Night lights in your home.

This is a discussion on Night lights in your home. within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; No night lights on in the house here. I'm sort of an energy conservationist. For those wondering or debating on flashlights, weapon mounted or otherwise------let ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Night lights in your home.

No night lights on in the house here. I'm sort of an energy conservationist. For those wondering or debating on flashlights, weapon mounted or otherwise------let your ears tell you where to aim first in the total darkness. When you go to identify with the light, aim high or to your eye level----then turn on the light momentarily---in total darkness, this instantly blinds whoever it is you're lighting up, and there is a sense of shock when that happens. Flash, assess, and move or shoot! This way you will limit your exposure to becoming a target with a light. The possible BG who has just broken in will be listening also, but more than likely will be hearing the sound of his own heartbeat. You are a soldier in your own fort---turn the element of surprise around quickly to your favor. I like my weapon mounted light for these reasons on my house gun. Integrate it into your practice scenarios---practice often, and it's employment will become second nature. I'll have both hands on my pistol----not one and one.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    I see nothing wrong with night lights. I have the advantage that I know every square inch of my house like the back of my hand, so I could get away with minimal lighting if needed. Also, our alarm would alert us (and all of our neighbors) as soon as a door or window is opened.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    It WOULD be useful to turn all the lights in the house (EXCEPT for those in the room you're in) up to EXTREME brightness for about 5 seconds, and then turn them all completely off.....

That way, you'd be able to see, but an intruder wouldn't.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    As I said in another post, I have three small dimly lit LED night lights scattered about my home. When I come in at night, and I leave all my lights off while I am at work so my house is dark upon arrival, I cannot see a DANG THING inside until my eyes become accustomed to the very dim blue glow produced by the LED night lights.

Once inside, of course, I turn on my interior lights before I move about just in case.

At night, if I get up for whatever reason, these little blue LED's produce just enough blue glow to not stump my toe. I also believe I could clearly see a person if they were inside the house, but I believe they would have a lot of trouble navigating for a few minutes at least. This gives me another advantage and buys time.

I still keep a Tac light on my night stand along with my .45 XD.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerunner View Post
    Dumb question, but does a flashlite mounted on the gun show the perp where to shoot?
    Not if you know how to use it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I'm a little surprised that no one has mentioned a strobe such as the Gladius or a Fenix. I've ordered a Fenix to mount on my shotgun. With the flick of a switch you've got 200 lumens of blinding LED strobe that will allow you to see perfectly but daze the crap out of anybody else.

A friend of mine tested it on me in a pitch dark house and even though I thought I was ready for it, I was totally unprepared for the complete loss of orientation. He hit me with it at around 30 feet and I simply had to cover my eyes...You just don't have a choice. Then while leaving it on he was able to close the distance and in seconds he was standing right in front of me and I had no idea. They're amazing. Of course you don't have to mount it to your weapon if you don't want to and they can be had for around 70 bucks. Much cheaper than a surefire forearm would be for my gun and ten times as effective.

Having experienced the 200 lumen LED strobe from both ends of it first hand, I'm convinced that it's the only way to go from here on out.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Sergeant Mac View Post
    It WOULD be useful to turn all the lights in the house (EXCEPT for those in the room you're in) up to EXTREME brightness for about 5 seconds, and then turn them all completely off.....

That way, you'd be able to see, but an intruder wouldn't.
    Yeah... I can do that. The X-10 stuff is pretty nice if you use the right equipment and use computer control. I can configure macros that will do exactly what you described with the push of a single button. In addition, you get all the home automation stuff too. All in all, it has a very high WAF (wife acceptance factor).

I've thought about other things I could do with it, since I can also control a whole-home audio system that way... I *could* play white noise, which has the effect of deadening sound. Or I could put voices that move around the house via the audio system. All that is kind of silly, but fun to think about. You can turn a home invasion into a bout of psychological warfare.

I'd be happy to help anyone with advice or info if they want to mess with this stuff. And the good news is that it's *cheap*. You can buy inexpensive "starter" kits for under $50 that will let you turn on a handful of lights via remote control.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

I leave a small kitchen light on that lights up the kitchen and that end of the hallway via indirect light. I also leave my outside garage lights on so if I look out the window, I can see my boat, and other toys in the yard.

The bedroom side of the hallway is dark, so if someone has broken in they are in the light and I’m in the darkness. At least until my G17 goes off…

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackPR View Post
    I handle things a bit differently. I have lots of X10 control in my house [...]
    BlackPR, would you be willing to give a little info (perhaps start another thread) on what sorts of X10 equipment and control/audit software you have set up to do all this? I have done some very casual looking into home automation a few times, but not enough to know how to do something this comprehensive...

Thanks!
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

So fo those of you with children do you just tell them to stay in their rooms if they ever hear something? I can walk my house at night with my eyes closed buth that doesn't mean I can make out someones face in the dark. How can you take the time to make sure its not a loved one without getting shot in the process?

And the good news is that it's *cheap*. You can buy inexpensive "starter" kits for under $50 that will let you turn on a handful of lights via remote control.
    Where do you get it? Website??

i guess i"m lucky. my apartment parking lot lights are bright enough
    to provide enough lighting to see around diffrent rooms. not to dark,
    not to brite(inside). but enough to see. still keep flashlight on me though.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Quote Originally Posted by fernset View Post
    Where do you get it? Website??
    There's a lot. x10.com, smarthome.com and others... I use the activehome software to control it all (the timers and macros and such). Some of it is junk, some of it is good. I am thinking about writing up a document (with part numbers and such) describing how I built mine.
    The facts are indisputable. There is more data supporting the benefits of Conceal Carry than there is supporting global warming. If you choose ignorance, in light of all the evidence, in order to bolster your irrational fear of guns, you are a greater threat to society than any gun owner.

Senior Member Array bluelineman's Avatar
    There's a lot. x10.com, smarthome.com and others... I use the activehome software to control it all (the timers and macros and such). Some of it is junk, some of it is good. I am thinking about writing up a document (with part numbers and such) describing how I built mine.
    Please do. I'm sure many would like to learn how to do it.

I have night lights because its dark.But if someone want's to come in with the dog here. There more than welcome.

BlackPR,

What do you think about the following? Is a "package deal" the way to go?

X10 4 Wireless Camera Security System - NOW ONLY $269.99

I have been debating this issue for a while. I have a 6 month old baby boy and security is now a greater concern. I also look forward to your write-up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links