Put your hands were I can see them...

This is a discussion on Put your hands were I can see them... within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Here is a video of two police officers making an arrest. They are arresting another police officer. Of course, he knows all the right things ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar

Here is a video of two police officers making an arrest. They are arresting another police officer. Of course, he knows all the right things to say and is trying to get out of the arrest.

Ya, I know it is a movie and ya, we all know the BG is going to try something. But the question is, say you confront a BG in your home. You tell him to put his hands where you can see them and he starts these diversion tactics to get at his weapon. You know what he is trying to do, but at what point is that final warning truly a final warning? When do you shoot when he is not obeying your instructions and you suspect/know he is going for a weapon?
    Attached Files
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

If I found a BG in my home, there would be no warning.BG, 911
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Senior Moderator
    You know what he is trying to do, but at what point is that final warning truly a final warning?
    When he steps in the door uninvited.

Make no mistake, if he is at gunpoint and makes a move, he is trying to kill you.

Whatever you do is up to you, but I am not waitng to see a weapon. There is no point to it.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    At the point where he appears, within the totality of the circumstances, to be REACHING for a weapon, with intent to kill or inflict serious bodily injury.

Deception is merely a factor in the totality of the circumstances. It is not, in and of itself, justification to use deadly force.

Two points:

In the video, the "good guy" officers go for cover once the shooting starts. Since cover was nearby, why didn't they START OUT there?

Always remember when you tell someone to do something, that you are programming yourself to EXPECT them to move in that manner. Think of this in relation to the command, "Put your hands where I can see them", or, more specifically, "Take your hands OUT OF YOUR POCKETS". What's the concern with their hands in their pockets? That they might have a weapon concealed in there, already in their hands? And, by giving that command, you are essentially giving them free passage to pull that weapon out. There may be no discernable difference, until just before the actual attack, between their visible actions when they comply with your command, and when they begin an attack.

If you're going to tell someone to take their hands out of their pockets, tell them to turn around, facing away from you, first.

....and move to a location other than where they first saw you standing before you tell them to take their hands out of their pockets.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    If you're going to tell someone to take their hands out of their pockets, tell them to turn around, facing away from you, first.

....and move to a location other than where they first saw you standing before you tell them to take their hands out of their pockets.
    amen Sgt.......amen
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

I'm not going to have any conversations or arguments or give commands to any BG I find in my home.

If I were acting in some kind of official capacity and trying to detain someone, I would be a little less "puss-like" than the blonde guy in the clip. OC would be nice, but the guy is clearly looking around, trying to find an escape route. In other words, he isn't giving up....so, he (obviously since we saw the end) may end up getting shot.

Face down, arms out at a 45 degree angle, face away from me, cross your ankles, cross them the other way - that's basically the idea. Then you go up and start kicking a lot. This is all theoretical and only feasible if you have lots of guys with guns watching your back. Otherwise its probably best to just shoot or let them go. Try to detain someone by yourself is asking to get killed....IMO

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    ...If you're going to tell someone to take their hands out of their pockets, tell them to turn around, facing away from you, first.

Gooood tip SgtMac. Seriously, I wouldn't have thought of that. I can't wait for my next (advanced) class so I can learn even more.

Did everyone notice the unsafe shooting background w/the waitress?
    An armed populace are called citizens.
    An unarmed populace are called subjects.

Quote Originally Posted by exactlymypoint View Post
    You tell him to put his hands where you can see them ...
    That is what you loudly shout in the .010 seconds before beginning your volley of fire. EOS.

That was a movie in real life I would bet they would have MT'd their mags into him about the time he put his hand behind his back.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

CLICK (Safety coming off) BANG, BANG, BANG etc.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

Lead Moderator
    Movies are scripted. If they don't follow the directors directions they do it over. In real life you get one chance and few people will try some movie trick. An attack is fast and violent.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Great question / example. I watched it a few times. What makes it hard is that, with editing, your sight picture alternates between perspectives. When the camera shot goes back to Snipes, his strong side hand is already out of sight as he deceptively tries to get them to focus on the hat.

So to answer the question, I'd shoot as soon as I can't see that hand. Especially if I have reason to suspect Wesley is armed.

I find BG is in my home, and if he is lucky enough that I give a warning and his hand(s) go out of sight I'm shooting with extreme prejudice to "stop the threat".
    There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
    - General George Patton Jr

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The 'warning period' ended when you decided to enter my home illegally.

Stay armed...shoot straight...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Member Array Ragin Cajun's Avatar
    Bad Guy in my home! There will be no warning! He knows he don't belong. The only warning he may get is if I miss on the first shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links