Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

This is a discussion on Shooting to Defend Your Dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I'd kick the dog until it stopped attacking my dog. My boots are big and heavy and could probably kill it if I really wanted ...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

I'd kick the dog until it stopped attacking my dog.

My boots are big and heavy and could probably kill it if I really wanted to.
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

http://www.nevadashooters.com

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by papanewguinea View Post
    Coming late to this thread, but this happened to a friend in TX. He has CHL and killed the dog. When the law arrived, he told them what had happened.
    'So, the dog attacked you, Sir ...'
    'No, it attacked my dog, and I just -'
    'No, not me, my d-'

... after the third time, he got the drift!!
    ... and at what point did the officer ask him to show him the dog bites upon his person and/or torn clothing, blood, etc?
    What you think about, you do ... what you do, you become.

Quote Originally Posted by Airborne Falcon View Post
    ... and at what point did the officer ask him to show him the dog bites upon his person and/or torn clothing, blood, etc?
    The whole point of defending yourself is to prevent being wounded.

If someone's attacking you with a knife, are you going to let them stab you before you shoot?
    That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about a hundred and nine, ninety five. It's got a walnut stock, cobalt blue steel, and a hair trigger. That's right. Shop smart. Shop S-Mart. You got that?

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    The whole point of defending yourself is to prevent being wounded.

If someone's attacking you with a knife, are you going to let them stab you before you shoot?
    Well, no ... but that is not an analogy that applies to the problem at hand. A better one would be:

If two people are fighting, both with knives, are you going to shoot one of them without knowing the whole story?

Or better yet ...

If you see someone outside of your home, casing the place, at 0300 hours in the morning ... are you going to shoot them in your yard, or wait until they come through the window?

Laws are funky these days.

Dogs don't "attack" without at least breaking skin or tearing clothes. Otherwise, they are just barking dogs and may even be a dog who felt threatened himself ... for whatever good reason, in the eyes of the dog's owner.

I'll also offer the view that the whole point of defending one's self in the eyes of the law is to prevent being killed or mortally wounded ... not necessarily simply "wounded." Being wounded is the safe way to go imho. You have to be quick enough and smart enough to decide just how wounded you intend to be.

If two people are fighting, both with knives, are you going to shoot one of them without knowing the whole story?
    I would if one of them was a family member (like the dog).

I'll also offer the view that the whole point of defending one's self in the eyes of the law is to prevent being killed or mortally wounded ... not necessarily simply "wounded." Being wounded is the safe way to go imho. You have to be quick enough and smart enough to decide just how wounded you intend to be.
    It's just a dog though. I think you can put it down even if there isn't a threat of being killed or mortally wounded.

If it was a person, I would agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    29 years ago the first time I put my hand on my concealed gun was over a dog.
    A little OT, but I had a vicious looking dog try to come over a fence after my g/f and I, while we were trying to get our then-1 month old son in the car. It looked like the dog was going to clear the fence, which was directly in front of my car, and I knew I couldn't get the car unlocked fast enough, so I got my son behind me and prepared to draw. Fortunately (for the dog), the fence was a few inches too high, and the dog couldn't quite clear it. Scared me half to death.

Back on-topic, whether or not I chose to shoot a dog that was attacking my dog would depend on the size of the attacking dog, and whether or not I was alone. I would not let a large, vicious dog get anywhere near my g/f or son, if it were attacking them directly or not. I would not shoot strictly to defend my dog, though, although I would kick the attacking dog into submission.
    G17, G26

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil...

I like the story about the dog shooting his owner They make it sound like he picked up the gun and shot him on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by whyipackmy45 View Post
    I like the story about the dog shooting his owner They make it sound like he picked up the gun and shot him on purpose.
    For the last time! I do not like kibbles and bits! *BOOM*

Well,

Interesting responses. The original question" So what would you do if you were out walking your dog and a bigger, more powerful and very aggressive dog attacks him? " My answer is I won't have a dog living with me in a location where I have to walk him. Dogs are able to walk themselves.

If I am unable to supervise her activities, I will put her, "Fluffy", on a long tie out in the yard so she can sun herself and sniff grasshoppers. Fluffy is a very powerful dog and, while under my supervision, if she did ever did attack another dog who was being walked I would take the necessary steps to protect the other dog.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

As an old corrections officer once told me..."it's all in how you write the report."

If a dog attacks my dog, I am going to assume and report that he was attacking me. Luckily, my dog intervened allowing me time to do what I had to in order to protect myself from the imminent threat of "death or serious bodily harm." (the magic words in La.)

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Links