do. Do we wish the person to leave without bloodshed or do we want to shoot someone?
    Having dealt with officers with post traumatic stress issues after line of duty shootings, I know which I want.
    What it comes down to for me, is if somebody is going to get shot, I know I don't want it to be me. He had the chance to leave without bloodshed when he 1, got passed my dog. 2, forced a door or broke a window. 3, ignored the blaring alarm going off.
    Sorry, but baseball only gives 3 strikes, I'm not giving a warning. I might not go out looking for him, but if he starts towards my bedrooms, then he isn't giving me much of a choice.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    What it comes down to for me, is if somebody is going to get shot, I know I don't want it to be me. He had the chance to leave without bloodshed when he 1, got passed my dog. 2, forced a door or broke a window. 3, ignored the blaring alarm going off.
    Sorry, but baseball only gives 3 strikes, I'm not giving a warning. I might not go out looking for him, but if he starts towards my bedrooms, then he isn't giving me much of a choice.
    I definitely agree that given the specifics you mention shooting the bad guy is in order. However, the original post is about something going bump in the night, not someone killing the dog, smashing through windows and ignoring alarms.

Unfortunately, a steak would probably take care of the dog, but I'm assuming the OP didn't leave his door open with an invitation...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    +1 I like his idea
    Like Travis has stated. Unleash a God forbbiden hell upon the intuder. Don't give them the oppertunity to do harm to you or your loved ones!

1. Get your gun
    2. Get to your safe room
    3. Call 911 and keep them on the line
    4. Shout out "I have called the police and I have a gun. Leave now"
    5. Wait for police to arrive

For the sake of the demo I am alone in the house?

1 YES
    2 I am already in my safe room
    3 Not yet, until I confirm someone is actually in house, then its simply 911 and set the phone down away from me, (stupid phone lights can get you killed, something I never thought about before, but also giving away your possition is a bad thing, if you want to scare him off then shouting I called the cops may work)
    4 Refer to number 3, *I wont announce I have a firearm, If he has come into my house at night I am not going to determine if he is armed before I defend myself, I am going to assume he knew the laws of my state when he choose to enter my house, IF I LIVED IN A PINKO STATE THAT SAYS YOU HAVE TO PROVE YOUR LIFE WAS IN IMMINENT DANGER I may change to HIDING AND SCREAMING I HAVE AN AIRSTRIKE ON THE WAY. OR I COULD SAY HEY MY NEIGHBOR HAS DOPE IN HIS BATHROOM, GO STEAL HIS STUFF IM POOR ALL I GOT IS THIS SHOTGUN.
    The whole purpose of the phone call and then announcing you called and telling the perp you are armed is so that you have solid legal ground if you have to shoot, meaning the perp was warned but still came on. In my state telling the crook you are armed is an invitation to a FAIR gun fight. I dont go looking for gunfights, so I am not clearing my house if I know someone is in it AND I am alone.
    IF MY FAMILY IS HOME IT CHANGES THE EQUATION I am sweeping the house on my way to my daughters room while my wife bunkers down, hopefully she will be calling 911, From my blocking possition at the other end of the hallway I have preset lines of fire, that I will not cross, these have been thought out with several factors included, the main ones being where my family is Supposed to be, or could be. Secondary concern is backstops, for me my "blocking" possition is where I can make sure my daughters are safe(R) and I can still cover the entrance to the Bunker room. If the police show up they better show up with lights and sirens, if anyone else enters my lines of fire they are fair game, If somehow someone gets to the bunker room my wife is adequately armed, and has sufficient cover for most pistol rounds if she is covering her fields of fire.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links