What Would You Do ? - Page 2

What Would You Do ?

This is a discussion on What Would You Do ? within the Carry & Defensive Scenarios forums, part of the Defensive Carry Discussions category; Originally Posted by jcheinaman Someone shooting in the back of the store? Can we be 100% certain that this is where the shots actually came ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What Would You Do ?

Quote Originally Posted by jcheinaman View Post
    Someone shooting in the back of the store? Can we be 100% certain that this is where the shots actually came from? Who's to say that a second gunman isn't waiting for people to run into the parking lot for cover? In PA it is legal to protect the life of a third party as long as they are in a imminent death or serious bodily injury situation.

To answer your question. I wouldn't know what I would do unless this situation were to actually happen to me. One part of me would want to get out of dodge and the other part would feel guilty knowing I could have prevented an unknown # of senseless homicides.

By the time I would actually get to the parking lot and dial 911 it would probably be too late. besides I bet that many people have already dialed 911 by this point. what we need in a situation like this are for more good guys reaching for their gun rather than more people reaching for their cell phone. The cops are coming regardless if they receive 10 or 100 calls.

Same in MS, It would be harder to sleep knowing he just walked down the aisle and killed a whole family, while there is a chance I could have stopped him!! It could be your family ...nevermind. I would do what I could!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by gold40 View Post
    Consider the following situation....

You are checking out at WAL-MART and have just finished paying the casier. As you pick up your small bag of items, and start toward the exit, you hear two gunshots and screaming in the back of the store. You are legally carrying your CCW weapon, have your permit in your billfold, and an extra clip in your jacket pocket, along with your cellphone.

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?COMMENTS?
    I'd fly out the of the exit and take up a good position behind the first parked car. (probably a handicap van) Then check the front area of the store for empolyees or customers. Wait for said villain to exit the store with gun in hand (probably running) IF there were no innocent by-standers and if the only person that came running out of the store had a gun in his hand, then I'd let him have it, as shooting a fleeing felon is the legal as well as moral thing to do in MS. The police can't be everywhere...how many has he killed already? How many will he kill next time? Of course, I have an obligation to my family...that's why I practice as much as possible. But if I can prevent someone from taking innocent lives over a x-box, then I'm going to give it my best effort. Would you take a shot at a mall shooter if it presented itself? Or just slither out the first available exit...Too many people think only of themselves these days as it is, IMO. YMMV.

edited to add...If your state requires you to retreat like a six year old girl then by all means do it. I'm not advocating breaking the law. I'd hate more than anything to see someone turned into the bad guy for doing the right thing. Nothing is more sickening than that.
    "Any rationally thinking person is armed" ---Hinds Co. constable John Lewis

NRA member

Here in Georgia we now have a "stand your ground" law. If your life, or another's, is in danger you don't have to retreat. However in a case of this nature the prudent thing to do would be get outside, call 911 and observe from a safe area. When the police arrive you may be able to help with badly needed information.

Ronwill, info? I heard shots and run outside?
    Fast cloud don't shoot me!!LOL
    I would go toward the shots, I want to see who is shooting and at what!
    I have the advantage, he dosen't know im coming!
    If he shoots himself after killing whoever he went for great!!
    If I see him taking aim at anyone else, or he see's me I start shooting!!
    If I see the PD im on the ground obeying commands, telling them where he is!
    The running will tell you where he is at, stop him from killing someone's wife,husband,mother ,father,child!!

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    Fast cloud don't shoot me!!LOL
    Then don't run with the scissors...(or the x-box)

NRA member

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Cloud View Post
    the only person that came running out of the store had a gun in his hand, then I'd let him have it,
    What if this guy is another CHL person running for his life?
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    If the shots are in the rear of the store...I quickly exit (watching my surroundings)...call 911 while leaving the area as quickly as possible...the cops can handle it!

Stay armed...be smart, you're not a cop...stay safe!
    +1. I carry to protect myself an my family, not to play cop.

First, I'm calling 911 from right where I'm at -- every second counts.
    Second, I'm not leaving the store. Yea, I know -- I'm not a cop. But I do have to live with myself and I'm not sure I could do that if I thought I might have been able to help and didn't. Am I going to go wondering through the store -- gun drawn -- looking for the BG? Absolutely not! My thought would be to get the people in my immediate area to cover and take a defensive position to wait for police. My hope is that there are 30 other CCHers in the store doing the same thing in their area. At the very least, medical first responders may be overwhelmed with the number of injuries and need some help even if it's nothing more than keeping pressure on a wound. At the worst, the BG may move into my area still intent on causing harm. At that point, I hope that I can keep my cool enough to stop him from doing any more damage.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Hmmm...upon further review, I like hoss' plan better. I'd hate to shoot cdwolf...(not to mention Parchman isn't exactly Atlantis/Paridise Island.)

NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by cvhoss View Post
    First, I'm calling 911 from right where I'm at -- every second counts.
    Second, I'm not leaving the store. Yea, I know -- I'm not a cop. But I do have to live with myself and I'm not sure I could do that if I thought I might have been able to help and didn't. Am I going to go wondering through the store -- gun drawn -- looking for the BG? Absolutely not! My thought would be to get the people in my immediate area to cover and take a defensive position to wait for police. My hope is that there are 30 other CCHers in the store doing the same thing in their area. At the very least, medical first responders may be overwhelmed with the number of injuries and need some help even if it's nothing more than keeping pressure on a wound. At the worst, the BG may move into my area still intent on causing harm. At that point, I hope that I can keep my cool enough to stop him from doing any more damage.

Hoss
    you hit the nail on the head with this one

I don't know about you guys, but there is no way I am going to risk anything for Wally World unless I am directly threatened, period. It is my understanding that Wally World has never been totally kosher or friendly with CCW holders, and my personal feeling is that if I were to intervene in such a calamity, they would basically hang me out to dry in order to "limit their liability".......
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

Hoss said the same thing I was thinking. Call 911, evacuate the area/get people in safe cover, find hard cover, and wait.

There was a lot of discussion about this after the Omaha shooting, and I learned a lot. We concealed carry citizens cannot rush forward toward a problem because we then make ourselves our own targets (people with guns drawn). We should take charge of our immediate area and the people in them, especially our families. Get others behind hard cover or out of the area. Defend those people either in their retreat from the area or by taking a defensive position at the entrance of their safe area. Wait for the authorities to hunt down the shooter, unless the BG approaches. With good cover we would be able to challenge anyone we saw with a firearm to allow them to identify themselves as an overzealous CCW holder or a cop, so we wouldn't have to shoot on sight.
    But if you are authorized to carry a weapon, and you walk outside without it, just take a deep breath, and say this to yourself...
    "Baa."
    LTC(RET) Dave Grossman

Revolutionary War Veterans Association Shooter Qualification: Cook

Good plan I feel better now!! The wal-mart I shop at, my aunt works at, so Im going to the back!
    Cops are just our neighbors that we don't pay enough to risk their lives everyday!
    True there is power in numbers, but if one officer shows up and there is still shots being fired in the back of the store should he go and try to stop a murder!
    I know im not as good with my weapon as most cops, but im better then some!
    If the shots were in between the back of the store and the door alot of people would hit the ground and stay there!
    Most women would not try dragging two kids passed a man shooting at ????
    I wouldn't be able to live with myself if a minute goes by and I hear 5 more shots, then find out that he walked up on a mother with her two kids trying to hide behind a shoe display and killed them!
    Can I stop him? Will I try, oh yea!!
    Don't knock me down in the stamped of running !!

Quote Originally Posted by edr9x23super View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but there is no way I am going to risk anything for Wally World unless I am directly threatened, period. .......
    I don't plan on risking anything for Wal-Mart. I could care less how much stuff they may lose. Anything I would do would be for the innocent victims who happen to be in the store, not for the business.

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    ..........I wouldn't be able to live with myself if a minute goes by and I hear 5 more shots, then find out that he walked up on a mother with her two kids trying to hide behind a shoe display and killed them!............
    Believe me, the same thought crossed my mind while I was thinking through my answer. The biggest reason I decided that the best solution was to take up a defensive position is that I may not be the only good guy in the store with a CCH. What if I go wondering through the store and come upon a guy with a gun? Is he the BG or just another guy like me trying to help? If I shoot and it turns out he wasn't the BG, how do I live with that? As CCH holders, we don't have the advantage of a uniform. If a police officer comes upon a guy with a gun that happens to be a GG, the GG knows immediately that he is being confronted by a police officer and can react accordingly. Because of this inability to know who's a GG or BG, I still think that in a store the size of a Wal-Mart, the best offense is a good defense.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Bigice do you read your other posts? here you say we shouldn't charge after people, Then you post this!!

"God bless this man. He did a brave thing, and the right thing.

If more of the people in situations like this reacted the way people on airliners now act, there would be fewer people hurt in these incidents. To cower and run will not end the situation. If a half-dozen people would have rushed the crazy at Virginia Tech do you think he could have shot them all? I bet when he saw them rushing him it would have been his cue to eat his own bullet. When they cowered in their classrooms they made themselves sitting ducks."

So to charge or not to charge?
    By the way I agree with This quote 100%.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links