ABC Primetime last night, Teens terrorizing a homeless person

This is a discussion on ABC Primetime last night, Teens terrorizing a homeless person within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Anyone else catch it? It was a staged experiment to see if people would intervene. As the level of violence by the teens stepped up, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ABC Primetime last night, Teens terrorizing a homeless person

Anyone else catch it?

It was a staged experiment to see if people would intervene. As the level of violence by the teens stepped up, more people intervened, especially when the homeless actor was a female. When they gave the kids a fake baseball bat people intervened pretty quickly. I got to wondering where they did this and if they intentionally did it in a no-carry state, because I can see myself and a lot of us drawing down and preparing to fire on a gang of teens beating someone with a baseball bat. The network (and the kid-actors!) got lucky that one of us wasn't there.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

The network (and the kid-actors!) got lucky that one of us wasn't there.
    +1 In Mississippi. Mostly though I think they do those things where there is a large majority of .
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

That's a dangerous experiment to carry out. Reminds me of the show Just for Laughs...a hidden camera TV show...I think it's in England or some place where they 'banned' all guns...One of these days one of these 'pranks' or 'studies' is going to end in trajedy.

But I guess if somebody did pull a gun or shoot, then they would have gotten their answer.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Sounds like a bad experiment. Imagine if you are approaching somthing like that, you draw, and 5 people start coming at you, some holding a camera, and you have no idea what is going on. Could be very bad. Atleast they couldn't put you on the air without your consent.

This "expirment" is why I don't get involved and do more than call the on-duty LEO's when I'm not working.

I think it was filmed in N.J., but guess what? I can carry in N.J. and talked to my wife as we were watching it. If suspect has a baseball bat, I produce gun.

Let's just say, it wouldn't have been pretty if someone with a firearm had been on the scene. This is a major chance for a Cluster$!*#.

Biker

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin Cajun View Post
    Sounds like a bad experiment. Imagine if you are approaching somthing like that, you draw, and 5 people start coming at you, some holding a camera, and you have no idea what is going on. Could be very bad. Atleast they couldn't put you on the air without your consent.
    Wrong! If your in public you don't have " reasonable expectation of privacy" so you can be taped, audio and video in most states with or without your consent.
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    Wrong! If your in public you don't have " reasonable expectation of privacy" so you can be taped, audio and video in most states with or without your consent.
    Yeah, I believe that that's true if it's journalism. If it's entertainment (david letterman catches you eating a peach), they have to get permission?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by joleary223 View Post
    If your in public you don't have "reasonable expectation of privacy" so you can be taped, audio and video in most states with or without your consent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    Yeah, I believe that that's true if it's journalism. If it's entertainment (david letterman catches you eating a peach), they have to get permission?
    And of course this is an example of journalism. You can tell by the presence of actors and staged, rehearsed situations.

Er, wait...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

This does seem like an experiment that will lead to some of the actors getting hurt. I remember watching an earlier episode where a guy who stole a purse was punched. Kids carrying a bat, beating a homeless person? If I saw that, I would draw my weapon. It was filmed in NJ so the majority of GG's are disarmed.
    You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." . . . You must do the thing you think you cannot do. Eleanor Roosevelt

Now ask me again why I would want to get involved when I don't know who all the players are?

Don't think for one moment that if a "Card Carrying Good Guy" was on the scene and produced his gun that it wouldn't be a PR disaster for the CCW crowd. As callous as it sounds, if I don't know you and can't identify you I'm not getting involved beyond calling for On Duty personnel. Now if the one being harmed is a member of my family or an "identified" LEO, I will do what I have to do within the scope of the law.

Biker

id would get real interesting REAL quick if one of the homeless people were undercover LEO's...

I'd feel bad for their parents.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    Now ask me again why I would want to get involved when I don't know who all the players are?

Don't think for one moment that if a "Card Carrying Good Guy" was on the scene and produced his gun that it wouldn't be a PR disaster for the CCW crowd. As callous as it sounds, if I don't know you and can't identify you I'm not getting involved beyond calling for On Duty personnel. Now if the one being harmed is a member of my family or an "identified" LEO, I will do what I have to do within the scope of the law.
    Biker, I understand what you mean. I also understand that this is the beginning of a landslide that ends with the English model of civilization where they cannot and do not defend themselves without being criminally prosecuted. WHO CARES who the players are, when a fellow member of our society is in trouble we must act. We must continue to uphold our right to defend ourselves and our fellow citizens by practicing it. When this is no longer the norm, when we allow ourselves to be intimidated out of doing the right thing and standing up for each other, they can do anything to us.

Does that mean if we see someone being threatened that we draw and open fire? No it does not. A policeman wouldn't do that. I wouldn't do that. I would expect a thinking person to shout for the attackers to stop, being prepared to be the next potential victim. Most BG's when confronted break off the attack and hoof it. A quick authoritative shout to freeze may be all it takes to intervene without further physical involvement. Then the cell phone comes out and help is called for the victim and to get people on the trail of the attackers.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

OK guys and gals, I'm not going to get in to a contest to see who can urinate highest on the tree.

Intervening in a situation is not always the thing to do from a "self preservation" standpoint. I never advocated pulling out your gun and shooting, although that may be necessary in a situation. I was amazed at the number of people that put themselves "at risk" when the actor was holding a bat.

My wife and I had a conversation about the bat and the "disparity of force". Needless to say, you pull a bat on me, I pull a gun. Make no mistake about it, a bat is a "Deadly Instrument" when it's used to strike the cranium.

In the scenarios on television I would be on the phone to 911, I doubt I would be confronting them when I am not "on the clock".

Commentary by Evan Marshall

Biker

Granted, we are not the police, but who on this forum could stand by and watch a screaming woman stabbed multiple times without trying to stop it?

VIP Member
    If I were to see someone, anyone being beaten with a baseball bat by a gang or group or even by a single individual... I'm getting involved!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links