Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

This is a discussion on Shooting to Defend Your Dog? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; I don’t believe anyone on this forum would have any problem shooting a dog if they felt it was a danger to them or their ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

Shooting to Defend Your Dog?

I don’t believe anyone on this forum would have any problem shooting a dog if they felt it was a danger to them or their family. I also know that many of you have dogs that are not just pets, but members of your family. So what would you do if you were out walking your dog and a bigger, more powerful and very aggressive dog attacks him? You do not recognize the dog and his owner is nowhere in sight. And despite whatever breed you happen to have, you quickly conclude that your dog doesn’t stand a chance.

In most states, dogs are considered property like a couch or a TV. And shooting to defend a TV is usually not justifiable. Firing a gun inside the city limits is almost always illegal except in self-defense. If the aggressive dog has not so much as drooled on you, self-defense is going to be a hard sell. Since dogs are considered property, killing someone else’s dog would be akin to destroying their TV. You might then be criminally charged for destruction of property as well. On top of all that, you may be liable for the value of the dog. If it’s a show dog, that could get expensive.

I realize this scenario begs for OC spray, taser or a big stick, but I would like to remove them from the situation. If you fire on the dog, you have to call the police. I am interested in your thoughts on how to defend a member of the family that the law considers property.

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I do not believe that I can legally discharge a firearm in order to protect my dog when out walking.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I live in the county, so that's not a concern. I would watch them fight for a minute( I would like to see what he could do) but, if he was about to be killed by another dog, I would shoot. He is by no means a t.v., he is family. ( I think a boot would work but you ruled that out)

GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Check your lease laws. I know of a case where I live where a toy poodle was playing in the front yard of the house where he lived. The person across the street open their front door a pit bull ran across the street and killed the poodle. The LEO told the poodle owner that if his dog had been on a lead we could have legally shot the pit bull. Since neither dog was not on a lead nothing could be done. Strange to me but.............
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Senior Moderator
    In my city a person would have to be attacked in order to discharge my weapon in public.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I would shoot the other dog. If he attacks my dog then I would argue that he will attack me. However, my dog is a member of my family they are not property. The castle doctrine has certain points that allow a Texan to protect their person and property.

Quote Originally Posted by mslaughtertx View Post
    I would shoot the other dog. If he attacks my dog then I would argue that he will attack me. However, my dog is a member of my family they are not property. The castle doctrine has certain points that allow a Texan to protect their person and property.
    MS also!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

"The bad dog was trying to attack me. Only through the efforts of my dog was I allowed the time required to draw my firearm and save myself from a terrible mauling."
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Senior Moderator
    It looks like I'd be OK in Florida if I shot to protect my dog:

1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or whosoever knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises is guilty of a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Division of Forestry.

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : flsenate.gov
    This view seems to be supported by Jon Gutmacher on p. 238 of Florida Firearms.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

State laws are the key to lawful activity here.
    It's not about what's right or wrong but what is or isn't lawful toward such an action in defense of ones pet.
    Exceptions in most every state though do exist specifically toward livestock and 'service animals' such as cop K9s and human assistance animals such as seeing eye dogs, which generally are not singularly a 'pet'.

Then there is as PGrass mentioned state and local legal conditions toward discharging a firearm within city limits and within X feet distance of a residence or school for those of us who live in areas that have neighbors and businesses within eye sight of each other be they city, suburban, or rural.

I personally would not shoot a dog or dogs that might be attacking my dog (an Akita who can most definitely hold his own). But if said dogs turned against me, I would not hesitate.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

That exact scenario happened to me in mid-December last year. I was completely unprepared for it...

The only difference between your scenario & mine is that the attacking dog was accidentally let out by a kid taking out the trash. The kid was immediately behind the dog, trying to chase it down - he did his best, and I appreciated his effort, but the dog was certainly more powerful than him, so he didn't stand much of a chance. The rest of the details aren't important, so I'll skip to what I learned.

I had my dog on his leash (as I always do), and I had it in my right hand, i.e. my strong side, so as to better control my dog. This was my first & biggest mistake. The leash is always held in my weak hand now, leaving my strong hand available to defend / attack as necessary.

My second mistake is that I was walking him in a long overcoat - very comfortable & very warm, but it pretty much took away my ability to kick or use my knees in defense. I've changed my manner of dress when walking my dog, so this will never be a problem again.

In this particular scenario, if I'd have had my gun, I could / would not have used it because the kid was in the mix too. If the kid had not been there, I don't know what I would have done - I hadn't thought it through up to that point. Now, if my dog is attacked by another animal, I will not hesitate to use whatever force I believe is necessary & that I can safely bring to bear. My wife & I have chosen not to have kids, and our dog is a member of our family - not like a member... I will defend my dog as most others would their children - I don't love him any less than a parent loves their kids.

Let me put it another way - if I am prosecuted / punished for defending my dog against attack, I can live with the consequences. If my dog dies because of a failure to act on my part, I'm not sure I could.

I know that my strong feelings for my dog are probably not the norm, but I simply don't care. If you love your dog, make sure it doesn't get loose & attack mine - I'll kill it like it was a child molester going after a kid, without hesitation, and deal with the consequences later.

And by the way, my dog is fine - he wasn't hurt at all. I injured my knee fending off the other dog (who pretty much ignored me, thankfully), and the attacking dog's owner pretty much told me to go pound sand when I tried to get him to pay for a trip to the doctor for me to check out my knee. I guess I'll be paying for an exam myself when I have the financial resources to do so (and possible surgery - my knee is still not in good shape), but I'd do it again to protect my dog!

Oh yeah, two other notes:

1. I don't think I'd ever have cause to shoot a tv, but if I was ever being attacked by one, I don't think I'd have a problem justifying it later.

2. For me, since my dog is always on a leash when outside (we live in an apartment complex, so no yard), it should be pretty easy for me to claim self-defense should another dog attack mine. The leash is only 6 feet long, and if a vicious dog is doing violence within 6 feet of me, self-defense should be a pretty easy sell.
    "It is only as retaliation that force may be used and only against the man who starts its use. No, I do not share his evil or sink to his concept of morality: I merely grant him his choice, destruction, the only destruction he had a right to choose: his own." - John Galt, from Atlas Shrugged

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Then there is as PGrass mentioned state and local legal conditions toward discharging a firearm within city limits and within X feet distance of a residence or school for those of us who live in areas that have neighbors and businesses within eye sight of each other be they city, suburban, or rural.

- Janq
    Your are correct Janq,

If I lived outside of the city limits I could shoot any stray dog on my property, just for being on my property.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

dang,

Check into this for your dog walking carry...

Cabela's -- Kimber LifeAct Self-Defense Spray

Works on 2 and 4 legged attackers as well.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Here in texas if a dog attacks you have the right to use deadly force to stop the attack,I do't read dogs minds if a dog is charging in an aggressive manner a 45 230 grn HST will calm him right down, and oh yeah as far as property if somebody trys to steal my tv and i'm in the house or arriveing home during the burglary they will be dragging them out the door in a body bag,

Also works on 2 or 4 legged predators

Attached Images

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Links