Stange behavior???? or paranoid

This is a discussion on Stange behavior???? or paranoid within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; OK, so I get off work last night and im sitting at the computer reading the forums, I see shadows outside my window, OK so ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stange behavior???? or paranoid

OK, so I get off work last night and im sitting at the computer reading the forums, I see shadows outside my window,

OK so the jokes can start now but I live in a mobile home/as my wife likes to call it a prebuilt home.
    Neighbor moved out next to us, (happens all the time because we are the only ones left who actually own our home, they rent out the other "houses") I see shadows approaching and I'm basically in condition half white/yellow, because my first thought was its the neighbors.

Then I see two young (mid 20's) guys walking back between that house and my house, and my spidey sense goes off, the neighbors moved, aint no reason for anyone to be there at 2 am in the morning. I walk outside to check my property, mainly my daughters room window, no one around no noise, OK where did these guys go???? There is a 20 acre field behind my house I guess they went back there??? Why? OK I made sure my house was not in danger but I screwed up I should have woke my wife up first, I check the back of the house the front nothing?????

Come back in and my gut feeling is something is still wrong so i shake my wife and tell her there are prowlers or teen punks or something wrong not sure what the deal is. Call 911 tell them there are kids out at 2 am behind my house/neighbors house. I live out in the boondocks response time 20-40 minutes unless shots are fired, funny cause the sheriffs jail/office is 2 miles away. So I got my wife up checked the girls room, now I'm wondering what these guys are up to, I should not have gone outside but I did, wanted to make sure they knew someone was here if they were up to no good.

20-25 minutes later I am outside smoking and they come back through the space between my house and the abandoned neighbors house. Carrying boxes, they pass within 20 feet of me, I ask them what is going on, they tell me they had some stuff they left there. (not saying where there was) I say well its an awfully strange time of the night to be moving isn't it?

The guy asks me if I smoke pot, I didn't really want a confrontation just wanted to know what they were doing at 2 am moving boxes from an undisclosed area at 2 am, I say "why would you ask me that" he says I live right over there and points across the way, I don't really know the neighbors because they change all the time but his story didn't add up, so I say "whats your name" he says Chris, and I ask where do you live? he gets the look on his face like he may try something, I back up a little and say "if you live over there why would you be moving boxes from back there?" He says We just left some stuff over there and came to pick it up. In the mean time his buddy went down the street to a truck and started putting in the boxes.

The guy asks me if I am going to be home in the morning, I said I was going to vote but I would be home because it was obvious to me he knew where I lived, but I didn't want him knowing when I go to work etc. He starts to act like he is going to walk in the direction he told me he lived, but then turns and goes to the truck, I walk over and get the plate number, he walks to the back of the truck and stands in front of the plates, I say the plate number out loud, just to make sure he knew I knew the plate number.

Then he asks me to wait there he would be right back, I was not real happy with his comment but figured If I could stall him a few minutes the sheriff may get there, so I say I'm not going any where, he loads the stuff into his truck and starts to leave, stops in front of my driveway and says again, "Don't go anywhere I will be back in a few minutes" As soon as he left I loaded up my shotgun, am I paranoid????? I took my pistol out with me but something about the way he said "I will be right back" seemed like a threat to me.

Anyway about 4 minutes later the sheriffs pull up, 1 car then 3 minutes later a second car I had gone straight inside and wrote the number down and told my wife to do the same on the plate before they sheriffs got there, I tell them what happened they walked the house next to me, no obvious signs of break in. Now i am thinking 20 minutes passed between when I first saw them and the second time I saw them, the place they parked was out of the way, I am thinking they robbed the place across the field from me, but who knows, 20 minutes? and in boxes? One other thing that set off my spidey senses is that they guy who tells me he lived right over there says "Donna is the manager" well Donna hasn't been the manager for 2 months.

Why wouldn't you park as close to the place you are getting boxes from to start with? I don't know but I think I am going to go to the sheriffs office in the morning and ask to talk to a robbery detective, see if anything in the neighborhood was hit last night or a few nights before. So am I paranoid or is that strange to you folks as well?
    Last edited by JD; March 4th, 2008 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Spaced out text

They would have answered questions from the other end of my 12 ga. to start!! They stashed there boxes of pot behind your house. They were going to cut you in!! Did the S.D. run the plates as soon as they got there? That's what i would have wanted to know? @ 2am, on your property with no other houses around..hmmm I don't know that I would have been as polite!! I may have asked (or told them ) we are waiting on the S.O. !!!
    It's Texas!! They would have w8ted !!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I didnt have any grounds to hold them there, but the guys response to me getting his plates made me feel like a confrontation was imminent, I Would just as soon avoid a gunfight if I can, and detaining suspicious teenagers may seem like a good idea to some but I myself dont like being in jail, There was no imminent threat but I sure felt threatened when they stopped in front of my house and said dont go anywhere. I am pretty sure I am going to stop by the sheriffs tomorrow its on the way to the polls anyway and I need to vote. Just hope my house does not get robbed while I am at the polls/sheriffs office. (kick myself for even saying that, just didnt want to tell them what time i work etc)

It would spook me! I would want to know who they are at least. They know where you live!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Definitely not right!

VIP Member
    I don't think you were paranoid at all. Definitely something wrong with their behavior. Burglary detectives should be very interested in the info you got.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Not paranoid at all. Something bad was going on.

Also, please use the 'enter' button in the future. Trying to read those super paragraphs gets hard on the eyes.

+1 on the boxes of pot...and +1 on the fact that they were going to give you something to look the other way...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Not paranoid. Nothing there is even remotely normal. I'd have been, and would continue to be concerned.

These guys were not smart at all.

First off the suggestion of pot, was stupid, now they let you know what they were doing!! They were trying to cut you in. Boxes were either pot, stolen merch, cash, or anything related to pot production.

Detectives should be very interested. Hope you have a dog and an alarm. The point that he will be back was a threat. IMHO You couldn't have done anything different, you had a right to confront, but even if you didnt and stayed in house, your wife could have stumbled on them etc. They were stupid to do it where they did but they did it. They know where you live and can stake it out etc, they now have lots of info and have the element of surprise and the ball is in their hands. They know you know about them, adn they know you know their plate. You are now a threat to them/ their operation. You are in a very bad position, its unfortunate because you didn't want this they started it. I would have done the same things.

The best thing is they are scared and don't come back, it could happen. The other thing is they ditch their vehicle and walk away, that is what smart pro drug runners would do, but they have more $$ to spend and lose and thus don't want the police after them and so can walk away. Teens growing etc. don't this is their only thing so they could become desperate.
    2nd thing/option is they will come and rob you.

3rd thing/option is you know too much and an armed home invasion or similar attempt to silence you will occur, note silence not kill. Often times they want to intimidate. This could happen going to your car, in your car, getting the paper. When your wife is home alone, intimidating her. People are capable of violence in this world, teens can be particularly cruel. Stay smart, stay safe. Get the police involved to put pressure on them.

Whats worse is these guys are stupid, they will do stupid things, and that is when people get killed. They don't think things through (obviously but also because they are teens and immature). Arson to your car or house is also a possibility. I've actually had that happen to a friend, teens tried to burn down his house over a much, much lesser offense to them!

I am surprised the Sheriff's office didn't do much (or you didn't say that they did). If it were in my town, which is a big suburb, I have known the police (they come out alot for calls alarms etc.) they would have definately run the plates, taken a statement, and with the information you got, I would expect a call from a narcotics detective in the morning. After some nights I've even been treated to at 7:00am the forensics team with uniforms searching for evidence etc! That surprised me, usually it takes forever for a forensics unit to come out. Every town is different and if there was a lack of interest from sheriff's dept. something is wrong.

This wasn't normal teens drinking beer in your field. They either robbed someone or had pot. This needs to be taken care of now, by the police. Until you know they are gone for good, they will be in the back of your mind. If you don't have an alarm at least get signs saying you have one. Beg ACT or another company for their signs right away, because installation takes time, I am sure they will give you them if you are buying their product. Signs will stop 90% or normal criminals, these guys are stupid so you never know. A dog is always great, especially when you are alone or your wife is.

I would with friends and armed take a hike back were they were (in daylight at noonish) Don't go in if they are there, there could also be booby traps, but at least find the pot or the police may do this too. But knowing police they probably wouldn't look for too long. If I did find it and I could throw a firebomb in, I would. Send them a message, $$ hurts. Most smart drug guys wouldn't be back because they would know the police could be watching, and you are obviously an active homeowner. Teens are stupid what can I say.

This is a scary situation, you are not paranoid. Coming from a border state, I am more wary of this, I have stumbled on drug running out in the country more than once, I am lucky to have survived. I didn't create contact and got out. If you do hike/camp/hunt/fish or even drive in the backcountry or sometimes even in the city please be armed. Out in the country a rifle will/should be needed as well as pistol. Thanks! You will help to make mine and other states safer buy not becoming victims.

Don't be too scared, just act smart, plan things, and stay armed. I am thinking they will go away due to now police are involved, but the threat was made to intimidate and teens like men can do awful things.

Later,
    Paul

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerbouchard View Post
    +1 on the boxes of pot...and +1 on the fact that they were going to give you something to look the other way...
    +2 I think you had every reason to be concerned. I would keep a close eye out and do some scouting of my own to see where they had the boxes stashed.

Good job, now it's time to "Harden Your Perimeter" and make sure the wife can shoot if she needs to.

This is one of the reasons I don't like to confront people that know where I live. Other posters have brought up the subject and I don't think I need to "dwell on it."

Biker

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    One possible explanation that pops into my mind is that they were former tenants that moved or were evicted. They left some “stuff”, possibly pot, and decided to sneak in and get it back. The place probably didn’t look broken into because they kept a key. Some landlords don’t bother to change the locks when a tenant moves out. (Keep that in mind if you ever move into rental property.) They were doing it at 2:00 am because they wanted to avoid running into the landlord and/or the items they were retrieving were illegal. At least that is one explanation that pops into my mind. I could be wrong.

IMHO, you handled things pretty well. You’re not paranoid. You saw a suspicious situation and you got involved. Doing so may have put you in harm’s way, which is something many of us would prefer not to do. I do believe they either wanted to buy your silence with some pot or sell you some pot. One thing that I would do different would be to never let anyone know when I will be away from home. Tell them you work from home are always there.

You might also contact the property manager and tell them what happened. They may be able to shed some light on the situation. Tell them about the pot comment and let them know you don’t appreciate them renting to drug dealers.

Contacted manager first thing today, house was definately clear nothing inside so it was not my next door they got the boxes from. spent 3 hours at the sheriffs office trying to get my statement taken, to some this would be a waste of time, my experience is it is better to document everything. Hopefully the situation just blows over and I dont see these thugs again.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Southtexas View Post
    Contacted manager first thing today, house was definately clear nothing inside so it was not my next door they got the boxes from. spent 3 hours at the sheriffs office trying to get my statement taken, to some this would be a waste of time, my experience is it is better to document everything. Hopefully the situation just blows over and I dont see these thugs again.
    Not a waste of time in my book. Get the paper trail started just in case things heat up again. I'd keep their plate # handy in case they come back. Next time, I would not suggest confronting them. Stay armed at all times. Remember that in Texas, if you don't have your CHL, you can open carry on your property. (Texas 46.02)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links