The Warning Shot

This is a discussion on The Warning Shot within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; This is rich. Basically here's a summary of a coversation I recently had. I'm not in quotes the other party is. If I ever had ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Warning Shot

The Warning Shot

This is rich. Basically here's a summary of a coversation I recently had.

I'm not in quotes the other party is.

If I ever had to defend myself I'd fire a warning shot first.
    What? I'm sorry but have you thought about the many problems this presents? For one thing the numbers tell us we're well within contact range already. Wasting a golden opportunity to take a shot could very well mean death. (Then I summarize how 80% of all such things take place within 7 yards, etc.)

Not to mention the safety hazard you've just intentionally created. Where exactly are you firing this warning shot?

What if you could somehow see it coming?
    If the situation requires I present a firearm, I intend to use it not ***** foot around with it. And odds are pretty good if I could see it coming, I'd have avoided it. I do it all the time. The firearm only comes into play when awareness has failed or will not work. That does not happen all the time, I'm happy to report.

What if there was a crazy man shooting people in a crowd? You might hit someone. You'd be better off scaring him away.
    And firing a warning shot will address this situation how? Look I don't like the idea of shooting into a crowd at all, but in that situation if you don't do something, it's just going to get worse. You might be the only person there that can do anything at all. I hate to use the quote but "Good, bad, you're the guy with the gun."

Could you sleep at night knowing you were armed and you sat there and watched some nutjob waste a bunch of people? I'd go insane from the guilt I could have at least tried.

So that's your response to everything is just kill them without even trying to out think them?
    Out think them how exactly? Look a firearm is the only form of self defense which often gives the attacker a last ditch chance to surrender or flee. No martial art can say that. But that's not its intentional use. It just happens by happy coincidence sometimes.

I spend all day gently persuading uninterested, hyperactive people who resent me to do things they don't want to do. And it works because these are people not goblins that attack people on the street. People respond to warnings and cues, goblins do not. Don't confuse a goblin with a human being.

The only thing that a goblin deserves is your hot lead. No visual or other type of threat scares them. If they get the chance to run and take it, well good for you (not them) because you avoid a very messy situation that way.

You sure are determined not to let anyone walk away are you?
    And I let it go at that. I was tired of it at that point and didn't care if he got the last word in or not.

But the conversation has a benefit: I'm questioning my paradigm. I think I was too quick to completely brush the idea off.

I pose a question CCWers: IS there ever a scenario when the very idea of the warning shot might come into play? I can't think of one.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    The only time I may consider a warning shot would be someone who was wielding a non projectile weapon and attempting to close to engage another person. Even then I probably would shout a warning over firing a round. Mainly , not to waste ammo.

Lead Moderator
    Warn all you want, but when you pull that trigger it better be for keeps!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Well, if the teller won't open the safe... oh wait, wrong forum! :chairshot

VIP Member
    The bad things about warning shots is that a particularly humorless fellow named Murphy generally shows up at times like that and does nasty things like encourage the "warning shot" bullet to strike a baby carriage or head towards a pack of Catholic nuns.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

VIP Member
    My answer is simple and concise. Warning shots are illegal in my jurisdiction. To fire a warning shot means I will go to jail.

Euc, some people just can't be argued with. Your text indicates that you encountered one.

-Scott-

Administrator

How Sad Would It Be ???

How Sad Would It Be to have your potential attacker "run off" & and innocent person 6 blocks away be killed by your warning shot.

1943 - 2009

The Only Time A Warning Shot Is Justified.......

.....is when the BG is running across the frozen Bering Sea towards Siberia.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    In a civilian personal defense situation I cannot image a situation where a warning shot would be a good idea. You have to account for that round.

Any situation where a warning shot might be possible time-wise, having your firearm drawn and issuing a verbal warning would be just as effective and much safer.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I actually sat here and thought about it for a couple of minutes and I cannot conceive of a situation which would warrant a warning shot instead of a verbal command, or firing for effect.

Euc, don't you just love touchy-feely idiots that know so much more than you?
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Know your backstop...I don't think "somewhere in the sky" counts, gravity will bring that projectile screaming back to earth and unless your super skilled in physics (assuming you know where the shot went to begin with) you probably don't know where that landing zone will be. Also agree with others comments that if time permits a warning shot, I'd perfer it be a warning shout. Verbal warning is fair and serious enough.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    The only warning shot I am likely to give is if, for whatever reason, I miss them with the first round, and they run away.

I am generally soft spoken, but I have a voice that carries. My Dad was hard of hearing. When he was still alive, he couldn't hear the doorbell without his hearing aid, which he slept without, and you could practically have beaten the door down before he woke up. I could wake him up from outside the house with one or two shouts. In other words, if I give a warning to some BG at all, it will be verbal, and anyone within half a block will hear every word.

VIP Member
    I would let out a warning shot into the air...........inside the lungs of the BG.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    I am in the verbal (spelled 'SHOUT') camp - if warning is deemed useful.

I think we are essentially on the same page here. Euc's ''other party'' is probably also of the ''if you carry and a gun you are asking for trouble'' mentality.

There is little we can do to probe their minds to find the all but non-existent logic region... they are way to emotion driven.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    I think we are essentially on the same page here. Euc's ''other party'' is probably also of the ''if you carry and a gun you are asking for trouble'' mentality.

There is little we can do to probe their minds to find the all but non-existent logic region... they are way to emotion driven.
    These are the same kinds of people who can't understand why you can't just "shoot the gun out of their hand," or "just shoot them in the leg."

I think most of them have seen too many movies.
    "Being a predator isn't always comfortable but the only other option is to be prey. That is not an acceptable option." ~Phil Messina

If you carry in Condition 3, you have two empty chambers. One in the weapon...the other between your ears.

Matt K.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links