Creepy nut casing my house today - Page 2

Creepy nut casing my house today

This is a discussion on Creepy nut casing my house today within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; report it to the police and keep the neighbors informed (if legal where you live) open carry on your property. 1. speeds up the draw ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Creepy nut casing my house today

report it to the police and keep the neighbors informed
    (if legal where you live) open carry on your property.
    1. speeds up the draw a bit...if it comes to that
    2. perhaps the "unintentional show of force" might move him to a softer target
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    Agree with posts above.

I would suggest keeping your dog inside if you don't already for added safety (poisoning, etc). Also, if he ever broke in, he'd have a not so nice welcoming committee. I'd also keep the outside lights on at night too. A few video cameras mounted in random spots (the kind that can see at night) would also be a good idea. I'm sure some people here can post some that are relatively inexpensive.

Thanks guys, really appreciate the advice.

Sitting here waiting to see if he passes by. I'm feeling a little better because I just told my crazy neighbor who is now just as concerned as I am (2 sets of eyes are better than one is what I'm thinking).

Giving some thought to trying to hang back and follow the guy if he passes. I'd feel a whole lot better if I can find out where he works or lives.
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Palm Vides offer some inexpensive security set up. I would look in to that for a CCTV set up
    SAPPERS BREACH BUTT NAKED

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American GI. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Supporting hunting is not supporting the 2nd Amendment !

Watch your dog. I wouldn't bet against poison or stabbing, if the weirdo is serious. A small wire through the guts will send your dog to the vet, possibly kill it over the long haul, but would definitely take him/her out of action. Be safe.

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    As mentioned before, stay alert! The field gives a burglar a big advantage for picking a house. They can usually move freely to and from hauling off stuff without being noticed. My brother's house got cleaned out in broad daylight because it was out of the way and noone saw the crooks hauling off his stuff. I would have a video camera on hand at the ready. Next time you see him, step out and start recording, zoom in on his face. When he sees you are on your game and not playing around, he will more then likely decide your house isn't worth it.

Just to keep you guys updated.

He passed by again last Friday (right after my last post). The dog was inside at the time so I didn't get a "heads up" and I didn't get to witness the same odd behavior. I was checking out the front door every couple of minutes and noticed him right after he had passed my house. I decided to follow him.

Following someone that is walking when you are in a car is much harder than I thought it would be. I managed to track him for a little over 3 miles before I lost him. He cut through a school yard in the middle of a residential area and I just couldn't tell where he would exit (maybe he works in the school). I also didn't want to keep driving around the school and have someone call the police on me.

Since then, nothing has happened.

I've been looking out for the guy but, he hasn't passed by since last Friday 3/7). Doesn't mean he's not passing by, just not when we're home....don't know if this is good or bad.

I haven't involved the police yet because I was hoping to document his behavior with pictures or video first (I have a camera and video camera by the front door). I also wanted to confront him and give him a shot at explaining himself, the way he responds verbally may give me a better idea of the type of person I'm dealing with.

Considering this all started last Thursday 3/6, maybe tomorrow he'll come by again? I don't know
    If you can read this, thank a teacher; if you are reading it in English, thank a soldier.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Well, here is my 2 and a half cents worth

You need to file a suspicious persons/activity report with your local police. This is important for more than just your legal protection. This individual may be a suspect in some other crimes and the police have been unable to track his movements. His typical style of crimes may just be that he works an area until he hits his target and then disappears to work a whole new area. He has allready shown himself more than willing to walk long distances and take a lot of oddball paths and shortcuts. This would make him difficult to track.

If you are worried about becoming "that guy" who always calls the police than maybe you should consider contacting one of the officers who handled one of your previous complaints. At least then you allready have a previous raport with that officer. Keep the conversation casual and friendly, and just ask him if your concerns are legitimate.

You shouldn't get involved in the "CIA" follow and surveylance game. If he does have bad intentions, he probably all ready noticed that you followed him. You are potentially setting yourself up for a violent encounter in which you will be labled the aggressor. At the very least, you just gave the BG cause to file a menacing or harassment report against you.

Post your property "No Trespassing" and "Beware of Dog". This is for your legal protection in case this guy tries to pet your dog and gits bitten. Do this immediately, and the next time he comes by and tries to make friends with your dog, verbally tell him to leave your dog alone and vacate the area. Do it forcefully and in a way that it leaves no room for discussion. Now you have taken all reasonable and prudent measures to warn this person. If he ignores your verbal warnings/commands or argues with you, call the police. If he leaves but comes back another day and starts "harassing" your dog again, call the police.

Good luck and stay vigilant. Don't be afraid to be firm and forceful when you encounter this individual. The key to prevention is to make sure this person understands that your house would be the worst target he ever chose in his criminal career. If your wife is not armed, she needs to be.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

I would call the police too. Since you mention LIRR, I assume you are in either Nassau or Suffolk. I would also check with the sheriff's office. Stay safe!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Sounds likeyou are on the right track. Stay frosty and keep those doors locked. That dog sounds great. Probably the best deterance. Make sure he sleeps out in the living room where he will hear everything.

I would have done as you did as far as the confontation goes. Nothing wrong with challenging someone in that situation. Being in KY I would have tucked my shirt over my weapon to make sure it was visible. Nothing wrong with letting someone know that you are not an easy target and that they are risking their life by breaking into your home. I have that luxury though.

Does your wife have her CCW yet? Might be a good excuse to bring it up.

Good luck and keep your guard up.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    Post your property "No Trespassing" and "Beware of Dog". This is for your legal protection in case this guy tries to pet your dog and gits bitten.
    My dog once bit someone years ago. Our lawyer specifically recommended that we donít put up a sign. His legal logic was that if we put up a sign about our dog, then we must know that the dog is prone to biting and therefore dangerous, and if we know this then we do continue to keep the dog, and keeping a dog that is dangerous could open us up to negligence charges in civil court.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Distinguished Member Array nutz4utwo's Avatar
    good advice all around. I fear for the safety of your dog most of all. From poisoning, to kidnapping for dog fighting, nothing good can come from a stranger messing with your dog.

Keeping your neighbors informed with photos and a what to look out for sounds smart too. Even if you and wife aren't home, they might be...
    Take a trip down to local police station and see what they say. Do it nicely and inquisitively and you will not be "that guy"

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AMH View Post
    My dog once bit someone years ago. Our lawyer specifically recommended that we donít put up a sign. His legal logic was that if we put up a sign about our dog, then we must know that the dog is prone to biting and therefore dangerous, and if we know this then we do continue to keep the dog, and keeping a dog that is dangerous could open us up to negligence charges in civil court.
    I don't particularly agree with that logic, but I am not an attorney. The ultimate reason of why I suggest for him to put some kind of posting is so the OP can demonstrate to the Police that he has taken reasonable steps to give the potential BG fair warning that he is not welcome there and that the OP will take steps to prosecute the BG if he continues to hang around.

I only say this out of personal experience. Too often I have watched some real creeps get to walk away from a trespass, menacing, or harrasment charge because the intended victim did not give "fair" warning to the BG that his behaviour was not welcome or wanted.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Right. Nothing wrong with the no trespassing sign. It addresses your issue while still addressing AMH's point.

-john

EDIT: FWIW, our neighborhood has set up an email mailing list. We use it to communicate issues about criminal activity and potential criminal activity. I think it is a good idea. And if you had pictures, you could mail them around. Maybe someone knows what his story is, or at least they would know who to look for.

EDIT EDIT: +1 on not following him. I think SOAS hit it on the head. It is just going to complicate your case and perhaps really mess things up for you.

be careful and alert. good luck to you.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links