Disappointing Police response

This is a discussion on Disappointing Police response within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Tuesday night of this week I packed the family into the car and took them all out to a local kids/theme resturaunt (Casa Bonita, for ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointing Police response

Disappointing Police response

Tuesday night of this week I packed the family into the car and took them all out to a local kids/theme resturaunt (Casa Bonita, for those in the Denver area) to celebrate my two year olds 2nd birthday. I set our alarm as I left.

About an hour into our dinner, I get a call from the security company. "This is ADT, your alarm has gone off, would you like us to notify police?" I tell them, "yes" and I leave the family (and friends, there were about 10 of us in all) and head home to check on things.

I'm only a few minutes away and expected the police to be there when I got home. They were not. They had already come and gone.

So my alarm had been tripped from a motion sensor (and a hyper dog that had been left where she shouldn't have been), and no break-in had occured. The police only came to the front door and knocked. We had just had snow, so there was fresh snow all the way around the house and I could see that they went to no other place than the front door to knock. When there was no answer, they left.

The police didn't check any of my windows, even the ones easily accessible on the front and sides of the house. They didn't look for any signs of breakin anywhere other than the front door.

My buddy, who had joined us for dinner and went back to check the house with me made the comment, "Wow.. your burglar alarm is neat. It lets you know from a distance that all your stuff is gone."

Is this a typical police response? Wouldn't a blaring siren, the fact that I TOLD them to go check on it, etc., give them probable cause enough to maybe even enter the home? Shouldn't they at least check the perimeter of the home for signs of breakin?
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    I'd call the shift commander and the Chief (or his underlings) and express my concerns. There is no excuse for not checking the perimeter (unless you have a high privacy fence and locked gates). I'd also express my concern for the officer's collective safety - they arrived at a possible "in-progress" call and didn't follow any of the training they received in the academy.
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

I would think they would at least check windows and doors for signs of forcible entry.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    In Texas at the dept. I worked for........it was the policy to walk around the house and check all doors and window if an alarm had gone off. If everything look as it shoudl be we did not wait for the home owner to arrive. I would call the PD or sheriff's office and ask what their policy is when an alarm company calls them.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by sniper58 View Post
    I'd call the shift commander and the Chief (or his underlings) and express my concerns. There is no excuse for not checking the perimeter (unless you have a high privacy fence and locked gates). I'd also express my concern for the officer's collective safety - they arrived at a possible "in-progress" call and didn't follow any of the training they received in the academy.

Thanks for this advice! All I can say is HOLY CRAP! I called them and this is what I got:

"The city of Lakewood does not respond to homeowner alarms and has not done so for the last 5 years."

They didn't even show up!!!!

Talk about a false sense of security. I need to figure out how to deal with this.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    Thanks for this advice! All I can say is HOLY CRAP! I called them and this is what I got:

"The city of Lakewood does not respond to homeowner alarms and has not done so for the last 5 years."

Talk about a false sense of security. I need to figure out how to deal with this.
    I was going to mention that this is par for the course in many areas. I was surprised when I read in your OP that they might have come and gone.
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

footprints might of been burglar checking out house set dog off running around which set off alarm and burglar hearing dog decided maybei'll find another house.I guess the alarm is only good if you're home and life might be in danger otherwise it's an alert to let you know you probably don't have as much cool stuff anymore

I thought you said there were foot prints at the front door? Maybe, it wasn't your dog that set off the alarm afterall.
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    footprints might of been burglar checking out house set dog off running around which set off alarm and burglar hearing dog decided maybei'll find another house
    Well, the footprints could've been anyone that came to the door... we have teenagers, so that wouldn't be unusual at all. The motion sensor is in a part of the house that is normally blocked off from the dogs. I'm not too particularly worried about the prints in the snow. What I am worried about is that the police didn't show and won't show.

Another case where the police won't/can't protect people. My alarm has only one function now... Deterrant. But certainly anyone who knows the police's policy isn't going to be even slightly deterred.
    Last edited by JD; March 5th, 2008 at 03:04 PM. Reason: po po?

And ya wonder why I like to get involved in politics.

I would find out who is running against that Chief of Police, Mayor (if he appointed the chief), Sheriff etc. and work for whoever is running against him.

I would use your home break-in as just one example of why that person “has to go”.

For now it’s a good thing you have ADT, and you might as well figure you’re in charge of your own home security. With an alarm screaming, BG’s are not going to hang around long so buy a big safe and store all valuable inside.

VIP Member
    You may already know, but they have pet-proof motion sensors, that will only activate if something weighs more than X? lbs. I can't remember the exact weight, something around 75 lbs I think. It works, we have 3 cats and they've never set it off, but I trigger it all the time, as I notice it's red light come on whenever I enter its zone. Too bad about the police, maybe an outside siren with a 15 minute reset timer on it? Maybe you have a nearby buddy that you could call to check your house in the event of an alarm, and you could do the same for him? Maybe install a web cam that sends a motion photo to your PDA or cell phone, that way you could call the police and tell them you see an intruder inside?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    You may already know, but they have pet-proof motion sensors, that will only activate if something weighs more than X? lbs. I can't remember the exact weight, something around 75 lbs I think. It works, we have 3 cats and they've never set it off, but I trigger it all the time, as I notice it's red light come on whenever I enter its zone. Too bad about the police, maybe an outside siren with a 15 minute reset timer on it? Maybe you have a nearby buddy that you could call to check your house in the event of an alarm, and you could do the same for him? Maybe install a web cam that sends a motion photo to your PDA or cell phone, that way you could call the police and tell them you see an intruder inside?
    I know they are marketed with the pounds information but its the body temperature that's relevant. And this, is where false alarms happen.

PIR's (motion sensors) watch for a certain infrared wavelength to be picked up. For human beings, our body temperature emits a wavelength that's pretty consistently different then our pets. But that's not always the case.

For example, your dog may have a fever, or get really agitated and become hot. Pow, their IR wavelength gets close enough to human wavelengths and your alarm goes off.

I used to have this problem with my ferrets, who have a higher than human body temperature. If I left a window open, or they were sick and started getting cold, they would start emitting a lower temperature wavelength. For one animal, this was not an issue, but if all five (yes I had five) got cold it would set the alarm off. I solved this problem by putting a blanket over the side of their cage that faced the PIR.

That's where the marketing comes in, at around 75 pounds of mass, the emission is high enough to trigger the alarm.

So again, lets say you have two dogs and both become excited...

Hopefully that makes sense. It is possible an animal set it off even though all modern PIR's are designed to "ignore anything under 75 pounds".
    "Wise people learn when they can; fools learn when they must." - The Duke of Wellington

It's probably just as well that they didn't show. In some of Denver's suburbs they charge big bucks you for showing up at a false alarm(ie, no one around to arrest). Of course if the thieves were scared off by the alarm, it's not really a false alarm. Burglaries seem to be a very minor concern to police departments.

A lot of departments no longer respond because they get so very inundated with false alarms. (literally hundreds if not thousands of falses for every actual), OR, as Stirling pointed out they charge big$$.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    Cupcake's right. I remember a local LEO buddy of mine in the Northern VA suburbs telling me that the average response time to a home alarm was around 30 minutes if anyone even took the call. I used to consider alarms to be useless but the OP changed my mind...

If you are out someplace and the alarm company calls then that gives you the chance to respond to your own burglery. Granted that's a REALLY sticky situation to get involved with but getting an alert about it is better than nothing at all!!!! How to react to such a call and the legal ramifications if you have to shoot.... well thats for a different topic.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links