Several killed at Seminary in Jerusalem {Merged}

This is a discussion on Several killed at Seminary in Jerusalem {Merged} within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; BBC NEWS | Middle East | Eight killed at Jerusalem school At least eight people have been killed and six wounded by a Palestinian gunman ...

Thread: Several killed at Seminary in Jerusalem {Merged}

Several killed at Seminary in Jerusalem {Merged}

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Eight killed at Jerusalem school

At least eight people have been killed and six wounded by a Palestinian gunman who infiltrated a Jewish seminary in West Jerusalem, Israeli officials say.

Witnesses said the gunman went into a crowded hall during dinner at the Mercaz Harav seminary in the city's Kiryat Moshe quarter and opened fire.

The assailant, who Israeli police said was a resident of East Jerusalem, was shot dead by an Israeli army officer.

The attack is the worst of its kind in Israel for a number of years.

The BBC's Middle East editor Jeremy Bowen says the Israeli government will be under immense pressure to respond - and it will, even though it is not known when and where precisely.

The Palestinian Islamist group, Hamas, praised the attack, calling it "heroic", but did not claim responsibility. There was also celebratory gunfire in Gaza.

Later, the al-Manar satellite television station of the Lebanese Hezbollah movement reported that a previously unknown group called the "Jalil Freedom Battalions - the Martyrs of Imad Mughniyeh and Gaza" was behind the shooting.

Israeli security forces have been on high alert since Mughniyeh, a senior Hezbollah leader and military commander, was killed in a car bomb in Damascus on 12 February.

Hezbollah blamed Israel, which denied any involvement.

'Horrific'

Witnesses said the gunman entered the dining hall at the Mercaz Harav seminary, where about 80 people were gathered, and began firing at its students in every direction for several minutes.

When we got in... we saw young, 15-, 16-year-old guys lying on the floor with their Bibles in their hands - all dead on the floor
    Witness

One man told the BBC that there had been "terrible scenes" inside the seminary in the aftermath of the attack.

"The terrorists were shooting on us. We all hid under the cars," he said.

"When we got in... we saw young, 15-, 16-year-old guys lying on the floor with their Bibles in their hands - all dead on the floor because the terrorist guys went inside and killed those guys who were only here studying in Jerusalem."

Yaron Tzuker, a medic, said he arrived as the gunfire was still going on.

"We took cover and the ambulance was hit. It's horrible inside - dead bodies and wounded - it's horrific," he told Channel 10 television.

Israeli police and military personnel later searched the building and the surrounding area in order to determine whether there had been a second assailant, but Jerusalem's police commander said there had been only one man.

"He hid the weapon in a cardboard box," Aharon Franco told reporters.

DEADLY ATTACKS IN ISRAEL
    4 Feb 2008: One dies, Dimona suicide bombing
    29 Apr 2007: Three die, Eilat suicide bombing
    17 Apr 2006: Nine die, 40 wounded, suicide bombing near old bus station in Tel Aviv
    30 Mar 2006: Four die, Kedumim suicide bombing
    29 Dec 2005: Thee die, suicide bombing near Tulkarm
    5 Dec 2005: Five die, Netanya suicide bombing
    26 Oct 2005: Six die, Hadera market suicide bombing
    12 July 2005: Two die, Netanya suicide bombing
    25 Feb 2005: Five die, 50 hurt, suicide bombing outside Tel Aviv nightclub
    13 Jan 2005: Six die, suicide bombing at Karni crossing

Mr Franco said an Israeli army officer who lived nearby had run to the school after hearing gunfire and shot the gunman dead.

Jerusalem Mayor Uri Lupolianski told Israeli Channel 2 television: "It's very sad tonight in Jerusalem - many people were killed in the heart of Jerusalem."

An Israeli foreign ministry spokesman said "terrorists are trying to destroy the chances of peace, but we will certainly continue peace talks" with Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, who also condemned the attack.

"The president condemns all attacks that target civilians, whether they are Palestinian or Israeli," said a statement released by Mr Abbas' office.

The US Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, who held talks with Israeli and Palestinian leaders earlier this week in an attempt to revive the stalled peace negotiations, condemned the shooting as an "act of terror and depravity".

The Mercaz Harav seminary is a well-known centre for Jewish studies and most students are aged between 18 and 30. It is said to be associated with the leadership of the Jewish settler movement in the West Bank.

Hamas praise

In the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip, gunmen fired into the air after news broke about the attack. A loudspeaker in Gaza City reportedly broadcast the message: "This is God's vengeance".

Celebrations in the Gaza Strip (6 March 2008)
    This heroic attack in Jerusalem is a normal response to the crimes of the occupier and its murder of civilians
    Sami Abu Zuhri
    Hamas spokesman

A spokesman for Hamas, Sami Abu Zuhri, said the group "blesses the heroic operation in Jerusalem, which was a natural reaction to the Zionist massacre".

The BBC's Crispin Thorold says this will be a particularly shocking incident for the Israeli public and Jewish people around the world - which comes at an extremely tense time. Israel, he says, is likely to take retaliatory action.

Last week, Israeli forces launched a raid into northern Gaza in which more than 120 Palestinians - including many civilians - were killed.

Shortly after the Jerusalem shooting, Islamic Jihad, said four of its fighters had been killed in an Israeli air strike in the southern Gaza town of Khan Younis.

Israel says the measures are designed to stamp out frequent rocket fire by Palestinian militants.

Recent rocket attacks have hit deeper into southern Israel, reaching Ashkelon, the closest large city to the Gaza Strip.

Targeted because of their faith by the "religion of peace?"
    Last edited by miklcolt45; March 6th, 2008 at 05:28 PM. Reason: add a line
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

2. Remove Ads

NBC just reported it was a single gunman entered a classroom that contained 12 young students and opened fire and that when he stepped back into a hallway was fired upon and killed by another Student with a rifle and a Military or Police member, also armed that had rushed to the sound of gunfire.

Jerusalem Gunman Shoots up Seminary

I have been following this story all day, and have finally heard through the news and other sources that the gunman was apparently stopped by an armed student and an Israeli soldier who engaged the gunman and were able to stop the attack. If this is true, it is amazing how little I am hearing about how a couple of armed individuals were able to stop this horrendous attack.......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member

Another school shooting....in Israel (could have been worse)..

Killer was stopped by ARMED student & killed by soldier......

BBC NEWS | Middle East | Eight killed at Jerusalem school
    The gunman entered the library at the Mercaz Harav seminary on Thursday evening, where about 80 students were gathered, and fired an AK-47 rifle for several minutes, witnesses say.

One of the students, Yitzhak Dadon, reportedly shot the gunman twice before he was finally killed by an off-duty Israeli army officer, who had gone to the school after hearing gunfire.

"I shot him twice in the head," he told the Reuters news agency.

"He started to sway and then someone else with a rifle fired at him, and he died."
    How bad would it have been had someone with a gun NOT been there?

This is a good example of why campus carry in the US should be allowed.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Administrator
    500 to 600 rounds were fired at these young students.
    I think that 20 more students were wounded in addition to the ones that were killed.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Latest news (11:00 p.m.) seems to be 8 killed, 9 wounded.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

The only appropriate response involves large amounts of napalm dropped with crazed abandon on the West Bank and Gaza.

The only measured part of the response needs to be "How much napalm can we fit onto this aircraft and still maintain flight safety?"

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I have been following this story all day, and have finally heard through the news and other sources that the gunman was apparently stopped by an armed student and an Israeli soldier who engaged the gunman and were able to stop the attack. If this is true, it is amazing how little I am hearing about how a couple of armed individuals were able to stop this horrendous attack.......
    And I would doubt that we will receive a whole lot of press coverage of those type of details as it isn't for the "common good" in the leftist-extremist media world.
    Peace through superior firepower

Luke 11:21
    "When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    The only appropriate response involves large amounts of napalm dropped with crazed abandon on the West Bank and Gaza.

The only measured part of the response needs to be "How much napalm can we fit onto this aircraft and still maintain flight safety?"
    +_1,000,000,00
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Keep in mind that an Israeli soldier is an ordinary citizen.

I agree. It made my blood boil when I heard the news reports about large crowds in Gaza gathering to cheer the murders. It's a false dichotomy to suggest that the Hamas terrorists are separate and distinct from the greater Palestinian population.

Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post

May I be the second forum member to support your post?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member

An officer and a hero

An officer and a hero | Jerusalem Post

As the tragic events of Thursday began to become more clear, it became increasingly obvious that the hero of the evening was Paratroopers Capt. David Shapira, a father of two young children who proved to be the right man in the right place during the bloody attack.

Shapira was supposed to have been at his base, but he left to perform errands for his battalion, trading places with another officer for the weekend.

The 29-year-old operations officer in the 890th Battalion had just bathed his children, and had put one of them to sleep when he heard explosions coming from the Mercaz Harav Yeshiva across the street.

Although he first thought the noise was from pre-Purim firecrackers, he quickly realized that the explosions were gunshots. Grabbing his service weapon, he ran out of the house toward the yeshiva where he himself had studied.

At the entrance to the yeshiva in the capital's Kiryat Moshe neighborhood, Shapira ran into a group of police officers who were standing outside the building, listening to the gunshots from inside. They warned him not to go in, but Shapira pushed them aside and entered.

The officer tracked the terrorist to the library, and, according to his own account, got within two to three meters of his target. Shapira shot 16 bullets at the terrorist, immediately neutralizing him.

And then - like any good officer - Shapira notified his commander. He called the head of the 890th Battalion, and informed him that he had neutralized the terrorist - and was searching the area to make sure that other terrorists had not taken cover in the building.

And with that - at least from the perspective of the young officer - his role was over. He and his wife, Hodaya, who is in the late stages of pregnancy, planned a quiet weekend together.

But on Friday, Shapira received a phone call from an admirer with roots deep in the Paratrooper's longtime rival, the Golani Brigade.

Chief of General Staff Lt.-Gen. Gabi Ashkenazi called to express his admiration for Shapira's actions - and to hear firsthand an account of the events of the night before.

Ashkenazi expressed admiration for the "fast and correct" way in which the captain responded to the attack, adding that this is how he expects "any officer to behave, whether in his unit, on the roads or on leave."

"In your actions," Ashkenazi told Shapira, "you brought expression to the values of the spirit of the IDF. You demonstrated personal leadership, determination, calmness, bravery and pursuit of your enemy until he was neutralized."

"Shapira shot 16 bullets at the terrorist, immediately neutralizing him." Now that's the way to neutralize someone.
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

(Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

This is offered in the context of the upcoming Supreme Court Decision on the Second Amendment: “the right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.” People should be aware of what actually happened...you can cut and paste the website address, as I am unable to insert it. The following is a little long, but must be said.

"A private Israeli citizen, armed and onsite, defended the rest of the students at the Israeli seminary after the gunmen killed seven. The American press grossly distorted and misrepresented the events surrounding that tragedy, in order to persuade their American audience, that they do NOT likewise have the right to defend themselves against criminals in the streets, or in their government. But before you get to that article, I thought I’d lay out the issue that’s at stake. Please bear with me.

If you want some background about Court rulings on the Second Amendment, here’s a great little article about the difference of opinion (the huge GAP) that exists between the American people and their government concerning the Constitutional right to keep and bear arms:

Do you have a legal right to own a gun? - USATODAY.com

In the dozen or so news stories I've read on the terrorist attack at the Mercaz Harav yeshiva seminary in Jerusalem, there's been little mention that the terrorist was shot and killed by an armed citizen. ABC News reported, "The attack ended when he was shot dead by Israeli security services." Should I call that what it appears to be, a bold faced lie, or just an honest mistake? That and the lack of mention by other outlets strikes me as suspicious, and is reminiscent of the biased coverage of the Appalachian School of Law shootings in 2002 and the shootings at the Pearl, Mississippi High School in 1997, both of which were stopped by armed bystanders.

The Washington Post reported, "The attacker fired dozens, perhaps hundreds of rounds, witnesses said, before he was killed by an Israeli army officer who rushed into the school after hearing the shots."

The Brisbane Times reported, "Jerusalem police chief Aharon Franco said a lone gunman carried out the attack and was killed by an Israeli army officer who lives nearby and ran to the school after hearing gunfire."

Fox News reported, "A seminary graduate who is an army officer and lives nearby rushed into the seminary with his weapon and killed the gunman, [David Simchon, head of the seminary] told Israel Radio. 'He saw the terrorist shooting, and with amazing resourcefulness he went into one of the rooms and managed to kill him,' he said."

These reports don't jive with, and actually contradict, the following from Y Net News.com, which reported, "'A yeshiva student who shot the Jerusalem terrorist says he was busy studying when suddenly shots rang out, prompting him to grab his gun and eventually kill the Palestinian attacker. We realized something happened so I cocked my handgun,' Yitzhak Dadon told Ynet Thursday evening. 'I went up on the roof and waited for the terrorist. Meanwhile, I saw blood and shattered glass,' Dadon said. 'The terrorist continue firing in the air, so I waited to see him again, and then I shot him twice in the head.' Dadon says the terrorist continued firing even after he was hurt. 'He kept on firing until an IDF officer arrived and shot him again,' Dadon said."

Which of these is correct, and whether or not Alan Gottlieb's news release (below) is true, it appears that the terrorist was indeed killed by an armed bystander - either Mr. Dadon or the unidentified, off duty, army officer.

Citizens Committee for the
    Right to Keep and Bear Arms
    12500 N.E. Tenth Place
    Bellevue, WA 98005
    CCRKBA SAYS PRESS PURPOSELY DOWNPLAYS KEY ROLE OF ARMED STUDENT IN JERUSALEM
    For Immediate Release: March 7, 2008

BELLEVUE, WA – An armed student at Jerusalem's Mercaz Haray seminary played a crucial role in stopping a gun-wielding terrorist Thursday, but the American press is downplaying his heroism because it proves that armed students can stop campus gunmen, the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms said today.

Yitzhak Dadon, 40, was described as “a private citizen who had a gun license and was able to shoot the gunman with his pistol” by reporter Etgar Lefkovitz with the Jerusalem Post. However, many news agencies in the United States are downplaying Dadon’s decisive role in the incident.

“Yitzhak Dadon is a hero,” said CCRKBA Chairman Alan Gottlieb, “and he is living proof that armed students have a place on college campuses. Thankfully, his quick action was reported by the international press, including Mr. Lefkovitz, so unlike incidents here in the United States where the press was able to completely ignore the actions of armed students or teachers, the truth about this incident will not be suppressed.

“Mr. Dadon is not going to become a victim of this conspiracy of silence,” Gottlieb continued. “Elitist American college administrators, the national press, nor anti-gun politicians can sweep this incident under their rug.”

Internationally published reports say Dadon studies at the yeshiva, and had his pistol when the shooting erupted. When the gunman emerged from a library, Dadon reportedly shot him twice in the head. The gunman was subsequently shot by the off-duty soldier.

“Yitzhak Dadon’s apparently well-placed bullets interrupted a rampage,” Gottlieb said. “What a pity that someone like Mr. Dadon was not in class last April at Virginia Tech. What a tragedy that anti-gun extremism would keep him from attending class at Northern Illinois University. He would never be allowed to teach at Columbine High School, hold a job at Trolley Square in Salt Lake City, or go shopping at Omaha’s Westroads Mall.

“America's acquiescence to anti-gun hysteria has led to one tragedy after another,” Gottlieb stated. “This disastrous policy has given us nothing but broken hearts and body counts, and it’s got to end. The heroism of an armed Israeli seminary student halfway across the world sends a message that we needn't submit to murder in victim disarmament zones. That’s why his actions are getting such short shrift from America’s press. It's a story they are loathe to report because it affirms a philosophy of self-reliance that they despise.”

Jeffery
    Last edited by joelg; March 11th, 2008 at 06:08 PM. Reason: remove last name
    Semper Vigilantia - Semper Paratus
    NRA Life Member

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    I'm wondering myself which story is true...

Links