Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

This is a discussion on Shooting to Defend Your Dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Folks, let's discuss the topic, and dispense with the personal attacks. Thanks in advance. Matt...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

Senior Moderator
    Folks, let's discuss the topic, and dispense with the personal attacks.

Thanks in advance.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    "The bad dog was trying to attack me. Only through the efforts of my dog was I allowed the time required to draw my firearm and save myself from a terrible mauling."
    I'm liking this one...
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Been out in the woods when my 70lb lab was getting grief from what must have been a 150lb dog. one round of 45ACP and the big dog wussed out and ran off, good enough for me.

One round in the dirt or dog?
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

About 25 years ago, the friend who taught me reloading had this little mutt dog. Nothing special about it, but it was his constant companion. Where he went, the dog went. He had some riff-raff neighbors who had this dog that I'm guessing was mostly Chow. Vicious thing that would run at and attack my friends little dog each time they went outside. He called the police multiple times, but the dog was always back home by the time they arrived, so nothing was ever done. One time as he and his mutt were heading to his truck for a trip to the shooting range, this Chow comes running again. My friend pulled a pistol and killed the dog on the spot and then called the police. Police show up and issue him a citation for discharging a firearm inside the city limits and tell the riff-raff neighbors to get rid of the carcass. From that day forward, my friend always referred to that citation as the best $25.00 he ever spent.

I have always gotten along with all of the neighbors in my area. A couple of years ago, one of my neighbors had someone visiting for a few days over the holidays. These visitors had two large dogs (Akitas, I believe) that for some reason, even though in a strange area, they thought would hang around outside the house even though not on a leash. My wife had let our little Rat Terrier outside to do his morning business and we both suddenly hear a horrendous howl on our back porch. We run outside and both of these dogs were attacking our dog right there on our porch. A few swift kicks and they ran off but I put a pistol in my pocket (these dogs were still running loose) and walk over to the neighbors house. I politely told them what had happened and that although I wanted no hard feelings, if those dogs showed up in my yard again, they wouldn't be coming home. They understood and tied up the dogs. Luckily, our little dog only sustained minor injuries so got the bleeding stopped and applied antibiotics and he was fine. Ordinance or not against discharging a firearm in the city limits, had those dogs returned, they would have remained there.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    My dog is my best friend but a little or semi big scrap I would like to see how he holds his own.
    That is a poor socialization practice. If you do not correct the behavior immediately the dog will recognize your acceptance and the next time that he is around another dog, he may be the one to bite first. If he ever happens to get off-leash and bites first, he may be the one that gets shot.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    i wouldn't shoot it. A human is much bigger than a dog and simply punting it square in the face/ribs/legs should do enough damage to change its mind, and if it didn't I would deploy my knife. I know you don't want these options in the equation, but thats like taking gravity out of physics problems. I think the police/whoever is gonna decide how much trouble you are in would be a bit more leanient with a stabbing/punting than a shooting. I'd def call the 5-0 aftewards tho. Bottom line I was attacked by a stray dog when I was in fourth grade I killed it. With a rock and my fists and my feet. A grown man should be able to deter it from killing his dog. I cornored it on accident (was walking my normal route home) and he got scarred and started attacking. Rabies shots hurt.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I've researched this in the past for where I live. My local ordinances allow me to use force to defend my property and other people from dangerous animals. Under VA law, my dog is my property....and there are dogs in my area deemed dangerous (as demonstrated by my son's 32 stitches)--so, where I live, yes, I can shoot to defend my dog. Whether I do or not, is situation dependent.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    I've researched this in the past for where I live. My local ordinances allow me to use force to defend my property and other people from dangerous animals. Under VA law, my dog is my property....and there are dogs in my area deemed dangerous (as demonstrated by my son's 32 stitches)--so, where I live, yes, I can shoot to defend my dog. Whether I do or not, is situation dependent.
    Where do you live in VA that you can shoot to defend property? Never heard of that being the law anywhere in this state. Pre-emption means they can't have a law tougher than the state law, but that wouldn't apply to your city or county. I may want to live there, because I thought Texas was my only option to this point.

Where I am in VA I can't shoot to defend property, and as noted a dog is property under the law. However, it would depend on the situation. Probably just kill the attacking dog by hand or with a knife and save the bullet.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

If my dog is attacked I would try to break up the fight and I KNOW that if I tried to intervine in the attack, the attacking dog would turn on me
    Draw you own conclusions.

I guess it would depend on the dog and how many of them. If it was only one dog and not a pit I'd probably just dive in with the Ka-bar and rip him to pieces. If it was a pit I'd shoot it asap. No cop would question it...a loose pit is a big If it were a couple of any other dogs I'd try a warning shot and see what happened...if they ran, I'd exit stage left...I don't see a need to alert the popo with such a trivial matter. They've got better things to do.

p.s. We're talking about a 380, not a 357.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    If I were attacked my dog would fight for me. I'll do no less for him.

OK... first post. I have a well-behaved half Springer Spaniel/half Pit Bull (hyper with an attitude!) that WADED thru a pack of hunting dogs (Black & Tans) that made the mistake of interrupting his feeding time. He's not much in the way of size, smaller than a Lab, but the only concern I had was having to dig such a large hole for the pack!
    So I guess it depends on the type of dog we're talking about. Lap dogs, pick them up and go on the offensive. With Buster, it's best just to stay clear 'til he's done his job.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryD View Post
    If my family was with me, I would. But alone...I can kill a dog with my hands, so I would just do it that way.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by Lensgrinder View Post
    OK... first post. I have a well-behaved half Springer Spaniel/half Pit Bull (hyper with an attitude!) that WADED thru a pack of hunting dogs (Black & Tans) that made the mistake of interrupting his feeding time. He's not much in the way of size, smaller than a Lab, but the only concern I had was having to dig such a large hole for the pack!
    So I guess it depends on the type of dog we're talking about. Lap dogs, pick them up and go on the offensive. With Buster, it's best just to stay clear 'til he's done his job.
    Not all dogs need alot of help, I know what my dog means to me. If a few punches get thrown and that's it, he took care of it, I would not shoot someone's dog for being a dog!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links