Disappointing Police response - Page 3

Disappointing Police response

This is a discussion on Disappointing Police response within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Recently,in a city near me,it was announced that auto vandalism,theft and certain other crimes would not be met with police response if the BG was ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Recently,in a city near me,it was announced that auto vandalism,theft and certain other crimes would not be met with police response if the BG was gone.You make a report over the phone if there is no danger.Many cities are having problems hiring and keeping officers.I remember an alarm system I had at my business in the 1970's.We were so short on cops,I usually responded by myself,even if the cops were notified by the alarm company,there were not enough to cover everything.False alarms do represent a problem.I really want a system to alert me if I am home.I have insurance for'stuff'.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    My buddy works for the local police dept in the next town over. He said that they don't usually respond unless it's a panic alarm set from inside the house. Otherwise, they get there when they can. Too many false alarms. I agree with fines being imposed for too many false alarms. When I lived in Dallas I got a nice sticker saying that I would be fined the next false alarm I got. I made sure everything was locked (it was sliding glass door, wind blew it open) every time after that. I got a stick & placed it in the track of the door to make sure that didn't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Thanks for this advice! All I can say is HOLY CRAP! I called them and this is what I got:

"The city of Lakewood does not respond to homeowner alarms and has not done so for the last 5 years."

They didn't even show up!!!!

Talk about a false sense of security. I need to figure out how to deal with this.
    The Alarm Company should have told you this up front since they knew that the Police doesn't respond to their alarms.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Sounds like the police reaction to a call from ADT is similar to mine (and everyone else's) when a car alarm goes off: one more meaningless noise.

There was a horror story in the newpaper here several years ago about an attic-mounted klaxon that triggered while the owner was away on vacation. The klaxon sounded for a couple of weeks because the local police refused to get involved. The neighbors just about lynched the owner when he returned.

Based on the story sparking this thread, I don't see what a monitoring service does for the client. Seems like a person who chooses to invade an occupied home is not there for burglary, accepts maximum risk, and would likely not be deterred by a siren. Really, what else can a monitor-only service do?

To me the security crux is my response to an intrusion when I am home---at that point it's up to me; no monitor service and no police can do anything during the crucial first minute.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulBk View Post
    In my neighborhood, ADT doesn't respond. They notify local first responders, who respond according to local policy.

-Paul
    So if the local departments policy is they don't respond, what happens?
    This is one of the things that really annoyed me when I was a dispatcher. These companies are charging people all of these fees to basically do nothing. Your alarm going off got the same priority whether is was called in by you, an alarm company or one of your neighbors. They don't even respond when it goes off, they just call someone else! So all of that fee money goes to what? It is not paying for the fuel and maintenance of the vehicles that respond when the alarms go off. It is not paying the salaries of the people that respond when the alarm goes off. And now we find out that they call departments that don't respond, and they don't even call their customer back to let them know about the non response!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Senior Member Array Stirling XD's Avatar
    I have been planning my alarm system for my next house based on the fact that police are unlikely to respond. If the alarm goes off, I get the call, not the police or monitoring company. That saves me a fee. I plan on setting up a couple of cameras that can be monitored over the Internet and therefore, from my cell phone as well. If I see someone in the house, then I call the police to report a confirmed burglary in progress. I haven’t worked out the details completely yet, but I know the technology is available.

In my opinion, they might need to update/correct their advertising. From ADT's web site:
    How ADT Monitored Security Works.
    When an alarm signal is received from your home or business, an ADT professional can alert both you and the police, fire department or emergency personnel right away. So, whether you’re there or away, you have protection, which acts like an invisible blanket around the people and things that value most to you.
    Doesn't seem like much of a blanket if you're 1000 miles away on vacation and the police don't respond anyway.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Tuesday night of this week I packed the family into the car and took them all out to a local kids/theme resturaunt (Casa Bonita, for those in the Denver area) to celebrate my two year olds 2nd birthday. I set our alarm as I left.

About an hour into our dinner, I get a call from the security company. "This is ADT, your alarm has gone off, would you like us to notify police?" I tell them, "yes" and I leave the family (and friends, there were about 10 of us in all) and head home to check on things.

I'm only a few minutes away and expected the police to be there when I got home. They were not. They had already come and gone.

So my alarm had been tripped from a motion sensor (and a hyper dog that had been left where she shouldn't have been), and no break-in had occured. The police only came to the front door and knocked. We had just had snow, so there was fresh snow all the way around the house and I could see that they went to no other place than the front door to knock. When there was no answer, they left.

The police didn't check any of my windows, even the ones easily accessible on the front and sides of the house. They didn't look for any signs of breakin anywhere other than the front door.

My buddy, who had joined us for dinner and went back to check the house with me made the comment, "Wow.. your burglar alarm is neat. It lets you know from a distance that all your stuff is gone."

Is this a typical police response? Wouldn't a blaring siren, the fact that I TOLD them to go check on it, etc., give them probable cause enough to maybe even enter the home? Shouldn't they at least check the perimeter of the home for signs of breakin?
    Hi,
    I about three years ago had my place burglarized, so I purchase an alarm from Home Depot, it’s the type the calls ADT for them to call you to ask if police needs to be called. I found that the alarm allows me to set two phone numbers. I set it to my wife’s cell phone and to my cell phone. Why pay a company to call you then to call the police? My alarm allows me to call in and listen in the house and I decide if the police will be call.

The burglar came back a second time and broke into my home, but it was not the alarm that got him arrested, it was a camera I had setup.

The sad thing was the first time he broke in, he took my safe that had my 45ACP in it but with out the magazine and this type of firearm will not shoot with out the magazine.

A year later a detective called me to let me know they had my firearm and when I asked the detective when I can pick it up, he said as soon as the homicide investigation is over.
    I said “WHAT someone was killed with it??” he said yes. I told him I did not want it back and that I could always perchance a new firearm. My thoughts are that the burglar should have gotten more than a year for burglarizing my home and selling my firearm.

Similar thing happened to me I missed the call from adt but got the call for the police sargent (got my # off work trailer) when I arrived passed 2 B&W and 1 in the driveway waiting for me, walked down the house quick check and everything looked ok many thanks and he left.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    We are pretty lucky with our alarm service. Our alarm rings directly at the local PD, when an alarm is received they automatically dispatch an officer to the residence while simultaneously calling the homeowner to see if its a false alarm. Their response time is between 7 - 10 minutes.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    Could it be that maybe the Police could see that there were no new tracks in the snow and therefore didn't need go there?
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by manglero View Post
    The sad thing was the first time he broke in, he took my safe that had my 45ACP in it but with out the magazine and this type of firearm will not shoot with out the magazine.

I take it that it wasn't bolted to the floor? Was is a large/heavy safe? I'm eventually going to get one & want to learn from others what to do & what not to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by manglero View Post
    A year later a detective called me to let me know they had my firearm and when I asked the detective when I can pick it up, he said as soon as the homicide investigation is over.
    I said “WHAT someone was killed with it??” he said yes. I told him I did not want it back and that I could always perchance a new firearm. My thoughts are that the burglar should have gotten more than a year for burglarizing my home and selling my firearm.
    Years ago, my uncle had his off duty carry weapon stolen. He got it back after they discovered that a gang member shot & killed a Jamaican drug dealer. He figures that it was put to good use & still carries it to this day. It still has the serial # filed off from when the guy stole it. I think he had to be without it for a while as it was used for evidence in the trial.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stirling XD View Post
    I have been planning my alarm system for my next house based on the fact that police are unlikely to respond. If the alarm goes off, I get the call, not the police or monitoring company. That saves me a fee. I plan on setting up a couple of cameras that can be monitored over the Internet and therefore, from my cell phone as well. If I see someone in the house, then I call the police to report a confirmed burglary in progress. I haven’t worked out the details completely yet, but I know the technology is available.

All basic panels on up have a dialer. I'm in the industry and in the process of putting a system in my house. It will definity dial my cell phone. Companies like ADT make their money on monitoring. Anyone is better off buying a system out right if cost is a concern. The police have become hardened to responding to false alarms, there are so many and it is viewed as a waste of time. My suggestion is have an indoor siren and an outdoor siren. They will not hang around when they know the whole neighborhood hears that screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by bluelineman View Post
    Years ago, my uncle had his off duty carry weapon stolen. He got it back after they discovered that a gang member shot & killed a Jamaican drug dealer. He figures that it was put to good use & still carries it to this day. It still has the serial # filed off from when the guy stole it. I think he had to be without it for a while as it was used for evidence in the trial.
    I'm with Manglero on this one. Even aside from the potential creepiness, what if some other body turns up with a bullet in it from that gun? Now you are a potential suspect because you have the firearm again. Seems like the cost of a new firearm is pretty cheap in that context.

-john

VIP Member
    But certainly anyone who knows the police's policy isn't going to be even slightly deterred.
    Most Bad Guys who have been to Criminal U. once or twice definitely know these type of policies. Thats why I laugh every time I see an ADT comercial on tv...." 'Maam this is Stew with ADT are you all right?' 'No somebody just tried to break in but the alarm scared them off!' 'I'm sending help now.' " What a load of CRAP!
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links