What would your response be? - Page 2

What would your response be?

This is a discussion on What would your response be? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; here are some ideas: store your most reliable/favorite guns offsite , and retrieve them when the coast is clear. deny you've ever picked up a ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What would your response be?

here are some ideas:

store your most reliable/favorite guns offsite, and retrieve them when the coast is clear.

deny you've ever picked up a gun in your whole life.

yell "MOLON LABE!" from your window.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I am fortunate enough to live in a state that recently passed laws against gun confiscation during an emergency.

I am not turning in my guns. Even if they tried (doing it against the law), it would not be a pretty situation. I'd make sure it ended up on tape somehow so that people would be held responsible for the aftermath. Oh wait, nevermind. Ruby Ridge just came to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by glock27mark View Post
    1775 ad,yep. now a days people fear the goverment too much.
    Too much...or not enough?

nope, I guess you're right, the American police/military would never confiscate guns from law-abiding citizens *cough*Katrina*cough*
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

I only have one gun a old j fram taurus it has some rust on it and im not sure it works anymore as I have not used it in ten or so years but they can have it.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dan728 View Post
    I only have one gun a old j fram taurus it has some rust on it and im not sure it works anymore as I have not used it in ten or so years but they can have it.
    I only have one gun too, my muzzleloader!
    I would argue with them too about taking it, make it sound convencing.

I am not sure if SAR markings would be all that helpful, unless they marked "guns" in the hazards section. Here's a reference to the florida standards for SAR markings... I understand they're pretty uniform nation wide. Skip to Section 15-13 to see the markings.

http://www.floridadisaster.org/FOG/F...5%20111205.pdf
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Just to clarify my point. Assuming I was OK, like many people in Katrina, I would mark my house as searched and lay low. I'm thinking of urban camoflage.

I know that in some cases the looters got wise to these codes and used them. But I'm more afraid of a gun confiscation than a straight-up defense situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Gatorfarmer View Post
    The people that you'd be trying to form a militia against, and possibly shoot it out with, are going to be the police and possibly the Army. While in most circumstances it is probably no longer legal (in many jurisdictions) to confiscate weapons, I wouldn't think that the authorities would be in a mood to debate this. Nor do I think that the courts - once authority was restored - would be prone to show any leniency to an individual or individuals who fired on LEOs/military personnel during the performance of their duties in a disaster area.
    How do you know your even going to make it to restored order with out protection? Seriously how do you defend yourself against unjust and illegal acts by the authority in a time of civil unrest? Just because something may not be legal for them to do does not mean they wont try it. Or are we just supposed to take it hoping it will be sorted out in the end. I wonder how many people in Germany thought when gun confiscation came around that it would be a matter that would be overturned and they would get them back so they just gave them up because the authorities asked?

I am not advocating shooting any LEO or Military or comparing them to German authorities, but there has got to be a better answer then just hand them over or mark your house and hope they don't come searching.

What if they decide to enter your house just to check anyway then what? Where is the line drawn? How far does it go? What rights do I have as a citizen to resist a crime committed by LEO? Can they take things from my home and my only recourse is to take them to court afterward? Like the LEO that were looting the Walmart, what if that was your home. Can they mug me? How far are you willing to let a LEO cross the line before you stand up?

If I am caught in a place like NOLA during a time like Katrina I sure as heck don't want to be unarmed, hoping I might get my protection back after its all over. After its all over maybe too late.

Gave mine away, with the price of gas I could not afford the ammo. I think some executive from enron bought them from the guy I gave them to, he could afford the ammo
    Jack dog

HR Bill 5441 sec 557 specifically prohibits gun confiscation by federal authorities in time of emergency

(Sec. 557) Amends the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief and Emergency Assistance Act (Stafford Act) to prohibit any U.S. officer or employee, or person operating under color of federal law, under control of a federal official, or providing services to such person, while acting in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency, from: (1) seizing any firearm the possession of which is not prohibited under federal or state law, other than for forfeiture in compliance with federal law or as evidence in a criminal investigation; (2) requiring registration of any firearm for which registration is not required by federal or state law; (3) prohibiting possession of any firearm where such possession is not otherwise prohibited; or (4) prohibiting the carrying of a firearm by any person otherwise authorized to carry firearms, solely because such person is operating under the control of a federal agency in support of relief from a major disaster or emergency. Authorizes any individual aggrieved by a violation of this Act to seek relief by bringing an action for redress and by bringing a civil action in U.S. district court for return of a confiscated firearm.

Wow... HR 5441 was signed into law late last year. However, President Bush signed it with a so-called "Signing Statement" indicating that none of it is really binding if the president decides otherwise.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

There are three things that come to mind here.

1. Files upon files of gun registration and CC recipients. If you are on the list and you claim to have gotten rid of them, you are getting searched very thoroughly anyhow, and they will not be gentle or nice about it. If your house is marked as searched and it is still on the list, guess what...

2. Martial Law = No other laws are applicable. Welcome to a police state.

3. Past experience has taught the ruling powers to do things better. I cite the next Gulf Hurricane after Katrina that there was suddenly 20k+ national guard moved into an evacuated Texas area. Talk about a training exercise in civil control.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    There are three things that come to mind here.

1. Files upon files of gun registration and CC recipients. If you are on the list and you claim to have gotten rid of them, you are getting searched very thoroughly anyhow, and they will not be gentle or nice about it. If your house is marked as searched and it is still on the list, guess what...

2. Martial Law = No other laws are applicable. Welcome to a police state.

3. Past experience has taught the ruling powers to do things better. I cite the next Gulf Hurricane after Katrina that there was suddenly 20k+ national guard moved into an evacuated Texas area. Talk about a training exercise in civil control.
    I agree... For any of our rights to have any teeth, there should be laws passed that provide an affirmative defense for people who "commit a crime in defense of an enumerated right." In theory, that's what jury nullification is supposed to provide, but alas, it too has been crippled.

Like the above mentioned bill 5441... it's great that gun grabs like that are illegal, but what's the penalty if they violate it? Other than civil redress, I see nothing. Especially with the signing statement saying "it doesn't REALLY apply and is more of a guideline, anyway."

in a time of martial law, I would assume it would be up to decent citizens of this country to uphold the laws.

the real question is...are you willing to die for your beliefs? or in this case, your rights.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links