What if the BG tries to leave nicely?

This is a discussion on What if the BG tries to leave nicely? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Just taser him and keep pushing the button till the cops show up or break out the pepper spray. Don't tell me I'm the only ...

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: What if the BG tries to leave nicely?

Just taser him and keep pushing the button till the cops show up or break out the pepper spray.
    Don't tell me I'm the only one carrying a gun and non-leathal protection at the same time.

2. Remove Ads

wyldman - I don't think you are the only one. I think your plan has lots of holes in it, which has been discussed in detail in other threads recently here.

To the OP - its a tough call. If you already hesitated, the BG already has the jump on you - regardless of where his hands are and whats in them, IMO. If his hands weren't up, and just as you decided to shoot he started to put them up quickly, they would already be up before you had time to change your mind about shooting. I don't remember who posted the great article in the last couple months about shots that appeared to be in the back but were actually fired (consciously) while the threat was still presented. A BG in my house would have to impress me very much with his total harmlessness to convince me not to shoot. I'm not easily impressed....

Just my two cents.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by wyldman View Post
    Don't tell me I'm the only one carrying a gun and non-leathal protection at the same time.

Nope...see my posts. I say zap him if you can, cap him if you have to.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Ummm...Arms straight up in the air is not going to look good.
    Am hardly suggesting capping a criminal when he has surrendered and his arms are "up." Am merely stating fact that body parts can move (or flop) every direction when someone's turning, crouching, attempting to avoid being struck by something, attempting to dive through something (ie, a window), or being shot and contained. Certainly, forensics will show many things in an ill-fated attempt to kill a departing criminal, though it doesn't show everything.

Simple testimony about what the criminal was appearing to do, from the vantage point of the aggrieved party and in view of the "reasonable man" standard, goes a long, long way toward providing facts in the case. In that sense, the direction one's arms are pointing is merely one, lesser indicator. Far more crucial are the contextual facts, such as the degree of subservience and complying to direct and urgent commands, the apparent tension and resistance evident in the non-verbal posture of the criminal, the changing threat level during containment of the threat. There is little else that matters, so long as that threat still exists.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I would let him leave, get my phone, and dial 911. While I am doing that, I will watch him open my door and leave, and once he's out of my driveway, I will watch for him to see if he's getting into a vehicle, or walking away. I would then give the dispatcher a full description of what the suspect looks like and what vehicle he is driving if any.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

If he/she has an open route to the door, I can't do anything but allow him to leave then phone the police and describe him/her. Catching someone committing a rape is another matter.

And it doesn't matter if some think that this procedure is wrong, it's the law as far as I've been made aware. You can only shoot someone attacking you or your loved ones. And you can only shoot to stop, not to kill.
    Robert John Stewart, The Lost King of Scotland

I love My Mississippi, I'll let the CSI team reconstruct how he ended up vented!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

If something prompted me not to shoot upon the first encounter, and the BG attempted to get away with no threatening manner - he is gone. I will try to get license, direction of travel, etc for the LEOs. But I do not desire to take a life unless it is absolutely necessary. I value life - even that of a scum bag thief. Even if justified, I don't know how I would react after taking a life. I have read other's stories and most had an extreme hard time dealing with it. If I shot someone while they were trying to get away with no opposing threat - WOW! There will be some that will say just being in the home/apt is threat enough. Maybe. But each situation will always be different and you will only have a fraction of a second to make that shoot/don't shoot. These topics are actually good for conditioning one's thought process if a situation does occur. jmo

I agree with Fast cloud and my CCW instructor also a LEO said the same thing.
    MO castle doc. states that you can use leathal force to stop a criminal from fleeing. I would rather use the taser to prevent him from leaving then the glock.

In Louisiana it is open season on burglers inside your house. You dont have to tag them, no bag limit and no season limit.

A lot of humor here. But how many of you have sat in on a criminal and them civil trial as a result of a shooting and watched the gun owner leave in financial ruin? I have and it wasn't pretty. If you can avoid the confrontation, all the better. Case law over the past ten years or so has allowed the deceased family to attach rights to a civil case. You can be tied up for years defending yourself. I'm not putting my financial future in the hands of a law that can be overturned or modified at any time.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rscalzo View Post
    A lot of humor here. But how many of you have sat in on a criminal and them civil trial as a result of a shooting and watched the gun owner leave in financial ruin? I have and it wasn't pretty. If you can avoid the confrontation, all the better. Case law over the past ten years or so has allowed the deceased family to attach rights to a civil case. You can be tied up for years defending yourself. I'm not putting my financial future in the hands of a law that can be overturned or modified at any time.
    In MS im protected against civil suit!!!
    I'm already in financial ruin..LOL !!
    You will have less then seconds to decide, There is one way in my house, And one way out. So if he moves other then dropping to the ground face down it will be toward me. If he hit's the ground we will wait on the police. My castle, My rules.
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

In MS im protected against civil suit!!!
    If you really think that will protect you, you better start looking up case law. It can be changed or modified on a whim of the courts.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Total immunity in mind only...

1) Put your life under the microscope

2) Civil suits that may not even be related to the incident...but someone tries to connect the dots

3) Media scrutiny, internet, blogs, and threats

4) Counseling costs

5) Loss of CCW (for at least a year while it is all adjudicated)

6) Confiscated weapon

7) Loved ones issues

Rick

No one is protected against civil suit in anything. You may win but that doesn't mean they can't sue you. All it takes to sue someone in most places is $15 and a trip to the courthouse. What happens after that is anyone's guess. Castle Doctorine doesn't protect you from being sued, only from them collecting if you can prove your case.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Links