Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

This is a discussion on Shooting to Defend Your Dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Let's twist the scenario a little bit. I'm walking my dog and a bigger dog attacks my dog. At this point CA Law would not ...

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

Let's twist the scenario a little bit. I'm walking my dog and a bigger dog attacks my dog. At this point CA Law would not allow me to shoot the dog within City Limits, so I try to beat the dog off of my dog and now the dog is fighting me and this in and of itself now presents a self defense situation. Now according to CA Law I can discharge my gun to defend myself.

See where this is going.........
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    dang,

Check into this for your dog walking carry...

Cabela's -- Kimber LifeAct Self-Defense Spray

Works on 2 and 4 legged attackers as well.

- Janq
    Thanks. I'm rather embarrassed to say that option never occurred to me. I knew I kept hanging around this forum for some reason...
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I would watch them fight for a minute( I would like to see what he could do)
    that's awful.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSamurai View Post
    that's awful.
    Exactly my dog is a pet and I would not want to see her get injured to see if she could hold her own

Administrator
    Remember that we are leaving the OC and Taser out of this scenario.
    That being said I carry a Fox Labs OC any time I am out with my dog because my dog is not a fighter.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by mslaughtertx View Post
    I would shoot the other dog. If he attacks my dog then I would argue that he will attack me. However, my dog is a member of my family they are not property. The castle doctrine has certain points that allow a Texan to protect their person and property.
    Florida too, and my dogs are family members.

And we never take our dogs out of our yard off lead.

I had a neighbor’s dog attack mine in our own front yard. I ran over and kicked the neighbors dog in the ribs. Bull dog ran off. Owner, a good friend was so up set with his dog getting out of the back yard and doing that, he took it to the pound.

Ron
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    It looks like I'd be OK in Florida if I shot to protect my dog:

This view seems to be supported by Jon Gutmacher on p. 238 of Florida Firearms.

Matt
    Thanks, Matt. That is very helpful. Our two small dogs are members of our family. It is nice to know that I can protect them, if necessary.

Ron
    "It does not do to leave a dragon out of your calculations, if you live near him."

J. R. R. Tolkien

Timely posting of this question, as it has been on my mind lately. I looked up the law in NH, and this is what it says:

[B]466:28 Killing Dogs Legalized. – Any person may kill a dog that suddenly assaults the person while such person is peaceably walking or riding without the enclosure of its owner or keeper; and any person may kill a dog that is found out of the enclosure or immediate care of its owner or keeper worrying, wounding, or killing sheep, lambs, fowl, or other domestic animals. /B]
    A little vague, (surprise). I consider my dog another "domestic animal", so therefore, it sounds like I could shoot an attacking dog if it were only a threat to my dog at the time. Though I'd like a clarification of what they consider "immediate care of its owner or keeper"? If the owner/keeper is there, but the dog is out of control and not responding to his/her commands, is that out the owner's immediate care?

Anyway, I like the spray idea. I think I'll look into getting some of that. I'd hate to shoot any dog.

And also, it is not out of the ordinary for your dog to be treated like a member of the family- like a kid. I think its more odd when they're not.

I have a toy poodle,when I take him out he is always on a leash,if any animal comes at me or him that animal is dead as I carry 24/7 at home or not.I also live out in the country and we do have cyotes(sp) here.My next door neighbor lost his dog to one last year and I was out front one night las december and there were two out by my mailbox.sj

Country/farming policy: SSS (Shoot, Shovel Shut-up)
    H@H

If my family was with me, I would. But alone...I can kill a dog with my hands, so I would just do it that way.

I grew up in a Vet Clinic, so I have a lot of experience with mean dogs. And to put it plainly, I am not afraid of any dog I have ever seen. When I was 13 years old, and I was a scrawny little kid, I was attacked by 2 Doberman's at the same time (trained attack dogs), and within about 30 to 40 seconds both dogs were dead and I only had a few scratches.

Dogs, no problem. But TV attacks...that's a whole other story!
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    Exactly my dog is a pet and I would not want to see her get injured to see if she could hold her own
    yup... i just keep thinking about that statement that guy made. my animals are just as much family as my 'actual' family. to me, doing something like that would be like letting a son/daughter get into a knife fight (potential damage could be like the teeth of a dog). one bite could kill a dog, not something i ever want to witness to my furry family members.

If it's a small dog, scoop it up in your off hand. If the dog keeps coming, it's now attacking YOU.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSamurai View Post
    yup... i just keep thinking about that statement that guy made. my animals are just as much family as my 'actual' family. to me, doing something like that would be like letting a son/daughter get into a knife fight (potential damage could be like the teeth of a dog). one bite could kill a dog, not something i ever want to witness to my furry family members.
    My dog is my best friend but a little or semi big scrap I would like to see how he holds his own, I'm a mile from my vet I have seen enough dog fights to know when to shoot. Sometimes you have to fight!!! This is who I leave with my wife when i"m away,I won't him to know attacks. He's 100lbs so if something comes up that scares me or him it will be shot before it get's that close. If a lab runs up and attacks him I'm not going to shoot it, if a couple of bites from mine will send it back to it's home.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

An aggressive dog attacking my dog will be considered a personal threat to me also...
    I'm not afraid of large aggressive dogs...my own voice and body language with some added OC spray should cause a retreat on the part of the oncoming caninie. If not, well then we'll have to take it a step higher...
    I'm not letting my Rhodesian down in a fight...he'd do the same for me.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Links