Shooting to Defend Your Dog? - Page 5

Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

This is a discussion on Shooting to Defend Your Dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; If you don't know the dog, you always must assume they are a potential threat. If he attacks your dog (he better be on a ...

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

If you don't know the dog, you always must assume they are a potential threat. If he attacks your dog (he better be on a leash) then he is attacking you. You have the right to defend yourself.

Because you never know the background issues with an animal, the attack can turn in a second.

As an officer, I had few issues with dogs, but as a PI, I ran into a great many. I had people threaten me with their animals, I had large dogs charge me through fences and once had a dog leap through a second story window onto a roof, snapping and growling at me. In every case, I was fully ready and prepared to shoot the animal. Rabies sucks. Have the animal tear at your gun hand and see how quickly you can react. An angry animal is nothing to mess with.

I should say I am not afraid of dogs; having owned one or more for the past 40 years, and understand pack behavior and territorial protection. But if I have business somewhere and am attacked by human or animal, I will defend myself to the death.

JP
    John P Serra
    US Navy, MMC(ss) Ret.
    Former Undercover NIS Operative
    Former LEO, SDPD, SDSO
    Former California PI
    Former Bounty Enforcement Agent
    Naval Range Instructor
    NRA Life Member

Author, Kokopelli's Flute
    www.johnserra.com

Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    I donít believe anyone on this forum would have any problem shooting a dog if they felt it was a danger to them or their family. I also know that many of you have dogs that are not just pets, but members of your family. So what would you do if you were out walking your dog and a bigger, more powerful and very aggressive dog attacks him? You do not recognize the dog and his owner is nowhere in sight. And despite whatever breed you happen to have, you quickly conclude that your dog doesnít stand a chance.

In most states, dogs are considered property like a couch or a TV. And shooting to defend a TV is usually not justifiable. Firing a gun inside the city limits is almost always illegal except in self-defense. If the aggressive dog has not so much as drooled on you, self-defense is going to be a hard sell. Since dogs are considered property, killing someone elseís dog would be akin to destroying their TV. You might then be criminally charged for destruction of property as well. On top of all that, you may be liable for the value of the dog. If itís a show dog, that could get expensive.

I realize this scenario begs for OC spray, taser or a big stick, but I would like to remove them from the situation. If you fire on the dog, you have to call the police. I am interested in your thoughts on how to defend a member of the family that the law considers property.
    Florida here and I just got my CWP last month
    I remember the instructor specifically giving this scenario and saying you could not protect the dog with your gun.

I do not agree with this. The irony is that the law requires that you take care of your animal(s)...i.e. Shots, Food, Water, Shade, basically treat them like family yet you can't protect the p00r creature???
    sheesh

Honest he was after me and my dog tried to fend him off. I had to shoot to protect myself and my family. I feared for my life from those big fangs. Prove otherwise.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hickatheart View Post
    Country/farming policy: SSS (Shoot, Shovel Shut-up)
    H@H
    LEO/CHL
    Certified Glock Armorer

"I got a touch of hangover bureaucrat, don't push me"
    --G.W. McClintock

Independence is declared; it must be maintained. Sam Houston-3/2/1836
    If loose gun laws are good for criminals why do criminals support gun control?

I had a Rottweiler charge me yesterday evening. I was on my bicycle I ride for health and exercise reasons, tyring to bring my blood pressure down. This big mean dog had charged me many times before. I have squirted him with a water bottle, let loose with a marine horn, and yesterday pepper sprayed him in the eyes. The spray was the only technique that stopped him. I am more afraid of the owner who often blames the pedestrain for the dog's mean and aggressive behavior. I am tempted to begin carrying while biking to protect myself from dog owners whose dog I have to pepper spray. I have a bicycling friend who was chased by the owner of a mean dog that he just pepper sprayed. I have been yelled at to stop honking my marine horn at a German Shepard that charged me. My experience is that owners are the biggest threat. They let their attack dogs run loose then when you protect yourself from these pit bulls, their owners lash out at the pedestrains using public roads and sidewalks. If I can figure a way to conceal carry my tiny P3AT on my bicycle without getting it sweaty, I may just start doing that.

So as not to be taken wrongly: SSS only when threat to livestock (livelyhood) and when in the pen with the animals (harassing or mauling). Dog vs dog, carry a walking stick, make sure fences are mended. Second chances make good neighbors.
    H@H

Over the years, I've found most dog attacks to be a joke. Yes, I've been bitten, but the only time I ever wondered if I was really screwed was when 3 Domerman's attacked when I was out running. As I started to get ready to defend myself with no weapon, thet started fighting between them. My exact though was great; the winner gets to kill me now. They went at it for a few minutes with me watching. I called one over and next thing I knew I had 3 new friends when I ran on Yalmer Road in Skandia, Michigan back in the early 1980's. If you attack my dog, your attacking me. 99.999% of attacking dogs are a joke, not a MS-13 member that wants to kill you.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

I have 2 long Haired Dachshunds. I just scoop em up if a nasty dog is around ;)

You don't need a gun for this one. Assuming I let the dog close to contact without stopping it, one good kick right behind the short rib takes the 'fight' out of them pretty quickly. I wouldn't shoot the dog unless it attacked me or someone else.

Dan
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member
    My dogs are about the size of a large doggy biscuit, so they would not stand a chance, one is getting old and don't have much for teeth left, so if they are getting attacked the outcome for the attacker won't be good.

Z
    An ounce of lead is worth 200lbs of cop.

Wow, a lot of people would be losing their right to own a firearm, or at minimum face seriously hefty fines.

Unless a PERSON'S life is at risk, most states don't allow the use of deadly force. (Castle doctrine aside.)

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    I do not believe that I can legally discharge a firearm in order to protect my dog when out walking.

You are looking at it all wrong- You fired that weapon to protect YOU and luckily your dog stepped in and allowed enough time for you to get to your gun while that deranged rabid strange dog attacked!

That dog growled at and lunged at YOU and your dog got in the way. Luckily you got a quick shot off while it was distracted. You DO believe it would have bitten you and you are DEATHLY afraid of rabies and other diseases.

In most states, that is what you would have to tell the police to be justified. As long as that is the case, you are justified.

If it is attacking your dog and you don't feel it stands a chance and the intruding dog will then attack you, there's no reason you can't shoot now and not later AFTER your dog is dead and before it attacks you.

29 years ago the first time I put my hand on my concealed gun was over a dog. I had trouble with my motorcycle and a dog decided he was going to try and eat me. I was not afraid of him and spoke firmly to him but made my mind up that if he crossed the yellow line in the road I was going to draw and fire. That was what I considered my reaction time and distance. I live in the country now and have shot several feral dogs that growled at me or my dog on my property. Not a smart thing to do. Since my dog never makes it to town except to see the vet it's normally not a problem for me. At least Oklahoma considers shooting dogs on your own property as a non problem.

The rabies thing reminded me about a 45 minute movie I saw in the military. It was of people dying from rabies. After watching that I always fessed up to getting bitten by a cat or dog and all my people were kept up to date with rabies shots.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

I don't care what State I'm in. My dog is a member of my family. If for instance a loose Pittbull attacks my leashed Chihuahua, I will be then be carrying the chihuahua with my left arm. This will then cause said pittbull to attack me at which time I will place several 45 Cal. rounds into the BD(bad dog) until the threat is stopped. I will then call 911, reload and wait for PD, all the while being mindful of possible threat from BD owner. If you do not comprehend this action then your pet is not a member of your family.
    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - General George Patton Jr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I heard some say attacking dogs are not much of a threat. Its not that infrequent that some pit bull or other such breeds running loose will bring down a child or elderly person. I can recall several news events where some child or older person was killed here in South Carolina by stray dogs.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Sponsored Links