Shouting "I have a gun"

This is a discussion on Shouting "I have a gun" within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Like Special Forces, hit fast, hit hard, and stealth is your friend. OPFOR makes some good points. If there is any situation where the criminal ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Shouting "I have a gun"

Like Special Forces, hit fast, hit hard, and stealth is your friend.

OPFOR makes some good points. If there is any situation where the criminal is waiting for you and knows where you are coming from etc. you are pretty much dead, SWAT teams and SF/SOG teams know this. That is why they wait or change the odds to their favor before entering. This is called guerrilla, Indian etc. style of fighting and is particularly effective as witnessed by our SF groups and snipers in Vietnam, as well as by the Vietcong. Just as our boys in Iraq can't stop 1 insurgent with a RPG, because they are probably a million windows on their patrol route, so neither can you stop one person waiting for you in a million places.

I have seen police and Sheriff SWAT teams clear buildings. I won't be talking about SWAT teams just regular police that will answer your call. Most of the time they don't use backup, its not available or will take too long!! I have seen a minimum of two officers clear a big building and the most was 4 officers, well five, but the fifth was a Sgt and was older, so I don't think he wanted to, he stayed outside and "commanded" things.

Realize they all won't get there at the same time and in a home intruder the first officer, it always depends, but generally will go in because you and your family is in danger. Some depts have rule like at least two, so that may apply. If they do wait and you die they can look foolish,(I don't know about accountable because the courts have ruled they are not responsible for your individual safety)

Asking some officers a few have said, they will go in alone if its an intruder call, just to reconnoiter, you can always back up etc. Most of them were older and from the midwest, the younger ones from the border states have said, no way in hell would they do in alone. So, its regional and personal. The anti-gun people don't realize the police are few and far between and far from being the gallant knights in armor that they think they are. I have seen the real world of police response time 20min in a city?? (a police substation is one mile a way, and another cities police station is another mile away, 911 goes out to both or so I am told, whoever is closer gets it). I was amazed at this level of co-op between cities but they said since homeland security they need to. Fire trucks are now like that to, instead of zones its GPS deployed, cool:)

Don't call 911 for a bump in the night, please, someone else may need it for a real emergency. There are so many causes of a bump in the night. If there is an intruder(s), he/they dicate the action. If he is almost to me and conflict can't be avoided, shoot if a serious threat (right on top of me) or shout and then see if he complies (for farther away sightings but unavoidable conflict) etc. If a breach has been noticed (and don't see intruder, or intruder doesn't notice you) go to safe room, call 911 etc. Don't give away you or position in this last scenario. Stuff isn't as important as you, hopefully that is what he wants. If its home invasion, shoot and shoot and shoot, they are using the tactics of speed and swiftness combined with some stealth to get you, but hopefully you have a gun near, preferably a shotgun and then a minigun:)

Here is the kicker, if a breach/invader has been discovered but you don't know where everyone is in the house, ie your allies (family members etc.) because that is the nature of kids etc they are hard to round up... then its clear and shoot anyone not your ally time, do it as stealthily as possible.

For 99.99% of the time a bump is heard, clear the house, it was probably your neighbor coming home drunk throwing a bottle of JD at the ground in an attempt to hide it from his wife that he had drunken most of its contents lol. Then if intruder is discovered, get away and safe room, if not and conflict is there shoot or shout whichever he dictates.

Clearing when there is a known intruder/seen or unseen, and you are not known is bad because there could be more, and startled criminals with guns shoot. (My friends dog found out the hard way) Get away, let the police take the dangerous job, they get paid for with our money. Clear only when unsure of noise and what happens happens, hopefully you practiced both with weapons, plans, and situations you are more prepared and come out alive, its not a guarantee, but its alot better than nothing.

Just hope you don't live in a border state (like me) where invasions are "popular" and then there are truly trained criminals that do it like the ms-13 a gang of ex-para military guys. That isn't even Chuck Norris' cup of tea, and that says something.

Later

2. Remove Ads

Mississippi has the castle doctrine...click, pow, rack slide and look for the next one.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

I have a plan. I'm not yelling out to give myself away for starters.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

The only reason to say anything before a fire fight is to make sure the BG is a BG.
    Hate to think I opened fire on a relative or family member.

But if I was sure everyone was accounted for...

There is no way in the heck I would think even for a moment to try to clear any place outside of my immediate space/safe room or the hall to my safe room (kids bedrooms which are connected).
    Why? Because it's very dangerous and flat out crazy to do so.

Leave my wife and kids alone behind a locked wooden door that can easily be kicked down or shot through while I go off alone one vs. ??? playing the odds of maybe getting the jump on one. No thanks.
    Dial 911, stay put, sit tight, be quiet, and wait for them and their dog to do the job of clearing rooms.

Also the clear the house alone plan does not work well if you live in a residence that is greater than say 700 sq. ft. or has multiple hallways or multiple rooms or has more than one floor including either a basement or stair accessible attic.

Good luck clearing these normal relatively average sized and average layout homes doing so alone, in the dark, with maybe a flashlight against at best case scenario just one adversary...

...Not even average police do well at this and generally won't try to do so without backup and if available a K9 or even SWAT.
    Clearing ones home is a good way to get killed. Escape, evade, or sit still quietly in one place and wait for 911...and live.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by born2die View Post
    personally i think that shouting 'I have a gun' would greatly add to your legal defense if you had to shoot the intruder anyway. Just something to think about if you live in a state without the castle doctrine.
    as me and my wife are alone, Im 100% positive your honor that I yelled "I have a gun" if you don't believe the dead guy, just ask my wife.

I'm not yelling out I got a gun,BG might yell back me too,then what,I have a 4 bdrm 1 story home I can cover all approaches and exits from the cover of my bedroom,anybody else in my house isn't there for tea, shotgun with buckshot will ruin a burglars night and any accomplices after first guy gets wasted will either pee themselves and start screaming i give up don't shoot please don't shoot,or try to run out of the house faster than i can track and pull trigger,if front door is closed it won't end very good for them either.I livein Texas the penalty here for burglary is arrest and prosecution if you're lucky,or death

Of course I wouldn't *want* to shoot another person, but in all the excitement if I came across a threat in my home, I'd probably get the order all confused...

-Grab defensive firearm
    -Orient toward, and confirm, threat
    -Achieve Metal-on-Meat sight picture
    -Bang!
    -BANG!BANG!BANG!... (Repeat as necessary until metal is no linger covering meat)
    -Asses to see if the preceding step is needed again
    -"Oh....by the way..I guess I have a gun..."
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
    - Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Quote Originally Posted by KenpoTex View Post
    why give away the element of surprise?
    "Here I am. Shoot at me over here. You hear?"

Actually, I say that jokingly because years ago I scared away intruders by merely chambering my pump shotgun -- a frighting sound, indeed. Also, it seemed more convincing than the mere announcement of having a gun, which the intruder may or may not believe.

the only reason for telling them you have a gun is so you can say I told you so in court, which will be recorded on 911 tape. Every little bit helps in court.

VIP Member
    I have a small house and a big dog... I kinda think the BG(s) will be paying attention to the dog first. If they hear another sound, it will probably be very loud and not my voice!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I don't plan on saying anything at all, much less shouting.

Austin

Everyone has different situations to deal with.

If you have a family (READ - other than your wife), your situation is complicated.

The size of your house, window size and placement, and entrance doors.

For me, I hear anything unusual I have no problem clearing the house. It is just me, the wife, 3 cats, 2 ferrets, and a burglar alarm in training. Our bedroom is the farthest point from the entrance doors, the ground floor windows are 5.5' off the ground (with the exception of the front windows - patio), and the basement windows are 13" tall and 5.5 feet from the floor.

The house is old and has telltale floors (READ - loud squeaky). The furniture layout is a maze, there is no straight line through the upstairs.

I know the quiet spots in the floor and stairs, I can move silently.

I wake up, grab gun and listen.

Next noise, I identify where and how big (pet or not), and proceed to bedroom door.

Continue to listen for noise/movement.

If I confirm by sound that there is someone in the house, I wake the wife, and she calls 911 and stays in the bedroom with her BE .40.

I move towards the defensive position closest to the source of noise and proceed with the necessary actions as required. I know the open areas of the house and am not going to get caught in the middle of one if the BG comes around a corner while I am in transit.

Anyone in my house at O dark 30 is not looking to borrow a cup of sugar, and I am not going to risk giving away my position by yelling at them if they should be armed and jumpy. Colorado Make My Day Law (Castle Doctrine) I am in fear of both my wife's and my life, period.

P.S. The dog had better be going nuts or she's fired.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links