Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

This is a discussion on Shooting to Defend Your Dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; You guys have a lot more faith in your fighting abilities than I do in mine. There are a lot of 4 legged critters I ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

You guys have a lot more faith in your fighting abilities than I do in mine. There are a lot of 4 legged critters I wouldn't even thinking about trying to 'stab' or 'fight' or anything else. With a possibility of rabies or any other diseases, if I have to intervene to save my dog(120 lb lab/something mix), then I would be much more likely to use my gun than my foot. I've seen some pretty mean pit bulls, that I don't think I could take in a fight.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

2. Remove Ads

If you re-frame the question: "Some guy attacks your dog with a knife, would you protect your dog?" I think most people wouldn't hesitate to act. Am I wrong?

As for me... I would protect my dog. My family would expect it of me. No apologies and chips fall where they may. I doubt such a case would make it to a jury. It'd be interesting to see if it ever has.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

I guess my response would depend on the attacking dog. I've spent A LOT of time hanging out at the dog park. I have a lot of experience breaking up dog fights. If I thought I could handle the attacking dog, I would probably jump on him myself. If however, it was a dog that has me intimidated too, I think I would have to open fire. Once he was no longer a threat, I would call the police to report the incident. I tell them that I was charged by a vicious dog and my dog came to my defense. And that gave me enough time to pull my gun and fire. My dog is family.

Quote Originally Posted by dang.45 View Post
    That exact scenario happened to me in mid-December last year. I was completely unprepared for it...

And by the way, my dog is fine - he wasn't hurt at all. I injured my knee fending off the other dog (who pretty much ignored me, thankfully), and the attacking dog's owner pretty much told me to go pound sand when I tried to get him to pay for a trip to the doctor for me to check out my knee. I guess I'll be paying for an exam myself when I have the financial resources to do so (and possible surgery - my knee is still not in good shape), but I'd do it again to protect my dog!
    check the laws in your state - some states - like Ohio are "strict liability" states when it comes to dogs and this may include dog bites as well as other injuries caused by the animal - and in any case their failure to contain and control theirs - may make them liable for your injuries whether they want you to go play ion a sandbox or not...

IANAL and for legal advice I would contact one to see what the laws in your location are...

Quote Originally Posted by MR D View Post
    check the laws in your state - some states - like Ohio are "strict liability" states when it comes to dogs and this may include dog bites as well as other injuries caused by the animal - and in any case their failure to contain and control theirs - may make them liable for your injuries whether they want you to go play ion a sandbox or not...

IANAL and for legal advice I would contact one to see what the laws in your location are...
    There is a 3-year statute of limitations on personal injury cases. I will definitely be getting it checked out some time soon, once I can get the $ together. If it's going to cost me more than a few hundred dollars, you can bet I'll be doing what I can to get some reimbursement.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    If an aggressive dog were to come after one of my dogs, my dogs would probably run for me, in which case, the aggresive dog would be coming after me, and in self defense I would be forced to give the little sucker a case of lead poisoning.

If the boot didn't work.Then it would be a three way free for all.

ive been through something like this a few years ago. i was out walkin my dog(britney span- bird dog) and a rot came over a fence and attacked my dog. i went to beat it off with my fists and got bit. rather than pull my glock i whipped out my sog. grabbed it between the ears on top of the head and slit its throat. i got 15 stitches and my dog never fully recovered. i caught all sorts of hell from the cops for it but nothing major. the ownere of the dead dog came running out and called the cops on me. shoved me called me a P.O.S and i cracked him in the mouth.
    after getting cleaned up and asked a million questions from the leo's i went to the hospitol to get stitches.

if i could do it all over again i would have killed it sooner. i dont want to take a chance of shooting my dog so the glock stays on my side.
    anyone that has seen a dog fight knows they are moving really fast.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

Quote Originally Posted by uakaos View Post
    i got 15 stitches and my dog never fully recovered. i caught all sorts of hell from the cops for it but nothing major.
    Sorry to hear about your Brit.. That's what I have. Wonderful dogs, nicest pups in the world.

What kind of grief did the cops give you? You needed 15 stitches and they condemned you for what you did? Surprising.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

they took my knife, lable me as the bad guy that killed a nice mans dog then punched him for no reason. they use any excuse they can to pull me over, ask what im doing in certain neiborhoods. just general harassment. all the time. was told over and over that i took it to the extreme by doing what i did. that was a few years ago and i dont regret a thing. didn't lose any sleep over it either. and once i had my lawyer with me when they came to bug me in my front yard( he was there for a BBQ), he ripped them a new one. i havent been pulled over or bugged again.
    "An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."

if you can shoot someone to protect a tv you can shoot someone to protect a dog. Consult local laws

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Sorry to hear about your Brit.. That's what I have. Wonderful dogs, nicest pups in the world.

What kind of grief did the cops give you? You needed 15 stitches and they condemned you for what you did? Surprising.
    I wish it was surprising...
    "Nice grips, weird choice of etching" Rocky

VIP Member
    I'm thinking the way I might articulate this is if I had to (and I would) shoot a dog that was attacking mine is; "I was in fear for MY life so I shot to stop the vicious attacking dog".

But as suggested, I need to start carrying some OC.
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Haven't had a chance to read the threadd but it seems to me if you can soot a mope who tries to take your cash you should be able to shoot a furry mope who's trying to kill your mutt.

As long as you can, of course, demonstrate ''Ability, opportunity and intent" to do grave bodily harm or kill your pooch.

I've owned and loved several dogs and cats BUT 'member of my family'?
    Old testament....Shooting to Live 1942
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...ng_to_live.pdf
    Newer testament... Kill or Get Killed 1976/1987
    http://www.gutterfighting.org/files/...Get_Killed.pdf

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by riverkeeper View Post

I've owned and loved several dogs and cats BUT 'member of my family'?
    Just try to tell this guy he's not a member of the family!

ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links